GO!

Advantix

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

snuggles

snuggly puggly- wuggly

Barked: Wed Aug 27, '08 2:42pm PST 
My Mommy put advantix flea meds on me and I had a very bad reaction to it. Has anyone else out there had this problem?
[notify]
Mulligan

The- Flying Bichon-

Barked: Thu Aug 28, '08 2:52pm PST 
We use Frontline. Our vet doesn't like Advantix because some dogs are allergic to it. I have lots of allergies and the Frontline has never bothered me.

I hope you feel better soonwishes
balloons
[notify]
Bailey My- Irish Cream

Barked: Sat Sep 6, '08 1:06am PST 
My friend had Advantix put on him and he had a bad reaction too. Frontline does work better and kills more critters, including the different stages of flea development and it's not water soluable. It mixes with the oils in our skin. So if you're going to be getting a bath, wait a couple days after your bath before putting it on.snoopy
[notify]

MattieMay

Agility Diva!

Barked: Sat Dec 13, '08 4:07pm PST 
I had to respond to this thread, even though it is old. Beware! My Mattie got a BURN from Advantix. Luckily I had only put a couple of drops on her when she started SCREAMING. I tubbed her right away, but she kept crying and rolling on the floor after. I took her to the vet and she had an obvious burn on her skin. It took more than a week to disappear. We are able to use Frontline Plus without problem. When using any of these products for the first time...go very slowly and do it while the vet office is open! Our bichons, especially the whitest ones (my Sassy has some apricot and is less sensitive than Mattie, who is white-white) tend to have very sensitive skin.
[notify]
Kelsie

Barked: Mon Feb 9, '09 11:53am PST 
If you have a dog with ANY illnesses or on any other medication beware of Advantix. I found a tick on one of my dogs so next time I ordered from the online petstore I ordered Advantix instead of Advantage. Three days later my ten year old Irish Setter suddenly became very ill. We rushed him to the emergency hospital in very serious condition. His blood work was a mess - everything, kidney function, liver function, high fever - high phosphates (indicative of seizure activity) high white blood count. He died six hours later. The ER vet and my vet kept asking me if he could have gotten into anything toxic. I said no, no, no. It wasn't until a couple of weeks later when I did research on Advantix (because it wasn't killing the fleas on my remaining three irish setters) that I found a blog that horrified me. When I looked at the package warnings it did say not to give to dogs with illness or on other meds without checking with vet. Bailey was epileptic but had been seizure free for 4 years. He was on phenobarb and potassium bromide. It has been three months now and I don't think I will ever get over the fact that my ignorance killed him.
[notify]