GO!

Puppy Mill Dog

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Sergeant- Tank

Top dog - American- Bulldog!

Barked: Thu Jun 18, '09 4:12am PST 
Let me start off by saying I wanted a Toy Poodle for a while. So I've been looking online, on craigslist and such to see if anyone had a dog they got for whatever reason and then decided that it was "too much" or "didn't have enough time for the dog". Well I found one, and its from a grade A puppy mill. This poor dog has such a thin coat you can see straight through it, 3 teeth total, and has been nothing but bred every heat since it was a puppy. The lady openly admited to everything a puppy mill would try to hide too. She said the dog is 8 years old and her last two litters died. Shouldn't dogs not be bred at 8 YEARS OLD!? Anyways, I need some help guys. I don't want to give her dry food, poor thing can hardly eat chunks of wet. I'm feeding her Nutro Chicken Meal and Rice Puppy wet. Any suggestions on how to make a senior dog healthy and should I report this puppy mill. The lady was nice as can be, but a puppy mill is a puppy mill, and how do I go about reporting if I do? Ooh yea, heres the website.

http://www.rockridgekennel.net/
[notify]
Sassy

Princess and the- Pea

Barked: Thu Jun 18, '09 5:36am PST 
Poor thing! Well first thing is to get a senior check up at the vet. Perhaps there is some reason the hair is thin and the puppies died that can be remedied. Bet the teeth are a big mess at the very least. Teeth cleaned, medication if needed then you can start feeding her up so the last half to two thirds of her life will be happy ones.
[notify]
Sergeant- Tank

Barked: Thu Jun 18, '09 6:15am PST 
Vet check is %100 necessary. She did say she just went to the vet and had a rabies shot, I have adoption papers that say that (from her though so I don't know if they are legit) and am supposed to be getting a tag that would verfiy it. As for teeth cleaning, they would fall out, the tartar and plaque is holding them in. They are loose. I doubt she has a half to 2/3 of her life left. She is in horrible condition. But I will do everything I know of to help her, along with additional help from everyone on dogster.
[notify]

Misty- (1997-2009)

Barked: Thu Jun 18, '09 7:01am PST 
If she's having trouble eating even wet dog food, you could try home cooking her food and puree it so she can eat it easily. Too bad you can't get some dentures for her. As for reporting the lady, I guess I'd have a hard time doing that if she's been as nice as you say. If she was so bad, I think it's funny that she would be so open with you. That doesn't sound like the attitude of the run of the mill puppy mill. I'd probably see just how sincere and helpful she will be to you and your new dog. But you should follow your heart and conscience I guess. I DO feel bad for the poor old dog though...

Edited by author Thu Jun 18, '09 7:02am PST

[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Thu Jun 18, '09 7:13am PST 
Have you checked her teeth to see if there's still a problem and they're hurting her? I've known dogs and cats with zero teeth who ate dry food no problem. I know she's still adjusting, but I'd be concerned there's something else going on. Bless you for taking in this poor baby though! cloud 9 How is Tank adjusting to her? We threw around the idea of getting a small dog for awhile, but were horrified that Tanuk might stampede it.
[notify]
Chandler

Code name:- Farmcollie

Barked: Thu Jun 18, '09 7:30am PST 
Asher's mom does a lot of rescue of puppy mill dogs in bad shape. I'd pmail her for suggestions.
[notify]
Sandy Baby- ♥

I may look- little, but I'm- ALL dog!

Barked: Thu Jun 18, '09 7:35am PST 
Poor dog. Hugs for her! hug

8 years... as a toy poodle... looking that old... for some reason, that alone says something about this woman. I saw a few 8 year old toy and miniature poodles. They were as active as my two year olds. confused

I was thinking p-mail, Asher, too. Asher's family might be able to help you.

As far as her coat goes, it could be a number of things. Diet might be one. I imagine, if she was in really horrible conditions, that could be one, too. Just ask teh vet what he thinks when you get her senior check up.

Also, Misty, you would be VERY surprised how open some puppy millers can be about the practice. Some of them honestly believe they're doing nothing wrong. When my mom worked in rescue, she was "friends" with a puppy miller (it was an easy way to rescue the dogs) and this woman didn't hesitate to say she bred several dogs at obscene ages etc, etc. Even talked about the "crates" she kept them
in.

Some of them are really nice. To people...

shrug

Edited by author Thu Jun 18, '09 7:39am PST

[notify]
Misty- (1997-2009)

Barked: Thu Jun 18, '09 7:50am PST 
I believe what you are saying about puppy millers. I think taking some good advice from your vet, plus a good diet and proper care could turn this dog into a completely new dog, both in appearance and activity/energy. Let us know how she does! Oh... and kudos to you for taking her in and giving her a good home. I bet she's a real sweetheart and will show her appreciation to you daily in the love she gives.
[notify]
Daisy

Mommy's little- princess

Barked: Thu Jun 18, '09 2:07pm PST 
Id just get the dog vetted out with that you will be able to see how much the few teeth she has actually hurt her. Then feed soft food. I know the papillon rescue gets alot that are total gummers and they do really well on canned food. Youd be surprised. Just maybe stick to the pate type as its mooshier. And YA Id report the mill. Call the local spca and report the mill to them. They need to get shut down. Of course the lady was nice to you she was trying to get rid of a useless dog that cant breed no more. (sorry but thats their way of thinking)
[notify]
Sergeant- Tank

Barked: Thu Jun 18, '09 4:15pm PST 
Was the dentures thing a joke? Cause I would seriously do that if it was available. And I wouldn't know if her teeth are hurting her, she's like an abused child. She tolerates everything, doesn't bark and whines to follow me around. Poor thing. As for the lady being nice, she really is a nice person. She seems to care about the dogs she gives homes for, but I have one of the breeding mothers now and I know what kind of condition they are in.

Tanuk, Tank gets along just fine with her. I made sure when he was a pup he was overly socialized and it paid off. Plus, I'm constantly bringing rescues and fosters in the house so he gets it and plays well. Tank is 85lbs of solid muscle and the only thing he has done with her or to her was sniff her butt real hard. I would however be worried about you getting a small dog since Tanuk is a malamute, their prey drive can kill. ( But then again, Tank gets along with everything and anything because of how well I socialized him)

Send me Asher's paw page please Chandler, thank you.

And Daisy, we have no local SPCA. The closest we have is a few hours away and I'm not sure if they operate in my area. If one of you could check what my options are, I live in Macon, Ga. The "puppy mill" is in Macon too.

I definately will keep you updated, and I'm starting a page for her too.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3