GO!

Please donate some recipes for my very small dog!

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

Cho Cho

SPOIL ME- ROTTEN!!

Barked: Tue Jan 27, '09 12:25pm PST 
Tried ALL the kibbles but he's just not interested!!!
I think i have no options but to turn to home made food.

He's a 3lb male yorkie, PLEASE kindly help me on gathering some recipes! I've tried to google but 99% are garbage info!

hail Any help is appreciated!!!
[notify]
Misty

Can I chase it?!

Barked: Tue Jan 27, '09 4:10pm PST 
I'm sure Sassy will provide some great info here for you. When I started cooking for the girls a few weeks ago she gave me the best piece of info I've gotten so far. The biggest worry I had when I started was making sure everything was balanced. Sassy recommended using 4 parts protein to one part starch and one part veggies. I like using chicken with carrots, green beans and spinach and oatmeal. It's cheap and easy.
[notify]
Cho Cho

SPOIL ME- ROTTEN!!

Barked: Tue Jan 27, '09 7:30pm PST 
Where cazn i find Sassy??
then what about organs and bones? none of that needed?
[notify]

Pumpkin Pie

Picky Pumpkin

Barked: Tue Jan 27, '09 7:56pm PST 
Sassy
Bones: Some people use raw bones a few times a week as a supplement. Cooked bones are dangerous as they can splinter and your dog can choke. Organs: I use organs once or twice a week, because in my opinion, they are nutritious. Some organs are: kidney, liver, spleen, lungs ...
Here are some recipes you might want to try. There's also a few books that are really helpful.
[notify]
Kobe

I'm the- Kobenator. I'll- be back!

Barked: Tue Jan 27, '09 8:13pm PST 
Kobe is very picky too and will not eat any kibble unless I add cooked chicken or beef with it. He used to like Proplan but I found out that it is not good dry food so we switched. I had to return many used bags of dry dog food because he will not touch them. He finally eats Halo now but only with cooked chicken or beef.

I boil chicken and cut into small pieces. Then I put it back in the pan with the stock and add frozen peas and carrots and cook a little more. I then store it in a container in the fridge. I heat up about 2 TBSP of it in the microwave for 10 seconds and add that to his kibble. Sometimes I saute ground beef with the peas and carrots, add a little bit of garlic powder and mix that with his kibble too. He ate like that the 1st 7 years of his life.

Last year, I started to do fully home cooked meals because his fursis has liver problems. He has his kibble about 3 days a week now and home cooked meal the other days. Our vet recommended infant liquid multi vitamins as supplement. It comes with a dropper so it is easy just to squeeze the supplement in their mouth. Good luck.

hug
[notify]
Gabe the Dog

It's Gabe. Gabe- the Dog

Barked: Wed Jan 28, '09 9:41am PST 
There are many great books with easy recipes (The Whole Pet Diet is one). With cooking it is important to get the nutrients in the food, but not quite as careful of a formula as with raw (muscle, organ, bone mixture). That said, a small amount of organ meat is good for pups, but start with a very small amount to make sure they tolerate it ok!

You can use sterilized, ground eggshells for calcium or purchase bone meal from a company such a Solid Gold for calcium. I also add fish oil (from Nordic Naturals or Grizzly Salmon oil from Petco).

Depending on your pup's needs, an easy way to start is one part rice, one part cooked mashed veggies, and one part cooked meat, plus a hard boiled egg. You may eventually want to make food without the rice, but this is an easy ratio to start with.
[notify]
Sassy

Princess and the- Pea

Barked: Wed Jan 28, '09 11:30am PST 
Wow Pumpkin those recipes are terrific! I saved them since I had only read they were on the web but couldn't find them.

However I would only use them as toppers. There isn't any added calcium for one thing. You could subsititute 30% of the kibble for these recipes.
If you chose to add the rosemary, garlic and kelp add much less. Rosemary can be a seizure trigger, garlic has a substance that causes anemia and kelp can cause a pseudo hypothyroid effect. The rosemary is used as a preservative [not necessary], garlic as flavoring [the real chicken takes care of that] and the kelp is there for flavor and iodine [way too much in the recipe].
I wouldn't add the grains, not needed if used as a topper.
I would use veggies found in the market for cheap, don't go broke duplicating out of season veggies.
I would just cover the food with water to cook, don't need that much. Then add more and warm the kibble/topper before serving.

If you blend try a stick blender. I got one AFTER I stopped blending Sassy's food. Hot food and a food processor are a big mess. Big. Really big.

To add LOADS of flavor try sizzling the meat in the pan before adding the water and vegetables. It isn't very good for you but you just do it until you can smell the sizzle so it isn't much. The meat doesn't need to be all pretty and browned for dogs.

Right, add a little organ meat to the recipe. Raw fed dogs get 10%, don't need more than that. So for the 2.5 pounds of chicken add 4 ounces of liver. That is plenty and your dog will love it even if you don't. I have gotten used to it but it took a while.

If you use this as a topper you don't need bones or calcium. Try this out for a while and see if you like cooking for your dog first. Then go find out about nutritional requirements and go for it if you like. I hope you like.
[notify]