GO!

Everyone's thinkin it, I'm just sayin it (Great Danes)

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  
Stinky

*insert fart- noise*

Barked: Fri Mar 20, '09 8:20pm PST 
laugh out loud I haven't met many people who haven't at one point in their lives said "I want a Great Dane". I can honestly say, though, that I have felt a strong connection with everyone that I have met, I think they are beautiful creatures with a personality that matches mine to a T.

I've been researching them non-stop for around five years. I pick up every book I see, and spend as much time as I can with the Danes that come into my work. I've decided that I'm going to start saving at least $10 of each paycheck until I have over $3,000 or preferably more so I can get one day. Of course I would never get one until I am done with school and have a steady job. So I'm 18 now and am hoping to have one by age 25 (at least).

I just need one more thing, besides money. And thats you wink I'd like to know everyone's experience with them or anything they would just like to say. big grin

Thank you!!!
[notify]
Daisy

Mommy's little- princess

Barked: Fri Mar 20, '09 8:50pm PST 
I think danes are very beautiful but I myself have never wanted one. Just because they are not for me. Way to big lol! I am not good with those types of dogs. But anyways all I have to say is happy saving! I hope you get your dream dane soon.smile
[notify]
Mia

5/12/08-10/10/10-

Barked: Fri Mar 20, '09 9:59pm PST 
I am with you Stinky...one day!
I've met quite a few Dane pups who've had surgery early on in life to extract something they shouldn't have eaten, then there's the bloat issue, which scares me to no end.
BUT, I have never, ever met one that I haven't loved.
[notify]

Diamond RIP

diamonds are a- girls best- friend

Barked: Sat Mar 21, '09 4:08am PST 
since iwas a kid i have been in love with 2 breeds danes and dobes
i have had both.and iI LOVE DANES.i hope you get one one day stinky they rock
[notify]
Fungi, BH

Zoom-Zoom-Zoom- Zoomiiieeesss!!!

Barked: Sat Mar 21, '09 4:15am PST 
I just love Danes. Every one I've ever met is just so wonderful.
Someday! Hubby says that if I had my way, I'd have a bunch of Dobes and Danes running around! He's right!! laugh out loud
[notify]
quigley

wigley- quigley,the- quigster

Barked: Sat Mar 21, '09 5:26am PST 
I would have a whole pack, I have owned three at various times in my life and will say the blues and harlequins do tend to be more highly strung so until you are a good firm dog mama/papa consider a black or fawn first. They are fantastic with kids and other animals generally , but threr are exceptions to the rule so be prepared for this. They are big puppies too that grow into big dogs so need extra suppliments to help build strong bones and good exercise to help muscle mass. They are fantastic , good luck with your savings!dog
[notify]
Bam-Bam, CGC

Lil' Rubble

Barked: Sat Mar 21, '09 7:17am PST 
I think they are beautiful, but I'm a mastiff person myselfsmile Can't say I've ever wanted a Dane, but they are gorgeous gorgeous dogs!!!
Definitely do your homework on heatlh problems, finding a reputable breeder, and their care. Giant breeds need more special attention to details such as food, activity, growth, etc than people think! Good luck!

Edited by author Sat Mar 21, '09 7:18am PST

[notify]
Stinky

*insert fart- noise*

Barked: Sat Mar 21, '09 11:10am PST 
Oh I been doing my homework for years, and more to come wink I know pretty much every health problem, every personality trait, and every aspect of extra health care that they need. I know there is always more to learn though, as with every breed. I was planning on getting a black Dane if I don't go through Gentle Giants rescue. Then after that I was hoping to venture to the others and maybe one day get into showing them big grin

I can't wait!!
[notify]
Gunther

Little warrior- within

Barked: Sat Mar 21, '09 12:12pm PST 
Ummm..........Stinky, I would stay away from Gentle Giants rescue. They have had some legal problems in the past and if you look up some online backround on them you will find some very unhappy customers. I do have a friend who will always adopt from them (has adopted 3 so far) but I know of many more who have had problems with them. I myself was declined adoption (fence size) but it wasn't until after I got Gunther that I heard unsettling things about them.

Quigley you forgot about brindles............lol.

As for a great dane? I will always have either a great dane or mastiff at all times. Awesome awesome dogs. They can vary greatly in temperments, personality and size though so def. do your research.

Gunther has been the easiest dog I've ever worked with. He has his issues (he is protective) but listens extremely well.

Although I've never had this issue I have heard soooo many times that they are pretty destructive as pups. Eating their way thru sofas, drywall and doorframes. I even heard of one chewing thru an interior wall to the outside in 1 day!! shock

Socialization and training are key with this breed. Some danes can be reactive, and they are all big chickens as babies. They are afriad of everything as puppies. As some tend to be quite protective, socialization with all sorts of people and animals is important. Training is key simply b/c of their size. They tend to be "leaners" as all giant breeds are and when young they also like using their front feet alot so one needs to put a stop to that right away before you end up with a black eye or a fat lip.

Their nutritional needs are different than an average sized dog. They require something soft to lay on, no hard floors for them or they will end up with hydromas and/or large callouses and arthritis. Obviously bloat is a major concern for this breed, so one has to learn how to manage it as well as what signs to look for. Other health concerns include joint problems, heart problems and bone cancer.

I found an older dog breed book (1980) that listed the different personalities per color which I found to be very interesting. I thought I would list them here. It only lists differences b/t 3 colors. It states that there is a connection b/t the color and it's personality.

Tawny (fawn) dane: The tawny dane is thinner and more agile than the black: therefore it's temperment is more lively.

Brindle: together with the tawny dane, it is considered to be the liveliest of the danes. (of course I have found this not to be true with Gunther................LOL). It has a slightly thinner build.

Harlequin: Heavier than the other varieties of dane, the harlequin is equally good-natured and intelligent, but it is somewhat more phlegmatic and not as quick in responding to orders.
[notify]
Charley

The pain passes,- but the beauty- remains.

Barked: Sat Mar 21, '09 12:25pm PST 
WOW Gunther applause I was going to add something but I think you got it all laugh out loud
Gentle Giants IS horrible. Please stay away from them, I think they are more BYB then rescue.

I'll just add my personal experience with Danes. Charley is a big sensitive tender-heart. She is still a puppy but growing fast. One thing and not sure if it was mentioned or not if you do go the puppy route don't let them do anything you wouldn't want a full grown adult to do. Although in my experience Charley does what she wants to do anyway.. They are such gentle and kind dogs I feel positive reinforcement works best. Charley is a people pleaser and wants nothing more then family time. She will try to get away with everything so I have boundaries for her own safety. She is a quick learner and eager to please. I love Danes and will always have one cloud 9
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5