GO!

How do you treat a Hematoma??

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Kobi

Skit 'em- Squirrels!

Barked: Mon Aug 7, '06 12:46am PST 
I went to the vet last week and he shaved my neck and took a blood sample from there for my Thyroid test. Well, the next day, my mom noticed that my neck was all oozy and there was pus all over my collar. So she took my collar off so it wouldn't irritate it any more. Well, it got to itching real bad so I scratched it and now I have a big sore spot under my skin on my neck about the size of a half dollar or a little bigger and it is really sore. It is dark red and hard, and kinda lumpy and crusty feeling on the outside. Mom has been putting neosporin ointment on it to try to keep it soft so maybe it won't itch me so much, but she is really worried about it since it is really underneath my skin. She is going to call the vet in the morning and maybe take me in to have him look at it. Has anybody else ever had this happen or know what to do for it?
[notify]
Bauer- (1997-2005)

Life is short.- Suck the fleece.

Barked: Mon Aug 7, '06 7:34am PST 
The only experience with a hematoma that I've had was on my second TPLO.
I started spurting (yes spurting) blood and serum out of my knee.
Mom called the vet at 2 in the morning, thinking I was dying, and he just calmed her down and told her to bring me in the next morning (that morning, actually).
then, they wrapped it and changed the bandages daily, and it resolved itself.
There was no pus though, it was just a little light red geyser.
Apparently harmless, but scary to see in action.
[notify]
In Loving- Memory of- Peanut

Peanut-- The sentinel and- yard guard

Barked: Mon Aug 7, '06 7:57am PST 
A hematoma is a bruise, treat it as such . Ice as soon as possible. there are herbs you can put on it to make it absorb quicker, but cant remember what they are. Most matial arts instructors could tell you those herbs.
[notify]

In Loving- Memory of- Peanut

Peanut-- The sentinel and- yard guard

Barked: Mon Aug 7, '06 7:57am PST 
A hematoma is a bruise, treat it as such . Ice as soon as possible. there are herbs you can put on it to make it absorb quicker, but cant remember what they are. Most matial arts instructors could tell you those herbs.
[notify]
Kobi

Skit 'em- Squirrels!

Barked: Tue Aug 8, '06 12:22pm PST 
Well, I have good news! I went back to the vet yesterday and he cleaned my neck up and it turned out it wasn't a hematoma at all! It was just really bad clipper burn from where they shaved me, compounded by my collar rubbing it and then me scratching it, it had gotten pretty sore and yucky. But once it was all cleaned up, it looks alot better now and it will heal just fine. We are putting ointment on it and that helps keep me from scratching it. Thanks for the responses! We appreciate it!
[notify]
Bernadette- 02/05/04 - 09/25/08

Ripped out of my- family\'s arms- too soon

Barked: Tue Aug 8, '06 3:28pm PST 
Great news, Kobi!

BTW, You are one good looking dog!