GO!

Dog on Raw with Megaesophagus

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  
Ted

Can't let mom- out of my sight!

Barked: Sat Dec 26, '09 4:23pm PST 
I need some help here. My dog had been on raw for about a year (mainly chicken, everything else is so expensive where I live) a awhile ago, and then he was diagnosed with megaesophagus. Bones kept getting stuck in his throat because his esophagus wouldn't work so I freaked out and put him on a hypoallergenic kibble. He did better for a little while but recently he started regurgitating his kibble too.

I switched him back to raw, but this time I bought a grinder and I grind all his chicken up, bones and all. I also add water to it right before I feed him to make it easier to reach his stomach. I feed him with a spoon while he is in an upright position.

I think he may have a sensitivity to chicken. When he was on raw last time the only improvement I noticed was his teeth. He still had straw like fur, hot spots, and he chewed on himself constantly. On the hypoallergenic kibble, he still scratched a bit and chewed sometimes, but it wasn't nearly as bad, and all his fur had grown back, and it was soft. Now that he's back on chicken, he has chewed a bald spot in his tail, his back legs and under his front legs are nearly naked, and he's CONSTANTLY scratching. I need some advice before I give in and switch him back to the kibble.

The reason he's on chicken is because the cheapest I've been able to find beef is $2.99 a pound. My dog eats 20 ounces a day.

Can rabbit be a staple diet? I can try rabbit from Wholeprey4pets.

This got long winded smile
[notify]
Franklin

Barked: Sat Dec 26, '09 4:37pm PST 
I'll let some of the other more experienced raw feeders on here address most of your questions but I will say that 50% of your dog's diet needs to be red meat (beef, venison, pork). I'm not sure that feeding mainly chicken or rabbit would be nutritionally balanced.

You can try looking for a co-op in your area and buy in bulk -- that might cut down costs. Check out Yahoo groups!

Edited by author Sat Dec 26, '09 4:46pm PST

[notify]
Ted

Barked: Sat Dec 26, '09 4:56pm PST 
I've tried the Carnivore Feed Supply raw yahoo group... there's no one in Vegas frown
[notify]

Henry Miller

He's a tramp,- but they love- him!

Barked: Sat Dec 26, '09 5:04pm PST 
Yes. 50% should be red meat. Rabbit is red meat. Variety is important. Rabbit would be a good base. Then you could rotate pork, beef, or lamb in once or twice a week. What are you doing for organs?
[notify]
Franklin

Barked: Sat Dec 26, '09 5:26pm PST 
From what I've read, rabbit is considered WHITE meat, along with chicken.

Ted, I searched "Las Vegas Raw Feeding" on Yahoo Groups and only found one group that is not active. You might try searching again using some surrounding town names. I never thought I'd find a raw feeding group here in OK but there are tons!
[notify]
Henry Miller

He's a tramp,- but they love- him!

Barked: Sat Dec 26, '09 5:28pm PST 
Rabbits are mammals. Why would they be white meat?
[notify]
Mia Bella

Just a little- girl!

Barked: Sat Dec 26, '09 6:22pm PST 
From what I have read in the past (I don't have any links or anything to back me up, hopefully someone will jump in here who knows more about it) rabbit is a very, very lean meat and it is too lean to live off of primarily.

You may just need to add in a little more variety to your dog's diet. I would try adding in some red meat and see if that helps before you decide to completely cut out the chicken. Are you feeding organs?
[notify]
Blake CGC

got meat?

Barked: Sat Dec 26, '09 7:54pm PST 
I think there are two very different issues here. One: feeding a correct and balanced raw diet. And, two: caring for a dog with megaesophagus. I know nothing about this condition or how to care for a dog with it. I think for advice on that issue specifically, you should consult your vet. If there is no medical reason why your dog needs a special diet, then you probably just need some help tweaking the raw diet that you are feeding.

Dog cannot live on chicken alone. At least now with a lot of supplementation. Some people feed predominantly chicken, but I don't suggest it. The symptoms you mention- scratching, chewing, hot spots, poor fur condition- scream "poor diet" to me. If you cannot balance a raw diet properly, I would revisit feeding a commercial one.

Are you feeding organs? If so, how much? Any extras? Tripe? Heart? Gizzards?
[notify]
Ted

Barked: Sat Dec 26, '09 8:48pm PST 
Blake- it is not "poor diet" as you suggest. He has severe food and environmental allergies and unfortunately, due to the megaesophagus, I had to take him off of his only relief- diphenhydramine. The reason I posted this was to get ideas for what to feed him because I am still in the introduction stage for raw, and my poor dog is very itchy. His food HAS to be ground or he will regurgitate it and get very sick. I am using liver and other chicken organs with his meals.

My boyfriend's dog is getting the same as my dog and she's doing great (she has no allergies).

I have searched high and low for Las Vegas co-ops and raw groups and can't find anything. As is the case for most, money is tight and chicken and turkey are affordable.
[notify]
Blake CGC

got meat?

Barked: Sat Dec 26, '09 8:59pm PST 
Ted, I didn't intend to offend. So, I apologize if I did. I guess I didn't understand the point of your post. If you're sure there is no problem with his diet, then I'm a little confused why you are posting on a raw food forum for advice? Your dog has severe food and environmental allergies: do you know what he's allergic to? What are his environmental triggers? Have you tried limiting his contact with chemicals? Floor cleaner, detergents with softeners, perfumes? Flea/tick meds? Pesticides, fertilizers? All of these things can be triggers for dogs with allergies.

I suspect that if you're feeding a poultry based diet, it is not doing the trick. The fact that your other dog isn't showing signs isn't a definitive answer. You mention the need to grind his food- I have no issue with that. Ground diets can still fulfill all of the other needs. I would really, really encourage you to look around for other affordable sources of red meat. Since organs only account for 10% of the diet, splurging on red meat organs is a great way to add some variety to the menu without breaking the bank. Tikka the Shiba lives in Vegas. Lemme see if I can round her up for some help with sourcing raw nummies.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5