GO!

NEED HELP - URGENT

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 10: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  
Buddy- ADOPTED!!

I don't walk - I run!

Barked: Thu Apr 30, '09 7:25pm PST 
Well, Buddy bit my husband again and this time it's pretty bad. I have to do something NOW or I'm going to have to find a new place for him. Any suggestions?
I just don't understand...I thought we were making such progress! I mean, just this AM he was giving him kisses on his chin! I wasn't here so I didn't see it and from what Dan tells me he was actually walking AWAY from Buddy when it happened.
I asked him if I get a basket muzzle for him to wear when Dan is home if that would work until we can work through his issues and he isn't too keen on it, but it sounds like it might be something he would consider.
I really need some suggestions here!
[notify]
Sonny Jim

Franks say that- I'm BACK IN- BLACK!

Barked: Thu Apr 30, '09 8:21pm PST 
Sorry your husband got hurt?hug

Do you know if perhaps Buddy doesn't like men? Some dogs have a problem with one human gender or the other, and it takes quite a bit of work to get them to warm up. thinking

Maybe when your husband feels a little better you can try to figure out if something may have made Buddy react that way.
[notify]
Dahlia

Gone, But Not- Forgotten.

Barked: Thu Apr 30, '09 8:31pm PST 
eek Don't know your story, but the dog biting a person in your family is not good. Yes, dogs can have a fear of men, children, etc. Without knowing triggers & history, it's hard to say what to do, other than give support. Both your husband & your dog need to feel safe in the home, but the human should be the boss. The dog shouldn't have to wear a muzzle in it's own home, & the humans in your house shouldn't be afraid of the dog. Do you have any access to a behaviorist or trainer?
[notify]

Baloo RN CGN

Dog of all- trades

Barked: Thu Apr 30, '09 8:46pm PST 
Time for a behaviourist. Internet advice is great, but in cases where there is a bite history, does NOT substitute for a real life qualified professional.

Hopefully someone will be by to let you know how to find one in your area.
[notify]
Molly

Let's play!

Barked: Thu Apr 30, '09 10:47pm PST 
X2 on the behaviorist. Also get the muzzle until something can be worked out. I imagine any behaviorist worth their salt will tell you to get the muzzle also. You need to stay safe while you figure out the dog's triggers.
[notify]
Buddy- ADOPTED!!

I don't walk - I run!

Barked: Fri May 1, '09 5:20am PST 
Sorry, I was so frazzled last night that I forgot to include the whole story for those who didn't already know it....
I rescued Buddy last Thursday from his previous MALE owner who did not treat him well. He did not feed him enough and from stories I've heard from mutual aquaintences, he hit him.
Last Sunday he bit my husband for the first time when he reached over the baby gate to give him a little pat, but no damage done - a little swelling and a little confusion. Yesterday AM he was actually giving Dan kisses on the chin and wanting attention from him.
He is afraid of men, but we thought with his actions towards Dan the past few days, that he was begining to trust him.
I think the closest behaviorist is quite a ways away, but I will contact some local trainers and see what they have to say. Needless to say, Dan will now not go anywhere NEAR Buddy (understandably) and he told me to get rid of him, but I'm hoping we can reach an agreement on how to work this out.
[notify]
Dieta

AKA Baby Face

Barked: Fri May 1, '09 6:25am PST 
It is hard to say but reaching over a gated area is interesting. One the dog may have came to view the area as his domain only. Secondly, he could be also very pissed off knowing he has to stay in this area.
Needless to say very strange behavior. Was he walking away from the kitchen gated area when he got bit? Maybe the dog is using the area has His. And since he walked out of it, it may have been a warning not to come back in.
Like I said strange.
It is not unusual for him to be afraid of a man they walk different and have different scent. But, not sure what is truely going on. Sounds like he is guarding the gated area. It also might be hard to retrain him off of doing that to the area????
[notify]
Buddy- ADOPTED!!

I don't walk - I run!

Barked: Fri May 1, '09 6:29am PST 
Last night he was not in the gated area when the bite occured. He was just laying in the livingroom with Abby and Shadow and Dan's back was to him.
The original bite happened over the gated area. We originally had to keep Buddy and Shadow seperated because Shadow decided to be a jerk, he has gotten over that though and now they get along pretty well.
[notify]
Fred

I love the sound- of my own voice

Barked: Fri May 1, '09 6:30am PST 
just an idea, could you try rotating the areas that he is gated in? I did that with my bloodhound because he use to be crated during short periods in a certain room and then he began to gaurd the entrance of it so I started to rotate where he was crated and he realized he couldnt gaurd it all at once.
[notify]
ARCHMX Asher RL1X RL2X RL3X RL

we will dance in- the ring without- words

Barked: Fri May 1, '09 6:33am PST 
Buddy, you do need a behaviorist. Try the IAABC website and, if that fails, try the APDT website.

Then, proceed with caution. Be sure to ask for credentials, educational background, experience, methods used, references and see if you can observe a class or two.

Ash was a biter too. He also came to me with his issues built in. At this time, his last bite was 1-14-07 and counting. There is hope.

In the meantime, see if your DH can take over feeding and walking anything Buddy likes. All good things should come from him.

He should keep himself constantly supplied with a pocketful of something wonderful. If he can not hand feed Buddy, have him toss the treats to Buddy, ideally to the side of him so Buddy must lower his head and turn away to get them. The key is that Buddy only gets those wonderful thing from DH and he becomes a predictor of good things.

Do nothing to push Buddy. Everytime Buddy gets to that point, stress hormones are being released into his system that put him on high alert and make another bite more likely.

As to rehoming, it is practically impossible to rehome a dog with a bite history. There is a huge liability.

That is why Ash is mine. He started as a foster but if I had chosen not to keep him, the rescue director would have had him euthed.

We don't always get the dog we want, but we usually get the dog we need. Buddy has something to teach you. What it may be, I do not know, but I do know that my biter has changed my life considerably.

Some good books on the subject would be

Scaredy Dog and Focus Not Fear by Ali Brown

Click to Calm; Healing the Aggressive Dog by Emma Parsons

Feisty Fido by Patricia McConnell
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 10: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10