GO!

Why did he run away?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Semper

Mr. Affectionate

Barked: Thu Dec 18, '08 6:42pm PST 
Our dog ran away last night after we let him go out to potty. We normally let him out to go potty and he comes right back within 5 minutes. However, this time was different and he didn't come back for a very long time. He came back early the next day dirty and very smelly. What could be the problem? We haven't gotten him neutered yet but we plan to very soon, could that be the problem? What do you all think? What should we do to prevent him from running away again? We were worried sick when he ran away. We definitely don't want him to do it again. cry
[notify]
Addy, CGC

Let's go for a- walk!

Barked: Thu Dec 18, '08 7:13pm PST 
His being intact could VERY likely be the reason he took off for so long. Intact male dogs can smell a female in heat at amazing distances, and will go to considerable efforts to get to her.

As for preventing it happening again, get him neutered. A securely fenced yard will help, too.

And then there's my mother's basic rule, which I've found to be a good one: No dog goes outside after dark without a leash on and a person holding it.
[notify]
Montecristo- (Monte)

That'll do, pig

Barked: Thu Dec 18, '08 7:22pm PST 
Train a good, reliable recall.

Restrain your dog, using a leash, tie out, or fence.

Never let your dog out unattended.
[notify]

Semper

Mr. Affectionate

Barked: Thu Dec 18, '08 8:08pm PST 
Thank you all for respondingsmile

We will DEFINITELY be getting him neutered very soon. As for a leash, I've learned my lesson and I will never take him outside without it again.

Thank you all againwave

wishes
[notify]
Lily

Whose bed?? Why- would YOU think- that?

Barked: Thu Dec 18, '08 8:46pm PST 
Why did he run away? Because he is a dog and because he can. Get him nuetered and get a tie-out. Then work on the recall.
[notify]
Sedona

The Wise Cracker

Barked: Thu Dec 18, '08 9:33pm PST 
He was a stray wasn't he? Maybe he misses his street friends. j/kwink

Dogs, especially intact dogs, like to wander. Just keep an eye on the little guy and get him fixed (which I see you're planning on doing).

Is it Semper as in semper fi? My brother was in the core.big grin
[notify]
Semper

Mr. Affectionate

Barked: Fri Dec 19, '08 4:43pm PST 
Yes, it's Semper as in Semper Fidelis (Semper Fi).

My little brother chose the name because he saw another dog on t.v with the same name. I took Latin for 3 years so I told him what it meant.
I think in some ways it fits him perfectly.

Also, thanks again for responding! smile You all are the best.cheer

Edited by author Fri Dec 19, '08 4:44pm PST

[notify]
Kahuna

Only my cover is- scary. Read my- book.

Barked: Fri Dec 19, '08 4:55pm PST 
Also at 1yr, he's got his confidance now. He'll do it again. I wouldn't leave him outside alone until recall is more reliable.
[notify]
Nallah

*Retrieva Diva!*

Barked: Fri Dec 19, '08 5:02pm PST 
Glad Semper made it back home safely!!

I would bet that he had other intentions being that he is still intact. We had a male lab who was never neutered, and every chance he got, he bolted. Like the others suggested, start out keeping him on a leash at all times, get him neutered and work on recall. A solid recall is priceless!!way to go
[notify]