GO!

HELP! advice on procedure

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Sienna, NPC,- CGC

Adopt a homeless- dog

Barked: Mon Oct 19, '09 4:11pm PST 
Sienna tore her declaw about a week and a half ago. At first the bleeding stopped but then a few days later it was gushing blood everywhere. We took her to the vet and got a bandaging, some antibiotics, collar, and anti-inflammatories. We bandaged it daily. She has been getting to it and wanting to lick it. I was concerned because the nail looked like it was impacting her and I thought maybe part of it could be removed. I had thought they would do that the first time. She's really sensitive to nail clipping in general so I wouldn't dare try it at home! I went back in today to have them get another look at it. Also because she's been shaking a lot and seems like she's probably in pain. (I have had a similar thing happen to my nail and it's soooo painful!)

So the vet gives me a few options: to have them cut her nail back a bit more or to remove most of the claw under sedation. My first instinct was to opt for the second one because they said although it was more invasive it would heal quicker. Then I got the estimate and remembered that a vet (different one same office) this summer said if she was ever getting anesthisia to get a growth in her eye removed. Well of course this is about $200 more due to having to be general anesthesia. Then they want $100 for bloodwork. She's 9 years old and in good health so they weren't insisting on this.

My concerns are of course that ansethisia is risky and also that it is getting to be a lot of money. I don't even know the risks of having a sty. Maybe I need to talk to the vet more?

My questions are:
--do the full claw removal or just part?
--do the sty removal or just the claw?
--do the bloodwork or chance it?

Thank you!!!!!!!

Edited by author Mon Oct 19, '09 4:32pm PST

[notify]
♥Lord- Pippin&heart- s;

I RULE! I OWN! I- POSSESS!!!

Barked: Mon Oct 19, '09 5:00pm PST 
Gosh, it seems to me that they cut his dewclaw back (LP) and there was no problem. In fact, when he was younger, am almost sure they removed them. As for giving a 'bleeding' up anti-inflammatories, i find this odd, since any kind of anti inflammatory causes bleeding. Even in humans. Before any operation , they ask you to stop taking anti-inflammatories and blood thinners.

If that were me, just an opinion, I would get her stabilized with the 'pain,', some good 'pain' meds, then have them trim it back.......? In short, so we get anesthsized for a hangnail......? Just some thoughts. Please let us know.
Hugs,
L PIppin
[notify]
Ginger

Barked: Mon Oct 19, '09 6:48pm PST 
We're really not sure what to suggest to go with but we hope she feels better soon! I tore one of my nails all the way out one time and I looked like I had just a big hole in my paw. I had to get some antibiotics and have it wrapped. I hated that. But yours sounds different being that there is still some nail there. Let us know how you're doing! hughughughughug
[notify]

Sasha

Miss Diva to- you!!

Barked: Mon Oct 19, '09 8:14pm PST 
I think that its up to you, but if it was my dog I would probably just get it all removed and get the growth in her eye removed too. That way everything is out of the way and you know that she will be okay. But it would probably be okay to just get them to troim it back also, its really a matter of opinion. As long as she is comfortable and happy, nothing else matters. Good luck with everything smile
[notify]
Hoochie /In- memory of- our Girl

Foils? Me thinks- chocolate- wrappers!!

Barked: Mon Oct 19, '09 9:28pm PST 
My advice

Talk to vet again about sty... then make decision about getting both remaining dew clew and sty at same time... would not worry about bloods.

My story with dew clew... mummy rushed my to Dr with dew clew hanging at a terrible angle and me yelping... vet asked if she wanted me to go under anesthetic... to which "I" replied no - he then just gave it a pull and the whole lot came out!!

Keep us posted sweetheart
[notify]
Sienna, NPC,- CGC

Adopt a homeless- dog

Barked: Mon Oct 19, '09 10:21pm PST 
thanks everyone. we are leaning towards forgoing the eye but maybe if we sleep on it another answer will come.

pulling the whole claw out, yikes! if it were Zuki (other dog) I would he's actually much braver. he's had 3 claw problems total and never needed anything to numb him or anything. Sienna is ...well...a baby.
[notify]
Gizmo the- Great!- (Therapy- Dog)

Ambassador for- better than- perfect dogs!

Barked: Tue Oct 20, '09 3:42am PST 
Good luck....hoping she is better soon.hug
[notify]
Checkers- 1994-2009

Mama's Angel- 1994-2009

Barked: Tue Oct 20, '09 4:17am PST 
hughug Sienna, I just saw Zuki's post over in PwD and I thought I'd come over to wish you well. hughug

When I was a youngster I had my declaws removed when I was neutered, so I never had a dewclaw problem. However, I am leaning towards removal of dewclaw and taking care of the sty at the same time.

Whatever you decide, I am sending you the Power of the Paw to help you.

kissing
[notify]
Tinkerbell

Whose Got- TacoToes??!!??

Barked: Tue Oct 20, '09 6:13am PST 
Ouch Sienna!!! You poor thing!!! I would for sure have that ole dew claw removed!!! So this doesnt happen again. Maybe you can talk to your vet more about the sty on your eye and see he/she thinks about it!!!!

kissing

Good luck to you!!! I hope you feel better soon!!!!!
[notify]
Delta Force- CGC RN NA- RL1

Raw Fed and- Happy

Barked: Tue Oct 20, '09 7:01am PST 
Has your dog ever been under anesthesia before? If so, and she did fine, I wouldn't worry too much about blood work. But that's just me. The blood work is for finding out if she is going to have problems with the anesthesia, usually.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2