Nervous

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Boomer- Sooner

I am Boomer dog!

Barked: Sat Oct 14, '06 4:56pm PST 
My Mommy is looking into getting pet insurance for my sister Dottie and I. However, she's nervous about it. She doesn't understand all the lingo and what exactly she would need for good coverage for the 2 of us. She wants something good and has been told that VPI is but is still nervous about it. What are the feelings of everyone else? Something that would really convince my Mom that this is a good thing that Dottie and I need.

Woofs and Wags,
Boomer
Shelby

Shelbster

Barked: Mon Oct 16, '06 9:35am PST 
Hi, Boomer and Dottie

Thanks for posting your question about pet insurance. Bentley, Tread, Tommy, Sophia and Templeton -- who've recently posted messages on our group page -- all have VPI insurance and can perhaps settle your nerves. If you don't get a response from the forum posting, try reaching out to them via the message board to ask for some feedback on their experience with VPI. Of course, I'm a bit biased because I've had VPI for four years (since I was a wee pup) and my mom works for the company. It has brought my family peace of mind, knowing we can get some reimbursements for vet bills and in case we have an emergency (and I've had a few!). And guess what? VPI offers a multiple-pet discount for families with two or more pets. In addition to hearing from Protected Pooches members, check out the VPI Web site: petinsurance.com or call Customer Care at 800-540-2016.

Right now VPI has two different policy plans (Superior and Standard). Your annual premium is based on your dog's age and health and can start as low as $19 a month, which can be paid annually or monthly. There is a $50 deductible for each different vet visit (if you're going back for a recheck, the deductible does NOT apply). You pay the bill in full at your vet's clinic, then submit your claim to VPI in order to get your reimbursement. Each plan pays out benefits up to 90% from a benefit allowance schedule...for example, if a particular condition has a benefit allowance of $100 for the year and you file a claim for $120 for that particular condition, only $100 is eligible for reimbursement. THEN that $50 deductible is applied. So you have $50 left for your 90% reimbursement, which comes out to $45. What's left in your benefit allowance is $55 -- which will be available to you throughout the rest of the year until you exhaust all benefits. There is a list of all eligible expenses (i.e., prescriptions and treatments) on the Web site.

Since Boomer and Dottie are in the 1-3 age bracket, you're still starting out early, which means a lower premium. The next age bracket is 4-7. As with any insurance (even for humans), insurance increases with age due to the higher risk in health.

To decide whether or not you need insurance, just think about how often you visit your vet...how your health is...some dogs are just blessed with good health...especially those mutts. We had Lucky for 17 years -- she was a Retriever mix and her only ailment was a bum knee from too much hunting/running. Lived a long, healthy life and rarely went to the vet. Died from natural causes at home earlier this year. I'm a Lab and tend to have all sorts of Lab issues, and I'm very, very active outdoors, so my mom feels comfortable knowing she's covered if I get hurt or sick. All in all, it has been worth the $185 she spent on her premium this year. And to date, based on the number of vet visits so far this year, we've gotten back all $185 through our reimbursements, so we've broken even so far and still have a few months left in the year in case we need it.

We hope you find a plethora of answers here on the group site. Our goal isn't to sell insurance plans, but mainly to answer questions just like yours...for pups who aren't sure what it is, how to use it, or if it's worth it. Check out some of the messages that have been posted by other VPI pups and reach out to some of them.

Woofs and tail spins, Shelby Dog
Shelby

Shelbster

Barked: Mon Oct 16, '06 9:51am PST 
Boomer,

Sorry...just noticed a typo...the VPI age bracket is 1-4, 5-7 (not 1-3, 4-7). And my mom actually paid $148 for this year's premium (just checked), under the Standard Plan and without the Cancer Rider ($45) or the Routine Health Care package ($99). When my renewal comes up in January, though, I'll be signed up for the total package under the Superior Plan, which will increase my premium to $385. That cancer stuff just freaks my mom out, especially since I'm a Lab...

Woof, Shelby

Sophia (Pink Princess)

Barked: Mon Oct 16, '06 10:53am PST 
Hi Boomer & Dottie,

We don't know what coverage is best for you, but can tell you that having VPI has actually been a cure for a large part of our mom's nervousness about our healthcare.

Gabby hasn't had any claims yet, but mine have always been processed exactly as described in my policy. My reimbursement checks arrive about a month after the claim's sent in. When we've had questions, the folks at VPI are always friendly & professional.

Here's a tip: have your vet put a blank VPI claim form in your file to use as a master copy in case you forget to take one with you when you visit
Agadore Spartacus

I'm a lover, not- a fighter!

Barked: Thu Oct 19, '06 11:17pm PST 
hey guys--
I've got VPI insurance-- had it for about 2 yrs and never used it. I've had my share of mishaps and illness, but I didn't get the insurance for the day to day stuff. I have this in case a major accident happens, or a major illness. My vet would treat me anyway, but this is my ace in the hole IN CASE . I never want to have to base a decision about my care on money.
Sophia (Pink Princess)

Barked: Mon Oct 23, '06 3:13pm PST 
I've been visiting the health forum for the last few weeks. It's sad to see people worrying about how to pay for procedures that I know would be covered under my policy.
Casey

Casey - I love sleeping- in the sun!

Barked: Wed Nov 8, '06 1:46pm PST 
Hi Boomer and Dottie,
My Mom has VPI Superior Plan plus Routine Care Coverage with a added cancer rider. She pays about $48.00 a month for it and is very happy with it. Some years the plan costs more then the reimbursements work out to be...but there are some years when the reimbursement has been more the the cost of the plan. Having had a previous dog who had cancer in his later years...my Mom figures whatever it costs it would be worth it in the long run. The routine care plan covers lots of the routine visit costs like ...shots...dental...flea and tick medication. Mom takes me to the vet..and then faxes everything to VPI...they even send her an email saying they got her fax! My Mom says she would never have another pet without VPI. They send a detailed Explanation Of Benefits (an "EOB" explaining what they paid for ..how much..and why). Once when my Mom called with a question because she didn't think they reimbursed her enough they were very nice on the phone and looked into it...and you know what...they spoke to my Vet and decided they should send Mom more money..and did!
So tell your Mom not to be nervous VPI has treated us just wonderfully.
Casey

Casey - I love sleeping- in the sun!

Barked: Wed Nov 8, '06 1:48pm PST 
Hi Boomer and Dottie,
My Mom has VPI Superior Plan plus Routine Care Coverage with a added cancer rider. She pays about $48.00 a month for it and is very happy with it. Some years the plan costs more then the reimbursements work out to be...but there are some years when the reimbursement has been more the the cost of the plan. Having had a previous dog who had cancer in his later years...my Mom figures whatever it costs it would be worth it in the long run. The routine care plan covers lots of the routine visit costs like ...shots...dental...flea and tick medication. Mom takes me to the vet..and then faxes everything to VPI...they even send her an email saying they got her fax! My Mom says she would never have another pet without VPI. They send a detailed Explanation Of Benefits (an "EOB" explaining what they paid for ..how much..and why). Once when my Mom called with a question because she didn't think they reimbursed her enough they were very nice on the phone and looked into it...and you know what...they spoke to my Vet and decided they should send Mom more money..and did!
So tell your Mom not to be nervous VPI has treated us just wonderfully.
Hannah

Obey the- Schnauzer!!

Barked: Thu Nov 9, '06 10:44am PST 
My mommy has had VPI insurance for me pretty much since she got me. She's been very happy with it... it has come in handy. I had to go to the vet a couple of times because I had gotten sick (which we eventually realized was from an allergic reaction to my heartworm medicine... they switched it, and now I'm OK!). It also came in handy when I had surgery a month ago for an obstruction... mommy's very happy she has it. My aunt has it for my cousin Becky too. When mommy tells people who don't have dogs that she has insurance for me they look at her like she's nuts... but she doesn't care.
FinnRyan

Rest in Peace,- Suzy and Buster.

Barked: Thu Nov 9, '06 5:36pm PST 
I'm the first dog that my mom has gotten VPI coverage for, and she's really glad she did. I have coverage that takes care of everything! Mom figured that since I was such a large breed, my vet expenses would be as big as me!, and she was right...I've had some gastroenteritis, and of course my preventative meds. are expensive. She doesn't have to worry if I ever need surgery, ouch, that brings back memories of my neutering!
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2