FINALLY GOT ONE! DANG! IT BIT MOM!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Phantom- Houdini

Ain't no- squirrel tree- high enough!

Barked: Wed May 9, '07 7:44pm PST 
So Phantom almost realized his lifelong dream of catching a squirrel this evening! He and Pantera spotted one on our oak tree and made a beeline for it. But this one didn't speed up the tree like they usually do, it instead kept circling the trunk about 2 feet off the ground. Not normal behavior for a squirrel... but it looked like something had gotten to it previously, because one front leg didn't look right.

Well, Phanny and Pan nabbed it off the tree before I could get "LEAVE IT!!!" out of my mouth. They dropped it at my shout, though, and I got them in the house. Niquita, meanwhile, moved in to investigate, and at my shout went from trying to pick it up to nuzzling it like it was a puppy! So I pushed "Nurse Niqui" out of the way and took a look. It didn't look good... some hair missing, a few scrapes, and it was letting out an occasional wheeze instead of the usual squirrel "distress call." I was trying to decide what I should do when I guess I got in a little too close (while trying yet again to shove "Nurse Niqui" out of the way!) and the dang little "tree rat" bit me on the finger! shock

Well, that decided it. The dogs had recent rabies vaccinations; I, on the other hand, did NOT. Mr. Tree Rat was going to be put out of his misery by the Department of Agriculture. I managed to box up the little sucker so that Hampden Township's Finest could come and take it to the Dept. of Ag. for testing. We'd had a rabid raccoon and a rabid skunk in our area recently, and last week someone was bitten by a squirrel which then CHARGED the police officer who was called to the scene (ironically, that one was NOT rabid!). Fortunately, I'd had a tetanus shot recently, so the only medical attention I needed tonight was a little swab of peroxide. Of course, I have to wait until late tomorrow afternoon to find out if I'll need that lovely series of painful shots to the abdomen, and if I should take my dogs (who all had contact with the beast) for "just to be safe" rabies boosters.

Well, I'm not foaming at the mouth yet, so I guess that's a good sign! laugh out loud

Edited by author Wed May 9, '07 7:50pm PST

Clover

Clover - The lucky one

Barked: Wed May 9, '07 8:47pm PST 
oh no!!! Hope all is well and you ALL are okay!!
Angel

I'm a licker not- a biter!!

Barked: Thu May 10, '07 7:11am PST 
Oh, goodness. I hope you don't have to have anything else done. Keep us informed.

Gromit

I'm- Labradorabull

Barked: Thu May 10, '07 7:55am PST 
That is so weird, I just heard a report this morning of two adults and a child that were bit by a squirrel in an elemenatary school. It just went into a classroom ran up the leg of a parent and bit him, another person and a kid on the way out of the classroom.

I saved a squirrel once that fell out of a nest. We named it Stella. That is where the name for my yellow Chevy truck came from.
Angel

I'm a licker not- a biter!!

Barked: Thu May 10, '07 8:44am PST 
I rescued a baby squirrel last year. I took it to Angel's vet and they saved it. It was so little and so cute. It had been laying in a rain puddle all day long.
Phantom- Houdini

Barked: Thu May 10, '07 12:47pm PST 
Still waiting on the final verdict... but here's an unpleasant addendum. Our development has a group email server, and some of us had been posting emails about sightings of a fox in our neighborhood as well as warnings on the recent local rabies incidents. So I posted an email telling everyone my squirrel experience.

Well, today I got an email from a lady on the next street. She was worried that the squirrel was one she & her husband had befriended (it wasn't; they'd been feeding one that was blind in one eye) and... well, let me quote the part that really put my panties in a bunch:

"Frankly, we and many of your neighbors find your dogs absolutely
terrifying. But this is probably what you want. I have seen them bolt out of your house. You should be keeping them under control. We hope that you do NOT have to have the rabies series. We hope that none of us have to be treated for being mauled or worse."

CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT? My dogs "bolt" out of the house because we have a LARGE back yard, and they have electronic control devices on them which keep them in the yard and under my control. They joyfully bound out into the yard when I let them out (after performing an obedient sit-stay at the door). They do not ever leave the yard off-leash. And this woman is an animal lover and should REALLY know better. I used to like her, but now I believe my mother, who has said that this woman tends to voice an unwelcome opinion about anything and everything. I wrote back and said that she is more likely to be mauled by certain overly-aggressive small dogs in our neighborhood than by my dogs!

This woman doesn't even live adjacent to our house; she lives sort of across the street from the folks behind us. My next-door neighbors LIKE my dogs and enjoy watching them play; they've even let their grandchildren visit them.

I am soooo steamed! I wish we had an emoticon giving the finger!
Cookie

Your Never Too- Big To Be A Lap- Dog

Barked: Thu May 10, '07 1:49pm PST 
I definently understand how you feel.

There is an old man that owns trailer parks on our street. One of them is directly behind and beside one end of our privacy fence.

He has never said anything to me or my kids when I am around but my son was walking Cookie the other day and was walking down the steet in front of the entrance to one of his parks and he felt it necessary to tell my son that pit bulls were not allowed in the park.

My kids have never been in any of the trailer parks in the almost two years we have lived here and neither have any of my dogs.

I hope the squirrel was not rabid and you don't have to get those shots.
Gromit

I'm- Labradorabull

Barked: Thu May 10, '07 3:09pm PST 
This is awful, but the upside is that you know how they feel.thinking
I hope that is the worst that you have to deal with in all of this.
Our positive dog mojo is with you!dog
Phantom- Houdini

Barked: Thu May 10, '07 5:28pm PST 
Yeah, attitudes suck. In total contrast, last night my best bud brought Phantom's girlfriend, Lily Munster, up to my place for a stroll around the neighborhood. He walked Lily and Niquita, and I walked Phantom and Pantera. At one of the houses we passed, a 50- or 60-something couple who were working in their yard came over and eagerly made friends with the dogs -- the husband got down on his knees and was cuddling Pan, who leaned against him. Cripes, going from one extreme to the other in less than 12 hours! frownshrug

Still haven't heard the test results yet... I'm calling the police and/or the Dept. of Ag. tomorrow.
Gromit

I'm- Labradorabull

Barked: Thu May 10, '07 6:51pm PST 
Nobody likes rollercoasters that way. Why can't it go down and then up and leave you up?shrug
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2