GO!

What is allergic contact dermatitis?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

  

Member Since
12/31/1969
Other posts by this user
 
 
Barked: Wed Dec 9, '09 2:37pm PST 
Gizmo had a rash on his face, or at least what looked to be a rash. I took him to the vet today and the veterinarian took one look at it and told me it was allergic contact dermatitis. He gave me a fatty acid supplement and told me to start using glass or stainless steel bowl to feed him from and to wash it out every day. Can somebody tell me what allergic contact dermatitis is? I asked the vet and he just told me it is a type of allergy.
[notify]
Stella Agnes- CGC/TDI

CGC, Therapy- Dog. My velcro- girl!
 
 
Barked: Wed Dec 9, '09 2:56pm PST 
Allergic contact dermatitis is a type of allergy. If you are using a plastic bowl, sometimes scratches get in the bowl and cause bacteria build-up that makes the animals face get a rash when it comes in contact with it...or just the plastic itself may be the allergen. My daughter actually got allergic contact dermatitis one time when she slept on a new pillowcase that had a silkscreen dyed picture on it. I made the mistake of not washing it first, and she had a rash or hives all on her face and neck. It went away after awhile and so did the pillow case lol. Anyway, like your vet said, purchase a stainless steel bowl and was it often and it should help. smile
[notify]
Boo

If it breathes,- it's my friend
 
 
Barked: Thu Dec 10, '09 9:06am PST 
Contact dermititis allergies can be caused by any number of things.

It can be caused by laundry soaps, bathing soaps, sprays or chemicals, plants, etc...anything that comes in contact with the skin. Plastic bowls used for pets is known to cause allergic reaction in some animals. Plastic has a number of chemicals in it that leach into the water and food placed in the bowls. That's why it is recommended that you use ceramic or stainless steel. Using plastic food bowls can also cause tearing stains in animals.

Soaps have all sorts of fragrants and dyes causing similar reactions, ie, itchy skin, rashes, eruptions, etc.,. It can be very tough to nail down the specific offender sometimes, so the best defense is to use products that have no dyes and the fewest possible chemicals.

Good luck.
[notify]

Ebony Mae

I'm a leo, adore- me...
 
 
Barked: Fri Dec 11, '09 2:52pm PST 
i was just wondering how this has turned out. i think ebony mae also has allergic dermatitis. this is her forth or fifth bout with the stuff and i am at my wits end. i don't want to keep putting her on heavy drugs. i am open to suggestions.
[notify]
Penny Mouse- Fart Ayala

I eat, therefore- I am.....
 
 
Barked: Fri Dec 11, '09 3:40pm PST 
Hi! Poor baby! Allergic contact dermatitus means that something your baby touched, he had an allergic reaction to. Thats all, nothing complicated. However, it can be complicated trying to nail down exactly which thing your dog touched triggered the reaction. Since it was a localised reaction (mostly confined to one area) odds are your vet is correct. This is a common dog allergy. Don't worry, just follow your vets instructions and all should be fine! Good luck and dog bless!
[notify]