GO!

Orijen gave my dog a death sentence!!!

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  
Vada

Wish I was- healthy again.

Barked: Sat Feb 7, '09 9:01am PST 
Not only was it the protein that caused my poor dogs shunt, but the food has LEEKS in it which are onion family. I have had second and third opinions.. Just thought I would share my loss with everyone.
[notify]
Rocky

Oh, sunshine!

Barked: Sat Feb 7, '09 9:20am PST 
Last I checked, Orijen does not have leeks in it and I like their high protein content. Where did you get your info from? shrug
[notify]
Sassy

Princess and the- Pea

Barked: Sat Feb 7, '09 9:33am PST 
That is awful! I thought liver shunts were congenital?
[notify]

Bailey

Proudly- defending the- homefront

Barked: Sat Feb 7, '09 9:35am PST 
Orijen 6 Fresh Fish dogs include leeks, though I'm not sure the amounts would be enough to harm any dog. That said, it's listed on the ingredient list, and it's up to the owner to read the ingredient list of any food. If the company tells you something and you don't read, you can't fault the company, in my opinion.

As for the shunt, how do you know the high protein CAUSED the shunt? Not calling you a liar, but shunts are usually congenital. The symptoms made be made worse by high protein, but I'm not sure I could see how a diet alone would cause a blood vessel to spontaneously grow and start rerouting blood away from organs.

And in the case of a shunt, ANY high protein food would exacerbate the symptoms. Orijen, EVO, Instinct... It's not fair to blame just Orijen.
[notify]
Vada

Barked: Sat Feb 7, '09 9:36am PST 
FRESH REGIONAL INGREDIENTS
Fresh salmon (includes chinook. coho and sockeye species), salmon meal, russet potato, herring meal, fresh lake whitefish, sweet potato, fresh lake trout, fresh Northern walleye, freshwater cod, fresh herring, sunflower oil, salmon oil (preserved with mixed tocopherals, a natural source of vitamin E), sun-cured alfalfa, dried sea vegetables (brown kelp, Irish moss, dulse and bladder wrack), leeks, psyllium, crab shell, rosemary, lecithin, apples, black currants..

I borrowed that from the orijen website. And if you research aquired liver shunt, you will know why she is dying.
[notify]
Boston

King of- everything

Barked: Sat Feb 7, '09 9:37am PST 
I thought that dogs were born with liver shunts its nothing that is caused by anything. I did alot of research and question asking at my vets because of Bostons possible liver shunt. High protein isnt good for liver shunts because the liver is unable to process it like it normally should. Anyways he is on Orijen EVO red meats Natures Variet Duck and Turkey and NV Venison and Millet and all but three are high protein grain free foods and those are the three both mine do best on. But a dog with a liver shunt should be home cooked. There are several recipes for liver shunt dogs and are really awesome if you arent going through with surgery to fix and dog is on meds and special diet is needed I can give you the recipes.
[notify]
Rocky

Oh, sunshine!

Barked: Sat Feb 7, '09 9:43am PST 
My eyes must be missing a retina or something to miss the 'leek' when I checked the website. My apologies, Vada. red face

I don't know anything about liver shunts, but if the liver has trouble processing animal protein properly, it'd process plant-based protein even worse. So I'd stay away from SD and try homecooked like the other poster suggested. Just my two cents. smile

Good luck for Vada!
[notify]
Scooter

Work hard; Play- harder.

Barked: Sat Feb 7, '09 9:46am PST 
More than likely, your petstore purchased pup was born with the shunt. It isn't uncommon for dogs to be several years old before they are diagnosed. Protein content in even a "normal" ration will eventually evoke a reaction in a dog with one.

According to Dog Food Analysis Dot Com, Orijin6-Fish is the only version with leeks. The other leek containing foods are by Autarky and Defu (both 2-star stuff).
[notify]
Achilles

Professional- chick magnet

Barked: Sat Feb 7, '09 9:49am PST 
No offense, but what do you think wild dogs and wolves eat? The wolf constitutes a much longer portion of the dog's evolutionary history than does the domesticated dog, and wolves eat...MEAT.

Meat = protein and a bit of fat
[notify]
Vada

Barked: Sat Feb 7, '09 9:53am PST 
Dogs that are born with a shunt, well all of them are, but for ones that keep them, thats congenital. There is just 1 shunt with congenital.
Vada has aquired shunts, she has several, from the HIGH protein diet.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6