GO!

Comfortis side effects?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Williamsburg- 's Annie

I love my Mom!

Barked: Wed Jul 1, '09 6:30am PST 
I have been a very healthy dog up until I used Comfortis for the first time. My breath smells and I have had weeping eye issues and excessive salivation. I did not have these prior to using this product. Mom doesn't want to use it anymore. Anyone else have these issues or others? Vet says not the cause.
[notify]
Cali, our- first- Cavalier

did someone say- "walk" ?

Barked: Wed Jul 1, '09 7:39am PST 
Hi..I have two Cavalier, Cali and Zoe. Cali can not use Comfortis. It makes her letharic, she breathes funny and acts like she is drugged for 2 to 3 days. We tried it the first month, symptoms were not as bad, but by the second time we gave it she became worse. I told our vet and we switched both dogs back to Interceptor.

Our vet said a few of the clients are complaining about the same side effect.

Also we tried to give Zoe (our littlest cav) a prescribed seditive called "Ace" to calm her and keep her still after a surgery. It had a terrible side effect and at 6 months she stopped breathing twice. I got her to breath, we rushed her right back to the vets, she stopped breathing there to. They IV'd her with fluids to flush it out of her system. I was so scared. Little dogs seem to have trouble handling some of the medications out there.
[notify]
Williamsburg- 's Annie

I love my Mom!

Barked: Wed Jul 1, '09 8:49am PST 
Thanks for sharing your information. I can not find too many negative things about this medicine but I know these problems did not start until she used this product. We've only used it once. Frontline Plus stopped working for us. Maybe we'll try Advantage.
[notify]

Cali, our- first- Cavalier

did someone say- "walk" ?

Barked: Thu Jul 2, '09 5:24am PST 
You are welcome, I live in Florida...mosquito and flea haven. Advantix works great. Our vet switched us to it from Frontline.

When Cali was on the Comfrotis she was so lethargic, I couldn't wake her easily, she threw up and would walk around as if she was drugged. The symptoms were not as noticable the first time we used, she was somewhat groggy, but showed more the second time we gave it to her. She was sick for about 3 days, she refused food and slept. She was perfectly fine prior to the pill.

We have been happy with Interceptor, prior we used Heartguard but the vet switched us.

Hope this helps.
[notify]
Scarlet

Barked: Tue Mar 22, '11 3:35pm PST 
Likewise. Noxiously toxic. Don't quite understand how it ever got FDA approval because even the research supplied by the manufacturer to the FDA suggests there should be serious concerns ...
[notify]
Pookie

plush destroyer

Barked: Tue Mar 22, '11 4:05pm PST 
I have had no problems with Comfortis myself. No lethargy/vomitting/etc. Maybe it depends on the dog.
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Wed Mar 23, '11 4:07am PST 
Comfortis works well for us, the only side effect is vomiting and we take care of that by halving the medication half in the am half in the pm.

Sorry you had a reaction, but that doesn't make it a bad medication and you don't know for sure if the medication even caused the problem. Just because one thing happened after another doesn't mean the first caused the second.
[notify]
Adam

Vaccine free- -Disease free- goes pawinpaw

Barked: Wed Mar 23, '11 10:28am PST 
I'm never surprised. There are toxins we put on and in our dogs. They do have dangerous side effects, whether from acute or chronic use. If you can't find something safer that works, unfortunately owners need to pick the poison that their dog reacts least to.
[notify]

Barked: Sun Oct 21, '12 3:42pm PST 
My Emma, a 15 year old Corgi,Has taken Comfortis for over a year. Recently she has started to have strange problems which I have connected just recently to her taking her monthly dose of Comfortis. She has gastrointestinal upsets and needs a Tums every night. Every time she has a new dose she becomes agitated and cries all night and wants to "go out" every 15 minutes. She pants a lot and drinks large amounts of water. Her eyes are always full of "gunk". These symtoms are getting worse each month. I am stopping the Comfortis to see if she gets better. Unfortunately she just had a new dose so it will take a while for the drugs to wear off.cry

Edited by author Sun Oct 21, '12 3:45pm PST

[notify]

Barked: Tue Nov 19, '13 5:02pm PST 
I have a 2 year old yorkie. She has been healthy until I used Comfortis. Now she suffers with Horrific seizures. She just had a seizure not 30 minutes ago that almost took her life. She now lives on Phenobarbitol twice a day and Diazepam twice a day. Plus if the seizure is bad enuff I have to use liquid Diazepam in her rectum during the seizure. Please for Gods sake and your dogs sake DON"T use that stuff.
Oh and for you that don't know Trifexis is the same medication and the main ingredient and it comes from CHINA.

Edited by author Tue Nov 19, '13 5:12pm PST

[notify]