GO!

Uncontrollable lunging

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Rigs

Punish the deed,- NOT the breed.

Barked: Tue Jan 9, '07 4:51pm PST 
Hello everyone,

Rigs is doing great, weighing at 100# and doing really well with our training BUT……

When I walk him (usually about 1 ½ miles a day) he’s great with sit, sit stay, down, down stay, stand, heal, forward, etc. The problem I’m having is that when we walk within seeing distance of another dog, especially behind page link fences barking or as some do with just on a chain (confined and visible) Rigs lunges at them, usually uncontrollably. I’ve used what I’ve learned from you and studied, researched and tried a few theories but to no avail. He wears a med. prong collar and short leash (he’s tall) and I have been working on this issue for a while and would to ask you for your input. I WILL NOT hurt him by any means but the amount of correction needed for power and energy he releases is increasing intensely. I think an ecollar may increase his “loss of attention” and I would prefer not to use one unless it is absolutely necessary. I’m very proud of our accomplishments and am sure we will overcome this one.

If you can give any input, please email, I’d be glad to hear from you.

Thanks a lot,

Bjones
[notify]
Tia Maria

grey hair- DOESN'T mean- you're old!

Barked: Tue Jan 9, '07 6:53pm PST 
Hey there,my dog has the same problems (except she only weighs 50 lbs) - but have ever watched the show Cesar Millan the Dog Whisperer?? I've only seen a few shows,but his method is amazing!!! My dog used to pull me down the road even with a halti and everything,and it got worse when she saw a person or dog,but now I walk with her at my side,even if another dog is around!
I use a correction collar(choke chain),but any "choke chain",prong collar,or even just your leash will work.The collar generally sits on the base of a dogs neck,which is also the strongest part of their neck.Move the collar up so that it is just behind the ears and under the jawbone - keep the leash short,so you have alot of control- everytime your dog does something you don't want him to,you just tug on the leash and say NO - it seems like it wouldn't work with a 100lbs dog,but seriously give it a try! Because the collar is now sitting on the weakest point of the dogs neck,he will react differently than if it was at the base of his neck.It's crazy how well it worked on my dog - also, make sure you aren't getting worked up when he is bad - that's something that makes them worse,if you are getting worked up he isn't going to settle down! You have to be calm and assertive with him!
Check out www.dogpsychologycenter.com or watch his shows! I learned everything from him and it definatly works if done correctly!
[notify]
Marlowe, CGC

BAH-ROO-ROO-ROOO- OO!!!

Barked: Tue Jan 9, '07 7:18pm PST 
Taking a reactive dog and then using harsh physical punishments with them is extremely dangerous and my increase the aggression in some individuals. Not a good idea. This is why The Dog Whisperer runs a disclaimer at the beginning of every episode.

Start with this article here: http://www.canineculture.net/leashReact.html and then google "leash reactivity" and do some more reading up on it's causes and treatments.
[notify]

Tia Maria

Barked: Tue Jan 9, '07 7:21pm PST 
it's not harsh or painful.seriously.I wouldn't use his method if it was.my dog had the same problems and it worked. it depends on each dog.but I have to say my dog has only got better.
[notify]
Rusty

Barked: Tue Jan 9, '07 7:27pm PST 
I'm having the same problem. Rusty walks right by my side most of the time. Even if there are people or people walking controled dogs I dont have a problem. I have trained him to not pull on his leash at all. It is only with dogs barking behind chain link fences that I have a problem.

I just use a regular 4ft leash. My husband thinks I don't tug hard enough for a correction and thinks I need a choke chain. I really don't like the idea of it though but I dunno what else to do.
[notify]
Marlowe, CGC

BAH-ROO-ROO-ROOO- OO!!!

Barked: Tue Jan 9, '07 7:27pm PST 
Choking your dog isn't harsh or painful? I think I'd beg to differ there.

There are things you can do. This behavior is called leash reactivity and it is not that uncommon. Look it up. I'm not a behaviorist so I'm not going to dole out too much advice here but there have been many books and articles written about this by trained, qualified, credentialed animal behaviorists and trainers.

Edited by author Tue Jan 9, '07 7:29pm PST

[notify]
Tia Maria

Barked: Tue Jan 9, '07 7:32pm PST 
a "choke chain" DOESN'T choke your dog. It's a correction to gain your dogs attention and correct unwanted behaviour. IF it did choke the dog,it wouldn't loosen automatically,it would stay tight around a dogs neck. These are made so that once the correction is made,the chain loosens again, therefore NOT choking the dog.
Think about shock collars people use to get their dog to stop barking. THAT is painful for a dog! This isn't. Put it around your wrist and give it a tug,it loosens RIGHT away.
[notify]
Marlowe, CGC

BAH-ROO-ROO-ROOO- OO!!!

Barked: Tue Jan 9, '07 7:36pm PST 
If a dog is lunging and is wearing a choker, the choker is not loossening, it is staying tight. Unless your dog is on a loose leash, the choker constricts. Why on earth does it work if it doesn't hurt the dog? The dog is trying to avoid discomfort, therefor the dog doesn't pull. If it felt great, the dog would keep on pulling. It doesn't feel great. You are putting pressure on their trachea, which they need to breathe. It hurts. Put it on your NECK and have someone give you a collar correction while you throw your weight in the opposite direction and tell me that is just a tickle.
[notify]
Tia Maria

Barked: Tue Jan 9, '07 7:43pm PST 
I never suggested to put a choke chain on your dog and let him go nuts. I suggested the correct way to use it,and if it's used properly with the right methods, it can work. without hurting the dog.
I'm also not saying it WILL work,I just suggested the method that DID work for my dog,and for many other.
Nothing is ever the right way for every owner or dog.Everyone is different.
But if you have the dog properly controlled at your side with the collar in the correct place,it's not lunging at the end of the leash.
Nothing you ever hear on here will be the "right" way to do something - it's other owners opinions or methods that worked for them.
[notify]
Rigs

Punish the deed,- NOT the breed.

Barked: Tue Jan 9, '07 8:29pm PST 
Lots of good information and ideas got me thinking on my specific training techniques. I agree that works for some doesn’t necessarily work for all. That’s where we build our unique bond with our canine companions. I listen to all, think about it all as building blocks to training ME….

Seems like I’m close, just need to redirect Rigs energy as positive and not negative at the perfect time with the proper training tools.

http://www.canineculture.net/leashReact.html
Is taking a look at and we consider Cezar informational on a lot of subjects, but once again, we’re all a bit different.

We will get it, I won't give up until we do.

Thanks for all of the helpful information.

bjones
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3