GO!

Hate mail to rescue?

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Taco

I LOVE water!!!

Barked: Sun Dec 3, '06 6:24am PST 
I would like to know if its just us who receive a hate mail at our rescue. We sort a receive one per 2-3 month. The last one was about our dogs price... People don't seem to understant what it involve to rescue dogs and to fly them here from the high kill shelter... The girl who wrote the mail thought we were a scam and we were making money out of the dogs which is so untrue. Actualy we run under the money we make with the dogs adoption fees. Us foster/volunteers are spend our personal money into our foster to get them a better life quality... I don't get hate e-mails...
[notify]
Magnolia,- J.B.O-p.D.M

Stir The Pot to- Prevent- Sticking!

Barked: Sun Dec 3, '06 6:36am PST 
Do you send anything back?
Explaining how friggin' expensive it is to operate on a daily basis?
Ask them/her if the money tree in her back yard is in full bloom, because you could sure use some of it to pay the bills and feed the dogs?

Gah, this kind of thing makes me sick. People think that because the dog was rescued/unwanted/discarded that that makes the dog worthless?

Not so.
I admire what you do, and cringe at the abuse you take to ensure that these dogs find good homes.
[notify]
♥Lord- Pippin&heart- s;

I RULE! I OWN! I- POSSESS!!!

Barked: Sun Dec 3, '06 6:37am PST 
Shame on anyone who does this.....!!!!!!! One needs proof, facts, and so forth before they can generically confront someone such as yourselves who are obviously doing a great service. Godl Bless you ....and ignore the ignorant comments i for sure would say!!!

HUGS.....
LP
[notify]

Daisy - R.I.P.

Good Morning- Beautiful.

Barked: Sun Dec 3, '06 6:42am PST 
Your rescue / shelter isn't the only one.... It happens to alot
[notify]
Tippy

You can get- anything if you- sit pretty!

Barked: Sun Dec 3, '06 7:17am PST 
We have gotten a few in the past.
People that can't believe that we charge $175 for a rescue dog that has EVERYTHING done already!
I tell them to go out and buy a dog and try to get all of the vetwork (spay/neuter, all vaccinations including kennel cough, heartworm test and prevention or treatment, flea prev, microchip and anything else they may need) for just $175, there is no way!
Stupid people kill me.
[notify]
J P

A DOG is for- LIFE.

Barked: Sun Dec 3, '06 3:05pm PST 
Taco, I hope you don't mind me explaining that because you import dogs from far away high kill shelters into your foster group it makes your dogs a little more expensive.

I think what you do is extraordinarily commendable. Your prices are still much lower than buying puppies from even questionable breeders, and having the foresight to see that our province could easily handle more rescues while other places are way overburdened was genius.

Just keep in mind that the people who are questioning your group are the people who want their pets for free, and we all know what kind of owners they often turn out to be.

Edited by author Sun Dec 3, '06 3:09pm PST

[notify]
Pearl

Save Lives! Spay- and Neuter!

Barked: Sun Dec 3, '06 3:29pm PST 
J P, I agree!
[notify]
Charley, - NPC

The Mgr. lives- in the - toolshed!

Barked: Sun Dec 3, '06 3:48pm PST 
Sadly, we've had people tell our group to our faces that we were ripping them off. We got the dog 'for free' so why do we charge so much? We try to ignore them and move on. Your group is doing a wonderful thing so just try to ignore the ignorance.

I know it's not illegal to be stupid but sometimes I swear it ought to be.
[notify]
Abby

Ah, to Sleep in- the Shade

Barked: Sun Dec 3, '06 8:02pm PST 
Well, I'm not involved enough in any specific organization to have recieved any hate mail... But if it helps, I know someone who sent a hate mail to a rescue, and he's a friggin' moron. Something about him trying to adopt several dogs from an out of state group, even though he all ready had several dogs; He was told he would be rejected as it's against policy to adopt out of state and the dogs he wanted needed to be in single-pet households... And he applied anyway. And got rejected. And got mad and sent hate mail.
[notify]
Taco

I LOVE water!!!

Barked: Mon Dec 4, '06 9:11am PST 
Magnolia, yes we did replied to that lady. My coordinator explained why our dogs were a little bit more expensive and what does our rescue involved.
Our dogs are all spayter, wormed, hearth worms checkecked, if neg they are put onto hw preventative for 6 mo and if positive treated, flea checked, shots up to date, vet checked, rabie shot, vet visit if needed when they arrived, we have to pay for the flight, pay for the crate, gaz expenses for transport to airport from the shelter, we pay for food, leash, collars, toys, blankets, and the list goes on and on.
I understand that our prices are a bit higher than usual but we don't even make a penny out of it and all the new parents are more than willing to pay for the little bit higher price. We charge between 350 and 450$ for our dogs and we don't make a penny out of it.
I hope that gilr will undestand better our goal and what it involved with the e-mail my coordinator sent to her.

Thanks guys to cheer me up today!!! smile
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3