GO!

I'm sick

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Caine, CGC

Barked: Fri Dec 8, '06 11:44am PST 
I started coughing on Tuesday night. Mom brought me to the vet on Wed. and I have kennel cough and a fever, they put me on amoxi. I haven't eaten since Monday night, well actually I have eaten a very small amount, and as always I will eat my treats. But my fever hasn't gone down. Mom is bringing me to the vet and they are testing me for tick borne illnesses and running additional blood work too. Do you guys have any thoughts? I'm just a baby, I'll be 6 mos. next week. And YES, I have all my shots, including kennel cough.
[notify]
Sammy- ♥ - KABX

Got Balls?

Barked: Fri Dec 8, '06 11:46am PST 
hmmm... I had a tick bourne disease, and I'd say if you are not showing any nuerological signs, like weakness or soreness in your back limbs or neck, that won't be the answer. I was so weak I cold hardly walk and I couldn't lift my neck due to the pain. I had Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever when I was only 2 months old. Plus they are not usually accompanied by a cough. So they kennel cough medicine didn't work? Poor thing, I know how it feels to have a high fever and nobody to know what is wrong with you. I hope they figure it out and you get better in a jiffy!

Edited by author Fri Dec 8, '06 11:48am PST

[notify]
Caine, CGC

Barked: Fri Dec 8, '06 11:48am PST 
When mom spoke to the vet today he said that he though that the cough was just a coinsodence and has nothing to do with the fever. Esp. since the amoxi should have lessened the fever but hasn't
[notify]

Rosalita Lola "Rosie"

Love is never- being told you'- naughty!

Barked: Fri Dec 8, '06 11:54am PST 
Awww you poor baby. I have no idea but hope you get well really quickly.
[notify]
Caine, CGC

Barked: Fri Dec 8, '06 11:57am PST 
Thank you Rosi
[notify]
Ziero - CGC, Rest in- peace 11/

I'm smarter than- your Honor- Student!

Barked: Fri Dec 8, '06 12:22pm PST 
I guess a big part of this is this question:

Have you ever had any ticks on you? I know with the longer haired breeds, they are not easy to see, so that is why I am asking this.

If you have not, then that would be a major rule out on anything tick borne. As for the other post that said just because you have not shown any neurological signs, this does not mean you do not have a tick borne disease. Many of the blood parasites from ticks do not cause neuro signs, most cause a fever and then progress to anemia of one type or another.

I think your Vet may be on the right track to test for tick borne things. He may want to try changing antibiotics as well if the Amoxicillin is not breaking your fever. Most Tick Borne diseases are treated with Doxycycline, so that might be the thing to try as well.

Edited by author Fri Dec 8, '06 12:49pm PST

[notify]
Ally - Queen of- Sheeba

We're having fun- now!

Barked: Fri Dec 8, '06 12:45pm PST 
I can't help you out as to what it might be, but we'll say a pup prayer for you!
[notify]
Caine, CGC

Barked: Mon Dec 11, '06 5:58am PST 
Well, when I got the the vet on Fri. I had eated and my fever went down but mom took me anyway and they tested for tick borne disease of which I have none. I am feeling better but guess what. I gave my Bro kennel cough. Now he can't say I never gave him anything. HaHa
[notify]
♥- Maggie- ♥

Adopt a- Shelter- Dog!

Barked: Mon Dec 11, '06 6:26am PST 
You poor babies! Good luck and hope your feeling better very soon!
[notify]
Dallas- Mueller

Dallasaurus

Barked: Mon Dec 11, '06 4:15pm PST 
Hi! I'm glad to hear that your fever went down and you are feeling better smile

I just went through the process of treating a dog with a tick bourne disease. Like your pup, he lost his apetite and had a very high fever. He actually tested negative for all tick bourne diseases, but my vet said that they might test negative:

1. Because they have not yet had time to produce antibodies
2. If the disease is in the chronic stage, the immune system may be compromised to the point that it is not producing antibodies at all!

The titer test for tick diseases looks for these antibodies to be present in certain significant amounts. So it could be that your dog may still be suffering from a tick bourne disease, which is nothing to take lightly, believe me!

I imagine if his fever goes away completely that you are in the clear, but if the fever remains, I would suggest speaking to your vet about treating your pup with doxycycline just in case there is a tick disease lurking there. The earlier you catch these diseases, they less likely they are to cause significant damage.

Unfortunately, we did not catch it early with my Dallas and it ended up really taking a toll on his immune system and bone marrow. He is on the road to recovery but it has not been easy.

Good luck to you, and it sounds like you may be in the clear (we sure hope so!!)

Kim, Dally and Lilly
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2