GO!

Deer attacks dog!

This Forum is to bark about the very latest and greatest in the dog world: canine news; must-have new products, toys and accessories; dog-friendly art, culture, and entertainment, and more!

Please be aware that while you are allowed to inform others about your product or service if it is in context and is part of an existing discussion, we do not allow unsolicited advertising in the forums. We will remove all posts that seem to be selling rather than informing. If you're interested in advertising on Dogster, please contact us.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Wiley

Where's that- rabbit?

Barked: Thu Jul 1, '10 7:06am PST 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADGn1GABF0Q&feature=player_embedded

The dog is OK, only some bruises to body.
[notify]
Taichi

Ninja Canine

Barked: Mon Jul 5, '10 8:15pm PST 
OMD, I'm glad the dog is okay. I probably shouldn't have watched that. I can't imagine having to watch my dog get stomped like that. It must have been horrible both for human and dog.

And the kitty too. Do you know if the cat is okay? It looks like he/she got less of a beating, but she/he was still attacked too.

The deer was with her fawn, and obviously felt threatened. You can't really blame her but it's still hard to watch.
[notify]
Wiley

Where's that- rabbit?

Barked: Fri Jul 9, '10 7:16pm PST 
Yes, the cat was fine! There is a debate now as to whether or not to cull the deer population because they are truly becoming pests.
[notify]

Jethro

My most perfect- beag to date!!!

Barked: Sat Jul 10, '10 4:16am PST 
Deer are not to be taken for granted as defenceless creatures! But even
a doe can inflict serious harm if you get between her & her fawn/s! A
buck "in rut" can pose an even bigger threat with their rack &
raging hormones when shot @ close range! I had a close call twice with
a mule deer & a white-tailed deer buck, that did not realize they had
been shot thru the heart & lungs! If not for a quick 2nd shot to the
head as they charged, I might not be typing this! Im sorry if this
description was too graphic, but we are talking about "wild-animals"
here! If you go into the woods in the fall use a stout walking stick &
even better, bring a large dog with you &if you do not own (or wish to)
own a firearm. (Pepper spray) might be a good choice as well!way to go

Edited by author Sat Jul 10, '10 4:25am PST

[notify]
Paris

support the- rabid

Barked: Sat Jul 10, '10 3:22pm PST 
I don't know about anyone else but the ungulates definitely intimidate me equally if not more than the carnivores. Why anyone would think a creature with sharp pointy things eeeeeeeverywhereeeeeeee would be considered 'safer' is beyond me! Just because they're vegetarians maybe? PuhLEEZ! Their warning signals are so subtle too, so unless you have worked with them it will seem as if they just snap. And no, don't ever mess with mama!

Edited by author Sat Jul 10, '10 3:23pm PST

[notify]
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Sat Jul 10, '10 4:32pm PST 
I don't think the Deer population should be culled, they're wild animals how else do you expect them to act? As the Doe was with her fawn it made every difference to her bold behaviour to.

I remember a Swan that while protecting it's Cygnets attacked a JRT swimming near by in the lake and drowned it! While it is sad to hear/see, i don't blame the wild animals what so ever, they're only protecting their young.
[notify]
Tia-Forever- Loved

Let's play!

Barked: Sat Jul 10, '10 5:36pm PST 
We live about half an hour away from where this happened and our town has an even bigger deer problem than they do. A questionaire was recently sent out to see how concerned people are with this problem. I have heard numerous stories of this happening with much worse outcomes. We regularly pass large numbers of deer on our walks. I keep a good eye on them and give them as much space as possible. The closest that Tia gets to a deer is when they are on the hill behind our house. Luckily, a cement wall makes it impossible for them to get into our backyard.

Edited by author Sat Jul 10, '10 5:44pm PST

[notify]
Tia-Forever- Loved

Let's play!

Barked: Sat Jul 10, '10 5:43pm PST 
I forgot to mention that people have been attacked by deer here too. I love all animals and I hate the thought of culling the population, but they are getting way to comfortable in town. You see mothers with triplets, something that's practically unheard of in the wild. People have been trapped in buildings because a deer with big antlers blocks the door all afternoon. There are numerous car accidents caused by deer. It's not as simple as watching for them when they are in town in such large numbers. Mind you, it gives the tourists something to take pictures of and it's something to pass someone's yard looking at their realistic lawn ornament, then realizing it's a real deer taking a nap.
Another issue is that the large numbers of deer in town have attracted cougars.
The deer have become a real safety issue and I hope that we can find a humane way to solve this issue.

Edited by author Sat Jul 10, '10 5:45pm PST

[notify]
Jethro

My most perfect- beag to date!!!

Barked: Sun Jul 11, '10 3:36am PST 
Road kill, is clearly the most prevalent way wild game is killed in
north Idaho! When Pop & I traveled to St Maries Idaho yesterday we
counted 4 doe whitetail deer on the side of the road & 3 coyotes! I
nearly hit one on interstate 90 2 weeks ago in my car! Luckily I have
never hit one, but I have had my share of close calls! Ironically, we
were returning home after testing a "vintage rifle"! shock
[notify]