GO!

Seeking fun ideas for Humane Society Fundraisers

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

Whoppie !

Barked: Fri Jan 9, '09 7:37am PST 
We are having a big planning session for 2009 and would love some creative ideas for fundarisers for our small RURAL Humane Society.
We already do Bingo, Monte Carlo nights, a small dog show, Charity auction. I know there is a WEALTH of info on this site, so please share!

Thanks, Ruth and Whoppie
[notify]
Zack

formerly The- Very Hungry- Puppy-pillar

Barked: Fri Jan 9, '09 8:15am PST 
Don't know if this would work for you or not, but we are also in a rural area and our shelter had a fundraiser that was pretty successful, even though I wasn't sure it would be. They had local artists paint ceramic outdoor statues of dogs and cats. The statues were displayed in a local parade/pet festival and then at local businesses throughout the summer. In the fall, they had a dinner/auction (which they also sold tickets for), where they auctioned off the statues. They made a lot of money, which surprised me as we live in a small community. I think the tourism board was also willing to help, as the statues helped bring visitors into the community while they were on display. You could pick up a map and try to find them all - it was a fun thing for kids to do.

I know in the past they've also had rubber duck races. You donate $10 for a duck, then they put all of the ducks in a creek or stream, and the first duck to cross the finish line downstream wins $100 or something like that. They bought some really cute ducks from Oriental Trading, so they weren't very expensive.

ETA: Pet photos with Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, etc. are also pretty popular and not too difficult to do.

Edited by author Fri Jan 9, '09 8:27am PST

[notify]
Sydney, My- Angel, RIP

Expert Human- Trainer

Barked: Fri Jan 9, '09 9:22am PST 
check out goodsearch.com. Also we do a fashion show for local retailers and then the adoptable pups/kittens strut their stuff with the models as well as a silent auction. I know of some that had the dogs/cats paint a picture and then they had a "dog show" and showed the artwork and the dog and they auctioned it off with the story of the dog, a picture of the pup and his artwork. we also sell local supermarket gift cards. Our rescue gets 10% of the face value of the card.
[notify]

Toby Austin

Barked: Fri Jan 9, '09 12:18pm PST 
We have a gathering in a local park where businesses pay to have a booth and exhibit their products and services. Several animal shelters and rescues have adoption booths and adopt out animals or sell t-shirts etc. Anything and everything that is even remotely associted with an animal is part of this event. They're pretty successful. I volunteered at my first one last summer and adopted out 4 dogs in one day! You could host it and your organization would be the recipient.

Good Luck!

snoopy
[notify]