GO!

Probably a billion topics about this but,

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Forester

The Shoe Chewwer

Barked: Fri May 29, '09 6:27pm PST 
I love eating table scraps and my family always gives me table scraps! In doggie magazines that my owner reads he hears they aren't good, But i beg to differ. hamster dance what are your opinions

(sorry if there is another post about this, if so please link me to it and i will delete this topic)
[notify]
Rocket&Cassie

pointydogs- represent!

Barked: Fri May 29, '09 7:10pm PST 
I am guilty of sharing the last bite (and allowing plate-licking, if we're using disposable plates) but I still keep limits on how much I'll let the dogs eat. Most of the food I eat has salt, heavy spicing, and occasionally sugar added - not exactly ideal for a dogs' digestive system. As an occasional tidbit or treat, I don't think there's much of a problem.

BUT if you feed too much, or feed the wrong things, you're gonna end up with a tubby dog. My husband's family used to scrape EVERY SINGLE PLATE into their dog's food dish, and at age 9 she was easily 25 lbs over her ideal weight (which is right around 40lbs) and she was suffering from yeast overgrowths, food allergies, hip/elbow arthritis and NASTY teeth!

Plus, cooked fat and bones aren't necessarily good for a dog (cooked bones splinter, too much cooked fat has been known to cause pancreatitis) and there are plenty human-safe food items that are BAD NEWS for dogs - grapes/raisins, chocolate, alcohol, etc.

Treating dogs to table scraps is fun because they sure do get excited, but remember, all things in moderation!
[notify]
Sedona

The Wise Cracker

Barked: Fri May 29, '09 7:11pm PST 
Depends what you're getting there poochy. Is it fresh meat, fresh vegetables, and maybe a bit of fresh fruit here or there? Or are you getting "pizza bones," mac and cheese, hot dog hunks, and breakfast cereal?

If it's the former, just make sure you don't eat too much fatty meat or too much sugar from fruit. If it's the latter, make sure you're only getting small amounts of it.

Edited by author Fri May 29, '09 7:11pm PST

[notify]

Forester

The Shoe Chewwer

Barked: Fri May 29, '09 7:18pm PST 
Well yes I have gained 50% of my weight since i was taken out of the shelter red face but I am 30 pounds of pure love and I get a little bit of whatever my owner and our family is eating
[notify]
Clubber

What do you mean- this isn't my- couch?

Barked: Fri May 29, '09 9:18pm PST 
I try, not always successfully, to keep Clubber's table scraps in line with his overall diet . I'm not spending a small fortune on grain free to turn around and give him bread and pizza crusts. But any meat, veggies and fruit scraps are allowed.
[notify]
Cookies 'n'- Creme- (1998-2011)

Heart of a lion,- soul of a lamb

Barked: Fri May 29, '09 10:30pm PST 
Heh, lots on conflicting sources on table scraps. I feed table scraps often myself and have no shame in "admitting" that. In my opinion, table scraps are like treats...they're fine in moderation. Just don't feed too many, and avoid all of the ones that can harm your dog.
My kibble-fed GSD gets way more table scraps than my raw-fed Papillon mix, though.
Now, I am of the opinion that ideally, you feed the table scraps AFTER you're done with your own meal, to prevent begging. That's the secret about begging...don't give in, and the dog eventually learns to quit. However, I still feed table scraps during my meals on occasion.
[notify]
Uno

I'm huntin'- wabbits

Barked: Sat May 30, '09 9:41am PST 
Well considering a diet on an average person, I cant image dogs being healthy from eating table scraps. The only exception if its a small portion of dogs diet and its healthy handouts, like grilled chicken, rice, fish, veggies. Still, I rarely give in to Uno's begging because dogs get used to the routine and start hovering around or over the table which is quite distracting. Instead I give him green beans and carrots as healthy treats.
[notify]
Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Sat May 30, '09 1:14pm PST 
We never ever give the dogs table scraps, especially from our plate. Usually we cook with things that they shouldn't really eat anyway like onions or heavy spices. If they're loitering in the kitchen, sometimes we'll give them some parts of the stuff on the cutting board pre-cooked, but that's about it. Plus they all seem not to tolerate it that well .. and I'm the one (and not the bf) that has to pick up after them... not fun! confused
[notify]
Lila Rae

I'm pretty sure- I'm a doberman..

Barked: Sat May 30, '09 1:18pm PST 
For me, It truly depends what the food is.
I am guilty of giving the dogs things like broiled/grilled chicken and things.

I think it can be okay in moderation depending on the food...

I do not do it often, so my dogs are never begging.. which is a plus because I hate it when they do that!!! laugh out loudlaugh out loud
[notify]
Andrew

Did someone say- Treat???

Barked: Sat May 30, '09 3:23pm PST 
Bassets are notorious chow hounds and counter cruisers. I do not hand the bassets ANYTHING unless they "work" for it...sit, sit stay, belly, etc.

That being said they do get healthy scraps like grilled chicken or veggies, fruits,etc.

I know I am a hard a$$ but I do have my reasons..LOL

ETA.missed word

Edited by author Sat May 30, '09 3:24pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2