GO!

big and little

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Diamond RIP

diamonds are a- girls best- friend

Barked: Fri Feb 13, '09 5:53am PST 
ok who has a big dog and a little dog
why did you pick such opposites in size

we have a dane and a basset and often get laughed at when we go into town for a walk .
i always wanted a dane and when we moved to a farm i got one big grin
my husband wanted a hunting partner and also a dog that can fit on his lap so we got a basset.
[notify]
Keiko- (4/8/98-12/5- /12)

Queen fuddy- duddy

Barked: Fri Feb 13, '09 2:45pm PST 
I've got a giant, mid sized and 2 littles.

Keiko I actually thought would be much bigger than what she turned out to be. I was a bit disappointed but not too much as I had a hard enough time finding a place to live that would allow dogs over 15 lbs w/o having one that weighed over 75 lbs...........lol. (she tops out around 55 now).

Gunther is my heart dog. I have wanted a giant breed for some time and the great dane is such an awesome breed it was not a hard choice to make.

Nigel and Posey were not on my list of breeds i wanted.............lol. Sad to say, that is true. Don't get me wrong, I love terriers, but I'm drawn more to the scruffy ones rather than the smooth coated. But they needed a home and would be good "practice" show dogs for me to get some experience in the show ring with. they both have melded very well into the family and i would not change anything for the world.
[notify]
Sophie

I snort,- therefore I am

Barked: Fri Feb 13, '09 3:34pm PST 
I have a rottie mix (Helga) and a pug (Sophie), currently. My labby (Blake) passed away recently, he was taller than Helga. Why a little dog with big dogs? Well, variety is the spice of life, isn't it? smile

Personally, I prefer larger dogs. Sophie is my first dog under 45 lbs. She was my ex-boyfriend's choice and I kept her when we split. She's a funny little dog and I love her dearly. However, I don't think I would get a small dog again.
[notify]

Maya

Excited to have- a twolegger- sibling!!!

Barked: Fri Feb 13, '09 4:11pm PST 
I don't own both a large and a small dog but my parents dog Pixi is Maya's best friend. It's nice because when I walk Maya by myself everyone thinks she's going to attack their kids or something(has NOT helped with socialization. But whenever I walk with my parents with Pixi and Maya together people come up to her, pet her while theyre passing and everything! It's like they think "she hasn't hurt that little thing?? She MUST be a nice dog". I'm actually VERY surprised that Pixi has never been hurt by Maya. We plan to later hopefully get an American Eskimo Dog now that we know Maya knows how to be careful and play with smaller dogs.
[notify]
Missy

Miss- Pig!

Barked: Fri Feb 13, '09 6:40pm PST 
Well i have Missy who is a JRT x Yorkie and Ty who is a Lab x Whippet and is medium sized. I must admit it can be quite funny when you look at pictures you've taken and realise the height difference.

My desicion to get a bigger dog was based on the fact that Missy is aggressive with smaller dogs. She usually likes large males hence Tyler. She's been brilliant with him from day one. Funnily enough though my sister got a Maltipoo who's roughly the same size as Missy and she gets on great with him too.

Edited by author Fri Feb 13, '09 6:41pm PST

[notify]
Lily

Whose bed?? Why- would YOU think- that?

Barked: Fri Feb 13, '09 7:55pm PST 
Moira can walk under Lily, but they both qualify as medium dogs - just one on either end of the 25-50 scale. Lily is a 49 pound long legged Canaan Dog and Moira is a delicate boned 26 pound Border Collie/Lab cross. They are fine together. Moira makes up in character what she lacks in size, so they are pretty evenly matched. They thoroughly enjoy each other's company.

I chose Lily when my last dog died. I had wanted her a year earlier, but Sasha needed to be an only child. After I'd had Lily a year I had a dream that there was a dog who needed me at the shelter. Moira didn't need me. Lily needed her.
[notify]
Stinky

*insert fart- noise*

Barked: Fri Feb 13, '09 8:10pm PST 
We have Gypsy (Siberian Husky) and Stinky (Boston Terrier/ French bulldog). Gypsy is my boyfriends dog and got her because he has always been in love with Sibes. Stinky is my first dog and when I turned 18 my mom would only allow me to have a small dog. I tried so hard to convince her otherwise, but I couldn't and I caved and searched for a small dog and found the Stinker. Giant breeds will always have my heart, but Stinky is the love of my life big grin
[notify]
Zeus

The ledgend- lives on.

Barked: Fri Feb 13, '09 9:34pm PST 
We currently have two Bullmastiffs - and will be adding one (if not more) French Bulldogs to the herd here in the hopefully not too distant future.

What attracted me to the Bullmastiffs is their endless amount of devotion and the protection and companionship they offer as a family member. What attracted me to the French Bulldogs is their big dog attitudes that mirror the Bullmastiffs - but in a signifigantly smaller body. I also adore the comedic relief they are so renound for as a breed. Many Bullmastiff owners eventually also become French Bulldog owners - so you could say it's just a natural progression.

I can't wait until the day we go out as a group and somebody asks if "that one" (the black masked fawn French Bulldog) is "those one's" (the Bullmastiff's) baby! I know it'll happen! It's only a matter of time!
[notify]
Kahuna

Only my cover is- scary. Read my- book.

Barked: Sat Feb 14, '09 11:16am PST 
We have 2 Bullmastiff's and 2 tiny's at 5-6lbs each. No problems, it's fun. Supervision is key. The tiny's are crated for safety reasons when we're gone.
[notify]
Lady Bird

I love Klondike

Barked: Sat Feb 14, '09 12:45pm PST 
wavewave

Hey, I am a grant dog, and I live with 2 shih tuz and 1 Skye Terrier, 1 Aussie/Husky mix and 1 border collie/mix

And I am the big dog, cheercheercheercheer
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4