GO!

Need Puppy Advice.

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Jewel

Barked: Sat Jan 19, '08 9:53pm PST 
I have a new puppy who is a about 7 weeks old when we got her she was fine. The lady told us that if she gets the runs at all to give her yogurt. So today we noticed it was getting a little runny so we gave her a little spoon full of it and now it is worse...was the lady who told us this wrong when she said to do this? or is there something else to do for this.
please let me know your ideas...thanks
Jewels Mom
Alanna
[notify]
Abbe

Don't even TRY- to hide the- socks!

Barked: Sat Jan 19, '08 10:21pm PST 
a spoonful of canned pumpkin (plain pumpkin) can help with digestive maladies.
[notify]
Mikhail (at- Rainbow- Bridge)

Have puddle,- will splash

Barked: Sat Jan 19, '08 10:24pm PST 
If i were you, i'd take Jewel to the vet.

Yogurt may have made her runs worse, but then again, unless you know why she was having runs to begin with, it's not possible to give you the correct advise.

wish i could be of more help.
maybe some other pup will be able to help you.
[notify]

Liberty Luv

I am not a- Rottie I- swear!!!!

Barked: Sun Jan 20, '08 3:58am PST 
Never take diarrhea in a young puppy for granted. The puppy should not get it. If you kept her on the same food the breeder had her on, there is no reason for he pup to have it. Puppies as young as us can dehydrate very quickly, a vet visit is in order to rule out parasites and bacteria.

Good Luck!!
[notify]
Nallah

*Retrieva Diva!*

Barked: Sun Jan 20, '08 5:51am PST 
I would definately take her into the vet as the pp suggested. You don't know if there is something more serious going on than just an upset tummy. If you have switched foods since getting her from the breeder, that could be the culprit but diarrhea in such a young puppy would should be a red flag, especially if the breeder gave you a warning about it. Please keep us posted and let us know how her vet visit goes. Jewel is beautiful by the way!! wink
[notify]
Donovan'sMajesticJet of Solace

Street sweeper!

Barked: Sun Jan 20, '08 9:00am PST 
Yep, go to vet. Too many things can cause runny poop. The yogurt was a good idea for imediate remedy because it contains natural bacillis the good bacteria in pups digestive tract. But you need to let the vet examine her as to the cause and correct diagnosis.
[notify]
Lily Jane

The original- dachshund- supermodel!

Barked: Sun Jan 20, '08 7:45pm PST 
I agree that the puppy should go to the vet. Diarrhea in a pup can be serious because the puppy doesn't have an immune system built up yet. The yogurt was a good idea like someone else said, but if it's not helping, the vet is your best bet. Good luck!
[notify]
Joey

50% Rugged Farm- Dog 50% Couch- Pooch

Barked: Sun Jan 20, '08 7:58pm PST 
I would get her to the vet... Take in a fecal sample and have it tested for parasites. Puppies often have worms of some sort. But don't worry- they are very common and easy to treat. Wash your hands after you pet your puppy, pick up her droppings, or play outside and touch the bare earth. It's general hygiene that should be practiced every day anyways- but you should be extra vigilant if there is a chance of worms.

I am very suspicious of the woman you got her from. For her to tell you that random comment about feeding her yogurt right out of the blue is a little awkward. It's like she was suspecting you to see Jewel have runny stools... I think this lady sold you a sick pup!

We wish the best for Jewel and you. Congratulations and welcome to the amazing world of dog ownership! If you have any more questions- we'll be here to help ya out!

way to go
[notify]
Jewel

Barked: Sat Jan 26, '08 12:19pm PST 
The lady we got jewel from said she was dewormed and had her first shots and they got rid of the fleas...but we found some fleas on her and we called the vet and told them and they said they are the ones tthat are left that are dying...she has not more worms that my mom can see. She is going to the vets next month for her next set of shots.
[notify]
quigley

wigley- quigley,the- quigster

Barked: Sat Jan 26, '08 12:27pm PST 
Please please get her to the vets !!! NOW!!! I see you got her from pet finder off the internet, and i too am thinking the lady who sold her to you must have expected her to get sick with such advice as give her yoghurt, she is very young too, must pups stay with mum until 8 weeks.
The Quigsterdog
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2