GO!

Shivering

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Lucy Louise

Just call me- Grandma.

Barked: Fri Jan 18, '08 2:10pm PST 
I have a question about shivering in dogs. My 15 yo dachshund Lucy has always trembled when she was nervous or cold. But recently she's starting doing this a lot more than she used to. I realize that she's got some arthritis (though she gets around really well for her age), and I'm taking her in for a dental in a week cuz her teeth are not exactly stellar. Thus, cold temps, chewing and such probably cause some pain for her which could cause her to tremble. So, I'm going to ask the vet about the shivering when I go. However, just to bounce the question around...does anyone know of another reason why she would be shivering so much? Thanks!
[notify]
Dusty

I'm just- tooooooo- cute!!!!!!

Barked: Fri Jan 18, '08 5:26pm PST 
While she's out for the dental work have an x-ray taken of her spine. Shivering in a doxie is normal for nerves or feeling cold but if it's not that than I would suspect the back. Best to catch back problems early.
[notify]
Lucy Louise

Just call me- Grandma.

Barked: Fri Jan 18, '08 5:31pm PST 
That's what I was thinking actually. And I'm definitely going to ask the vet about it. She doesn't limp or anything, so I'm really hoping it's nothing serious. She does yelp sometimes when my other dachshund Lily plays too hard, but like say Lily does play awfully hard with little old Lucy. I will keep you guys posted.
[notify]

Lucy Louise

Just call me- Grandma.

Barked: Fri Jan 18, '08 6:14pm PST 
I think for right now I'm going to get her on some constant crate rest until we see the vet. way to go Hopefully this will help.
[notify]
PLUMM - (9/1/92-10/2- 5/08)

The great- communicator!

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '08 5:43am PST 
Mom knows to be on the lookout for "shivering" ever since I threw my back out racing around the house when I was five - I needed surgery to relieve the pressure of the ruptured disc - Yikes! I've been fine since except for some lameness in my back leg... Mom took me to a vet who does a new proceedure called stem cell therapy (it's only been available for a couple months) Hope it works - I'd love to run up the steps again! Also I shivered when I had an earache - so pain makes me shiver as well as a VERY cold day. Take care & good luck!
Plummie
[notify]
Lucy Louise

Just call me- Grandma.

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '08 6:35pm PST 
Thanks, Plummie. I'm starting to think this is arthritis because she only shivers when it's cold. As things are, the loft apartment I live in has a 10F deficit when you go downstairs. So if it's 68 upstairs, it's about 58 downstairs. laugh out loud She only shivers when she's downstairs. And lately it's been COLD outside. But we're off to the vet on Monday anyways, and we'll find out for real what's up! Wish us luck...with the dental, too. big grin (
[notify]
Sadie Mae- Mae

the mazester

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '08 4:51am PST 
You stay warm little Lucy. Best of luck on your dental too. We will keep you in our prayers and keep our paws crossed for you little dear heart.

xoxo

hughughughug
[notify]
Lola

Has the queen- authorized- that??

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '08 6:09am PST 
Have you tried a sweater? My mom says I look ridiculous in clothes, but I get all excited and wiggle my butt when she gets a sweater out for me. I'm a hound, and I don't have as much fur as some dogs. The sweater really keeps me warm and happy!
[notify]
Lucy Louise

Just call me- Grandma.

Barked: Fri Jan 25, '08 8:47pm PST 
Heh...well. I realized that all three of the dogs have been shivering. Stupid inefficient loft! So, I'm solving this by getting a space heater to put downstairs. I'll still ask the vet about Lucy and arthritis, but I really think the dogs were just cold. Which I understand because frankly, I am too! I feel kinda goofy getting all worried before, but I suppose that I feel a bit relieved now.

And yes...the dogs LOVE their sweaters! They may be the only dogs that delight in their clothes, but they certainly are proud. laugh out loud
[notify]