GO!

chihuahua Issues

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Nabi

~~~Like a- butterfly in the- wind~~~

Barked: Tue Nov 3, '09 3:34pm PST 
Hi pups! wave

This thread isn't about Nabi here, it's about Nabi's buddy. Well, we call the dog her cousin. Bol. The problem pup's name is Violet. Well, here is the story....

Violet came from a home out of the state, and ended up with my cousin. Well, Violet always scared of everything, trembles when she just sits down and she doesn't do anything at all. It has been almost a year since my cousin got Violet, and she did branch out some, she actually ran around in the yard with my Nabi and my sister's pom, Meko. She didn't play, just ran around with them. They say at their house she even started to bark, which she did not do when they got her.

Well, what could we do to actually branch out? My sister and I actually got her to start eating dog food, (we suspect where she was before, she only ate table food.) and that issue is taken care of....but she withdraws all the time, and doesn't play with toys. When she is over my house she runs for the stairs and runs in a room in the corner and shakes there in a corner. She comes to my house every weekend, so she is used to the house, so there are no problems with new environment....

((Sorry for long post!!))

Help appreciated!
[notify]
Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Tue Nov 3, '09 3:43pm PST 
My sister has a Chi and the Chi pretty much acts like Violet all the time. And it's not because of lack of socialization - my sister literally takes them EVERYWHERE on their race circuit and always meet a million other dogs and people. The Chi doesn't really play with the other two dogs she has either, and it's always just sitting around shaking all the time too.. shrug

That was until my sister brought her Chi to a friend's place for a playdate, and her Chi totally came alive with her friend's Chi.

I suppose in a way, sometimes, what they say about Chis being breed-aware of other Chis could be right. This Chi doesn't like Luna or Lilith, or any other small dogs.. so it's not a size thing. He just only really plays with other Chis. It's so weird. shrug
[notify]
Meko

~Cutie on Duty!~

Barked: Tue Nov 3, '09 3:46pm PST 
Hmm...we don't know any other chi's. Plus she is a mixed breed. Not sure with what though...she is so scared it seems. It gets to the point where we think she may have been abused at her last home. In her new furever home, no harm will ever come to her. We suspect, not know for sure.
[notify]

Max- (Rehomed)

Teagan's Boy

Barked: Tue Nov 3, '09 3:48pm PST 
I have 3 chis, a standard poodle, and a lab mix. Chihuahuas can be very skittish if they don't have a lot of socialization. And chihuahuas are known to be one-person dogs. They usually just get attached to who takes care of them, etc. But if you visit a lot, and it's a real problem try some techniques like bending down to their level, (because they are so small they feel like ants compared to us) and giving her treats and lots of praise. She will eventually warm up to you, or she won't. Chihuahuas are quite interesting, Max hates strangers.
Good luck!!waveway to go

Edited by author Tue Nov 3, '09 3:48pm PST

[notify]
Nabi

Barked: Tue Nov 3, '09 3:49pm PST 
Yes, it does get discouraging to see her act that way. She won't do anything but sit there and shake. If you could see what Meko and I see, you would know what me mean.

She just sits there....and she won't move for hours if we let her. The only time she will move is to bolt upstairs and remain stationary in a corner. Of course, we do not allow her to actually sit there for hours, but given the chance she will, like if we all are cooking dinner and the dogs are with us, we take about an hour to cook and she stays there in one spot shaking....and Meko and Nabi run and play in the family room. We need help!

I forgot to mention she is a Chi mix. we have no idea what else she is mixd with..

Edited by author Tue Nov 3, '09 3:52pm PST

[notify]
Max- (Rehomed)

Teagan's Boy

Barked: Tue Nov 3, '09 3:51pm PST 
Maybe see a vet to see if there is something wrong with her or bothering her. My other chi, Chanel, acted weird for a long time, turns out she was hurt.wink

Edited by author Tue Nov 3, '09 3:52pm PST

[notify]
Meko

~Cutie on Duty!~

Barked: Tue Nov 3, '09 3:52pm PST 
Max, you said they may act that way without being socialized. Maybe her last owner didn't socialize her, but her family now takes her EVERYWHERE. She even went on a trip with them and stayed in the hotel and everything. Meko and Nabi run around, play, have fun. Violet shakes, sit there, and looks sad or depressed. She does seem to like Meko and Nabi, but just won't play with them at all. She is 1 years old. She should be running around having some fun, right?
[notify]
Nabi

Barked: Tue Nov 3, '09 3:53pm PST 
Hmm, you could be onto something Max. thinking

I will tell them to take her to the vet, although I doubt she will....they are having money issues, and I don't think they could afford it.

My goodness this is looking grim...
[notify]
Meko

~Cutie on Duty!~

Barked: Tue Nov 3, '09 3:55pm PST 
Max has a point, but from seeing her when we go to THEIR house, she doesn't seem to be sick at all. She has a healthy appetite and was running around their house. It is just, she acts all anti-social whenever she comes to our house, and she comes EVERY weekend. She has NO interest in toys, and for a long time, she wouldn't even eat dog treats. We did get her eating those though.
[notify]
Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Tue Nov 3, '09 4:01pm PST 
Seriously, try a Chi meet up in your area. I could never figure out what was wrong with the sister's Chi.. we have always been very avid social with the dogs, there was absolutely no reason her Chi should always act like that.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2