GO!

Do some animal rescues go too far?

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

(Page 1 of 7: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  
Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Fri Mar 19, '10 10:36am PST 
Before I start, this isn't meant to rant against rescues, I appreciate everything they do! However, I had a lot of trouble with our local animal control when I was looking to adopt my first dog, and I was wondering if any of this seemed like a little too much.

Before I found Charlie, my heart was set on a lab/pit mix named Mickey. I thought I'd go into our local animal control to see him, and I got a bit of grief from the woman working at the counter. I was asked if I owned a house and had a fenced in yard. I told her I lived in my parents house which had a large yard, and would be moving out next year. She told me that in order to adopt a pit, I had to own a house with a fenced in yard, to which I sort of gawked, thanked her, and left.

What do you think of this? I was a bit offended at the time, because honestly, I don't see how a pet living in an apartment and getting daily vigorous exercise is any different from a dog living in a house with a yard. I know that rescues must be careful not to give animals out to people who could use them for the wrong reason, I just think this is over the top.
[notify]
Max (aka- Sebastian)

Lovin Life

Barked: Fri Mar 19, '10 11:00am PST 
Have you looked into your local laws regaurding pits, someplaces require fences to own one, in my area, a small town near me requires a 6ft fence to own a pit, so maybe this was the case.
All rescues have thier rules, a lot do require fences before they will adopt(depending on the breed), but when adopting you need to remember these rules are set up for a reason meaning there have been problems in the past with adopters and they are just trying to ensure that the dogs are going to the best enviroment possible so they will not be returned.
No matter what, Pits have a bad rap and no matter how unfair it is, there will be stronger guidelines to owning one compared to other breeds.

So in short, no these recuses are not going to far, they invest a lot of time and money into saving dogs so by having requirements to follow this can give them the tools needed to determine a suitable home.
[notify]
Kolbe

Where can I run- today?

Barked: Fri Mar 19, '10 11:22am PST 
Our city shelter also requires home ownership, not renting, to adopt a pit. This is because they have had a lot of past problems with city renters who adopted pits (problems not having anything to do with lack of yard/fenced yard). This is one rule that I agree with them on. The fence issue I dunno if I agree with that. I know it is frustrating. frown
[notify]

Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Fri Mar 19, '10 11:25am PST 
Yeah, you're right Max. We are near the Baltimore area, so I see where they're coming from stereotyping pits, it's just a bit disheartening.
[notify]
Nova

i haz mai bone

Barked: Fri Mar 19, '10 10:24pm PST 
I don't know specifically about a fenced yard or owning your own home but I know our by-laws here for a "restricted" dog is that if it is going to be out in the yard, the dog cannot come within 2 metres(approx 6 feet) of the fence.
Or if you have it out on a leash, the dog must be muzzled. frown
[notify]
Tyson

It's Train or be- Trained!

Barked: Sat Mar 20, '10 1:00am PST 
I do apprciate the adoption process almost all the time, as it protects a lot of pets from going to homes were people are not prepared for the time and energy of owning a pet. That being said i think that sometimes, some of the people can get carried away.

When my husband and i decided to get a dog, i wanted to rescue one from the shelter by my house. We visited the shelter a couple of times and finally found the puppy we wanted, it was a small dog mix. I spoke with a lady to see if we could meet the puppy and play with him to see if he was the right match. She told me that young dogs have a lot of energy and need attention. I told her that I had owned dogs before and would make sure that the puppy got a lot of attention and training. She then insisted that puppies can't be left home alone for long periods of time and that if my husband and i both work that this probably wasn't a good fit. I explained that we both work but i work from home and the puppy would be with me all the time. She still seemed uneasy and told me that the puppy was sleeping and should not be woken up, even though a volunteer was sitting and cuddling with the little guy. I was frustrated at this time and I think the lady could tell, but instead of asking me questions and listening to me she just started lecturing that she didn't think I understood how much work a puppy could be, and so on. By that time i was almost in tears, I was so frustrated I really wanted to adopt that little guy. We did not get to see the puppy so left.

I do understand the need to check and double check if someone is wanting to adopt, but I don't think you need to be dishartning or assume things about people. I hope this lady was just having a bad day or just tired of people taking their pets back to the shelter. Unfortunatly if she would have gotten to know me she would have come to find out i would never give up my pets, no matter how much work they are. they are family!
[notify]
Addy, CGC

Let's go for a- walk!

Barked: Sat Mar 20, '10 3:47am PST 
There's a lot of issues here.

I do think that often the people in shelters who are dealing directly with the public are burned out and shouldn't be dealing with the public. They have become hostile towards potential adopters, viewing all of them as potential pet surrenderers or even abusers.

And I'm not big on blanket requirements for fenced yards, either.

But with pits and pit mixes, there are too often legal restrictions, and adopting a dog into circumstances that are illegal for that breed is only putting the dog at risk. And as challenging as it is to rent with a dog, it's orders of magnitude harder to rent with a pit bull. Adopting any dog, but especially an often-restricted breed, to someone who is planning to move within a few months is an additional level of risk for the dog. Rescues can do, sometimes at least, a lot of screening to be sure they're placing a dog with the right person and the dog will be secure even with a move in the near future. Shelters generally can't. They have to make their decisions based on pretty basic information.

And honestly, no, I wouldn't adopt any dog to a young person living with their parents and expecting to move out soon, not without meeting the parents and being absolutely confident that the dog would have a home with the parents if the putative adopter couldn't find an apartment they could afford that would accept their pet.
[notify]
Mr. Kite "Sumo"

being for the- benefit of mr.- kite.

Barked: Sat Mar 20, '10 2:39pm PST 
well, i am currently trying to adopt through FBRN,
and while i love them and what they do...they are tough.
they are really really particular, and anyone I know that has
a rescue from them has applied more than once...
this is my 3rd go around. i am hoping for the best since
i have more experience, etc. now...but when i put myself
in their shoes- when i foster, i know i will be very picky
about where the dogs go....i KNOW i will, so i can't really
be mad that they are.

i don't like the breed specific stuff, though.

i think most people without fenced in yards (myself at the moment)
are perfectly capable of taking care of and being responsible for a dog,
but in rescue- they really don't have the time to get to know
you as a person...and personal references can really only go so far...
i can't argue against it because like i said...i will be a harsh judge.
[notify]
Rio, CGC,- RL1, CL1, TD

You can't say- that i can't- play!

Barked: Sat Mar 20, '10 3:57pm PST 
I think of it this way, ESPECIALLY with pitties... they are more likely to be adopted (for a nominal fee) and mis-used/mistreated by certain people in certain areas--so having potential adopters go above and beyond is a way to protect the dogs....it'snot about aggravating the people.

The humane society in pittsburgh does home checks for ALL pittie adoptions, i believe they have to own the home (though i'm not sure of that) and ALL pitties MUST graduate from a basic obedience class (the fee is included in the adoption fee). It takes longer to adopt (from application approval.. to home visit... to getting the dog...and the obedience class) and some people are put-off by the process.. but ultimately it keeps the dogs from falling into the wrong hands (right off the bat at least).

I've spent time volunteering with my absolute favorite rescue... i love them... they work hard and they love their dogs... but when i was looking for a new puppy, i didnt even bother applying because, although they know me... know all i do with my dog... know how i care for my dogs, i wouldn't have been approved... 1. i live in an apartment 2. i dont have a fenced in yard 3.i wanted a puppy and they are really sticklers when it comes to puppies.

But because they are so picky they have a VERY low return rate (mostly due to changes in life situations [sudden deaths, loss of jobs, unexpected babies, etc])...

So while i've been on the losing end of the hassle of adopting... i also really understand why... at least where i am, there are so many options of places to adopt... some are easier than others....so although i knew i wouldn't be accepted by my favorite rescue, i just found another rescue who would.
[notify]
Kitsune

Divide and- cuddle!!

Barked: Sat Mar 20, '10 8:13pm PST 
No experience with trying to adopt a pit - but before I got Kit I applied to adopt a papillon mix at a private rescue. I had my heart set on getting a papillon and had been looking for one in our area for months with no luck. Then when the mix came in I was so excited!

The rescue denied my application because of my age. I was very upset. I don't feel that people become magically more responsible at a certain age. One lady at the rescue said she would have loved to adopt out to me, but they couldn't break their age rule. All adopters had to be at least 25, and I was at the time 23.

Things worked out anyways - the dog at the rescue eventually got adopted and we found Kit from a great breeder. I think I'm an above average pet owner and would have given any dog I took in a wonderful home, it was too bad that the rescue couldn't see past my age.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 7: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7