GO!

No more Petsmart for us...

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  
Harlow

st. francis of- asses

Barked: Sat Apr 3, '10 10:17am PST 
I am so frustrated but today was our last trip with Harlow to petsmart. We have been taken her at least once a week to work on socialization when we go pick up food and treats. But she is gonna have to stay home from now on. Today, as we were on the collar aisle, she was in a sit while I tried a new collar on her, a very agressive chi mix, large for a chi, walked around the corner from his owner on a retractive leash and bit her on the face. The owner was on the next aisle and when i started yelling, she came around the corner and told me not to worry, her dog was friendly!!!! I said your dog just bit my puppy and she accused me of lying. Since there was no blood, I could not prove it but harlow kept pawing her mouth where the dog got her on the lip. This keeps happening everytime we come in here, not the biting though that has happened twice, just out of control dogs and clueless owners. Either on a retractive leash at the end or a very long regular leash also at the end. Most of them just want to play but when you have a large lab or rottie jump on a puppy, they get scared!! She is very shy anyway, that is why I continue to take her around other dogs and people but this is keeping her from making any progress. So we can't go there anymore. I have complained to the managers but they do not do anything even if they see a dog on a long lead. So now what? We have no other indoor places that dogs are allowed, just the dog park and walks in the regular parks. We do the outside stuff but i really wanted to be able to bring her indoors to work on socialization also. I always had her on a very short lead when we were in there to keep her from walking up to dogs but unfortunately other people don't do the same thing. This is part a rant I guess but also what do I do now to work on socialization for her shyness?
[notify]
Lily

Whose bed?? Why- would YOU think- that?

Barked: Sat Apr 3, '10 10:25am PST 
As a daily user of retractable leashes, I have to ask why in the world would someone have one on a dog indoors? PetSmart should ban them for store use. That way they'd sell more 4 and 6 foot leashes.
[notify]
Yogi "Owen"

Fun, Food, and- the Pursuit of- Squirrels.

Barked: Sat Apr 3, '10 10:26am PST 
The store can easily help by making a 6' leash rule and then they are not offending any customers by enforcing it. I can't believe someone would let their retractable go so far out that they can't even see their own dog. In addition to dog bites, it could easily get wrapped around person or dog and cause serious problems.

Sorry to hear Harlow is having such bad experiences with other dogs.
[notify]

Mikey

You know you- want to pet me

Barked: Sat Apr 3, '10 10:28am PST 
I'm not a fan of bringing dogs into these pet stores. I've seen one too many dogs who have no business being there, but their pawrents just think that their baby is the sweetest thing and acts like an angel no matter what. And those retractable leashes on the loose in the stores drives me insane.
I was at a petsmart last year and a guy was in line with his rather large dog and the dog wanted nothing to do with being in line. A customer came through the front door (which is located right were the registers are) with their small dog and the big dog went off. The guy had to use both hands on the leash to keep his dog somewhat under control.
As I'm standing at the counter with my stuff, I say, "why the h*** do you bring your dog to a public place if it's aggressive?" The guy didn't hear me, but I got a nod of agreement with the cashier.
[notify]
Dante

I know, I'm- handsome

Barked: Sat Apr 3, '10 10:29am PST 
How frustrating.

There are a lot of things that frustrate me when it comes to dogs. We had to stop taking our old APBT x Boxer boy to the dog park because peoples dogs would attack HIM and then he would get blamed because he was 'one of those' dogs. naughty

Which is really unfortunate because in the end of his life he became dog aggressive, which he never was before. We couldn't socialize him as often as before, and when we did he'd often have another dog go at him before he even realized they were there. It got to the point where unless they were dogs we knew well, he wasn't able to be around dogs. Mostly because we didn't want him to become another 'statistic' of a pit-bull attack. Luckily at that point, he was mostly just interested in sleeping all day anyways, so he didn't seem to mind.

You may try contacting the head office of Petsmart and file a complaint. Go above and beyond the local manager. I don't know what they'd do, but maybe you aren't the first person to complain, and the more complaints they get, the more likely they are to make a change.
[notify]
Kodi

Barked: Sat Apr 3, '10 11:59am PST 
Do you have any doggie daycares in your area? I had the same problem with Kodi and found a wonderful doggie daycare in our area. They even have webcams so you can watch your dog. Kodi only goes one afternoon a week but it does wonders for his socialization with dogs and other people. wave
[notify]
Harlow

st. francis of- asses

Barked: Sat Apr 3, '10 12:21pm PST 
Kodi, I was just reading about one on-line, its called Camp Bow-Wow! The only thing I am concerned with is they do a form of temperment testing before they let you in and one of the things they look at is how your dog reacts to people. Well Harlow is very shy and if someone comes up to her, she backs away. She doesnt growl or bark, she just doesnt want anyone to touch her until she is ready. I wonder if they would take that as a bad temperment????
[notify]

Barked: Sat Apr 3, '10 12:36pm PST 
Harlo, where are you from? Here in Toronto, there's a doggy meetup place called Pawsway. It's indoors, and they have different events every week. Perhaps there's a meetup group in your area you can join?
[notify]
Harlow

st. francis of- asses

Barked: Sat Apr 3, '10 12:49pm PST 
Guest, we are in the new orleans area. Not heard of anything like that here, have several dog parks but thats all.
[notify]
Vivace

Wonder pup in- the making.

Barked: Sat Apr 3, '10 4:14pm PST 
Poor Harlow.

I don't get to go to the Petsmart near me very often but I hate taking my dogs there. The last time I took one was when we picked up a foster and stopped on our way home to get him a few toys. As we were walking there was a dog that came in that attempted to attack him. Thankfully I was alert and was able to put the foster behind me and put myself between them the other dog would of bit. (the foster never even made a sound and was more than happy to hide behind me) I was ticked when the manager who was standing right there when it happened still allowed the dog into the store. He did ask me if my dog was okay but that was it. It turns out the other dog was there for training. Personally I don't think they should allow them into the store unmuzzled if they are like that.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5