GO!

I bit another dog so hard he has puncture wounds in his face

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Niles - RIP

*woof*

Barked: Sat Nov 17, '07 6:36pm PST 
I was adopted by daddy on September 30th of this year. He has worked really hard with me helping me with socialization, obedience classes, and a trainer. He knew that when he got me I was de-socialized after having been kept in a yard for a year receiving doggy play only once each week.

My daddy takes me on at least 4 walks a day and has me play off leash once he knew I could be trusted.

We went on a long walk this morning through the forest up north.

Today, I was leashed up to a street sign and a few feet away daddy and his friend were eating breakfast at an outside table at a diner. Daddy ate first after the walk, and then I got to eat.

A dog walked up to me. We sniffed eachother's face, but he kept just staring at me, so I bit him so hard that he got puncture wounds on his face and nose.

Daddy is really worried. I have tasted doggy blood, lost my bite inhibition, and has to report me by law as a vicious dog.

What should Daddy do? He is seriously thinking of giving me up.
[notify]
June (Carter- Cash)

Your job is to- love on me...

Barked: Sat Nov 17, '07 6:43pm PST 
June has done this too. And other dogs have done it to her...

Call a behaviorist.

smile
[notify]
Riley

Too smart for my- own good!

Barked: Sat Nov 17, '07 6:51pm PST 
Have you ever heard of fear aggression? Dogs will attack or show aggression because they are actually scared of the other dog. Riley does this. It's a long, hard road but it can get better with lots and lots of positive reinforcement and associations between other dogs and good things (treats).

I haven't used this book but there is a book called "Click to Calm" that I have heard recommended a few times.

Edited by author Sat Nov 17, '07 6:53pm PST

Pansy *gone- but not- forgotten*

Save a dog; save- yourself!

Barked: Sat Nov 17, '07 7:03pm PST 
Yes, indeed: fear aggression. Pansy was terrible with fear aggression and somewhat with territorial aggression as well. She finally had to retire out to the country with my mom where she lived until she passed on. I gave her lots of chances, but she just couldn't get over it. In fact, she ended up biting a person she assumed would hurt her or me. That's when she became a farmdog.

I would NOT give up on him after one incident. I WOULD contact a professional about what to do though. Fear aggression is tough to relieve (think about people with severe anxiety or PTSD), but it can be worked through. way to go
[notify]
Moxie

Kissyface- ATTACK!

Barked: Sat Nov 17, '07 7:17pm PST 
We love you Niles! We understand how confusing it can be out there....

Edited by author Sat Nov 17, '07 7:18pm PST

[notify]
Riley

Too smart for my- own good!

Barked: Sat Nov 17, '07 7:28pm PST 
If it helps it doesn't sound like Niles is too bad right now. Riley kind of has a bite/snap first, ask questions later type attitude. She doesn't all out attack other dogs and after she gets to know them and trust them she does great! I always say it's the getting-to-know-you process that she sucks at.

I think the most important thing is that the aggressive dog doesn't associate negative things with other dogs. This can happen when you use a negative stimulus as punishment for being aggressive. This just compounds the problem because the dog will associate other dogs with punishment/negative things and will really start to dislike other dogs!

Work slowly. Start giving out treats for calm behavior around other dogs. It can start when other dogs are 50 feet away, then 45, then 30, etc. You have to keep working slowly. Also make sure you are the one protecting Niles from other dogs. If another dog approaches, get between Niles and that other dog and show Niles that you are there to protect him so he doesn't have to do it all by himself.
Porter

I love to play!

Barked: Sat Nov 17, '07 10:37pm PST 
We love you too, Niles. It is a crazy world out there. I know you are a good soul.
[notify]
June (Carter- Cash)

Your job is to- love on me...

Barked: Sat Nov 17, '07 10:53pm PST 
This kinda of how I see it.

If your kid punches someone, you're not going to get rid of your kid. You're going to do everything you can to help your kid become a healthier happier kid. And just like humans having issues but still being a really good person.

In my opinion it's the same thing as dogs.

June has the same problem and I'm never going to give up on her. She's like my kid.
[notify]
Lucy, Pretty- Lil' Angel

Swallowed a- Whistle

Barked: Sun Nov 18, '07 11:17am PST 
hugMr. Nileshug
Niles - RIP

*woof*

Barked: Sun Nov 18, '07 11:55am PST 
I'm back on the muzzle again, and I don't like it, but that's just how it's going to have to be. Thank you all for your support! It means so much to Daddy that there's a resource like this on the web.

Daddy is looking into gentle leader. Any thoughts on this product?

*woof*,
Niles
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4