GO!

Nicest small breed doggie?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  
♥- Dakota- ♥

I'm a- PetFinder.com- Pup!

Barked: Mon Feb 5, '07 2:10pm PST 
{Kota's Mom} Hello! can anybody help me pick out a good small breed dogie for me, please?
Here are my preferences:
~No tendency to bite silenced
~Not yappylaugh out loud
~Medium-easy trainabilitysnoopy
~Under 20 lb puppy
~Can handle playing with a bigger doggiedog

See, origionally, I wanted a Pom, but I heard that they are dominant and pretty yappy so now I'm thinking about a Toy Poodle...

Thank Yous!!hug

Edited by author Mon Feb 5, '07 2:11pm PST

[notify]
Jasper

100% vermin- hunting farm- dog!!

Barked: Mon Feb 5, '07 3:28pm PST 
Ratties are great small dogs! There very active and dont need that much space but exercise like all dogs. Very trainable and easy to please. If you train them right they barley bark! Jasper would rather play with big dogs then small dogs and he weighs 17.2 pounds!
[notify]
Parker

Canine Executive- Officer

Barked: Mon Feb 5, '07 3:35pm PST 
Don't rule out the Pom! I have 2 of them. Yappy? No. They'll bark when someone is at the door, but I don't mind that at all. Other than that, as long as they're well exercised they're not barky. Since we've had a wind chill of -35 lately they haven't been exercised as much so they're a little bark-yer, but not yappy at all. Parker can be more on the dominant side, but Jack is totally laid back. Some of it is the age difference. Parker is 19 months, Jack is 3-4 (he's a rescue, so we're not sure). The yappy, more dominant Poms that I know are owned by people who LET them be that way. Parker and Jack are also GREAT with big dogs. One of their best friends is an English Mastiff! They're both really easily trained. I know some great rescues, too. If you want to know anything else, pawmail me.
[notify]

Gio

CD RE (CKC)- RXMCL (CARO) FM- CGN SJATD

Barked: Mon Feb 5, '07 3:39pm PST 
When it comes to small dogs, I'm a big fan of Papillions! I know the sweetest little one, she is training for flyball with the team I am with. She is very eager to learn and a true velcro dog, always with her mom big grin Not yappy, but she will let out a bark or two when she is playing hard. And she is definately a big dog in a tiny body ... able to handler her own when rough housing with the bigger pooches.
[notify]
Kitai

Chia Kitai!

Barked: Mon Feb 5, '07 3:45pm PST 
Michiko my 8 lb 8" high Pekingnese held her own with Kotaro who weighed 110 lbs. She was the alpha dog in the house. Pekes are great. Michiko was friend to all, only barked when she heard someone open the gate, she was a great watchdog, and was very playful.

Only drawback was her short legs combined with her smooshed face she couldn't walk too far before becoming winded. So if you are really active a Peke wouldn't be the right choice.
[notify]
Bruno

Brunoski

Barked: Mon Feb 5, '07 3:50pm PST 
Other than me, you mean??? My mommy loves Shih Tzus. Every time she sees one she turns to mush. She is planning on getting one, but I have to settle down and learn to be a nice boy....jeez!
[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Mon Feb 5, '07 4:00pm PST 
I'm not positive what you mean by "no tendancy to bite." There are so many reasons a dog might bite. For the most part, it's the kind of thing you can prevent with any breed through training. But there are breeds more inclined to be possive, territorial, or generally mouthy. I find a lot of Poodles will quickly resort to getting snippy.

Dominance is more an individual trait... Not many breeds are specifically dominant or submissive. Especially when it comes to other dogs, if you're concerned about pack order. Your best bet is to talk to a breeder about it, or, if you're planning to rescue, go for an older dog.

Yappy-ness is a problem for me, too. Barking annoys me, so I try to look for breeds with a reputation of being non-barkers. And I am also interested in smaller breeds at the moment. I've had the most interest in Basenjis and Shiba Inus, which can totally hold their own with bigger dogs. They tend to be on the independant side, though, and therefore more difficult to train.

The thing with Poms... I don't think they're a naturally yappy breed. But they can be manipulative, and are easily spoiled. Once they've got you wrapped around their little paw, they will use yappy barking to get what they want. Such is the case with every yappy Pom I know. I know Poms who, if taken away from their "servant," the change in behavior is so drastic people don't believe it's the same dog.

Edited by author Mon Feb 5, '07 4:02pm PST

[notify]
Missie

Teeth kisses for- everyone!

Barked: Mon Feb 5, '07 6:31pm PST 
Your list of "wants" is similar to what mine was. I purchased a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, and a Tibetan Spaniel mix. The Cavaliers are known to reserve barking, be playful, and not be the least bit snippy. The breed has serious health issues to be careful of though.

Another less known breed with similar traits is the Tibetan Spaniel. My Tibbie mix is slightly smaller, but a much tougher playmate than my Cavalier. They both enjoy and hold their own playing with big dogs. Tibetan Spaniels have a reputation for getting along with other dogs and animals well. They do bark at strangers, but otherwise reserve barking. They are very easy going, but also curious. They are closely related to the Lhasa, Shih Tzu and Pekingese, and are similarly a little on the stubborn side for training. Our little girl can be an imp about coming when she is called, but is so incredibly charming we easily forgive her for it.

Both of my new dogs are just over a year, and are all that we were looking for.

Edited by author Mon Feb 5, '07 6:42pm PST

[notify]
Bosley

Will Work For- Food

Barked: Mon Feb 5, '07 6:34pm PST 
The Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. These dogs are born lap dogs, but are also playful. They are known to be quiet and calm and weigh about 12-18 pounds.
Whatever breed you decide is best for you, please research breeders carefully and choose a breeder that has health clearances on their breeding dogs and someone who will be there to help you out at any time. Sometimes you have to wait a long time (up to a year) to get a well bred pup, but it is worth it. Nearly every breed has a rescue organization, and that is something to look into as well.
[notify]
Monty

Vicious- sighthound!

Barked: Mon Feb 5, '07 8:37pm PST 
Italian Greyhounds...

Almost all the iggies I know are under twenty pounds; most have been somewhere around ten. Although like almost all dogs they will bark sometimes they're definitely not "yappy little dogs."

On an average day Monty is pretty active for short periods of time, appreciating a good run and frequent play sessions...but mine are also very, very lazy little dogs. (Especially Livy.) My guys love to snuggle under the covers and snooze. Our younger guy, Monty, is more energetic; older iggies tend to be pretty darn mellow. They love attention and want to be with their people. Some iggies are true "Velcro dogs."

They're not the most trainable (compared to a poodle, for example) but they're far from stupid. It's really important to be consistent and to follow a routine for things like potty training. They're generally gentle (although like all dogs they need to be supervised around children) but they can be a little "fragile" just because they have such long long long legs. (And they're convinced they can fly.)

I love mine to death. For me they have all the advantages of the toy breeds (portable, adorable, apartment-friendly, long-lived) with the advantages of big dogs (not yappy, often friendly, &c.) They're exquisitely beautiful and unusual. Obviously every dog is an individual and no one breed is perfect for everyone but I'd strongly encourage you to check them out.

Here are some links:
-- link removed --
-- link removed --
Some of our adoptable "pals" right here on Dogster!

Please please feel free to pawmail me if you have further questions. Enjoy your search!

PS - Some iggies do really well playing with big dogs, others not so much. The real risk, again, is that sometimes they don't know their own limits and can end up hurt. But Monty ♥ my friend's lumbering enormous pitbull/??? mix. Other iggies are afraid of big dogs or don't seem to know what to do with them. I'd really recommend adopting an adult dog so you can get an idea of how he or she would react to larger dogs before you commit to bringing him or her home.

Edited by author Mon Feb 5, '07 8:46pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5