GO!

Eating Poop

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Chloe

occassionaly- eats poo

Barked: Mon May 15, '06 4:00am PST 
Hi
I like to occassionally eat some of the poo in my garden before my familly have the chance to clean it up.. I think I do it because there are still some nutrients and stuff in there but my familly call me poo-breath when I do it which is quite upsetting.

Is this normal behaviour or should my familly change my food?

Thanks

Poo-Breath Beagle
[notify]
Cerys

Bonehead

Barked: Mon May 15, '06 4:20am PST 
What Chloe fails to mention is it just how horrible it is when she decides to be sick in our shared basket after comsuming the afor-mentioned poo.

poo-sick yuk.
[notify]
Sara

My new name: - SUPER GLUE

Barked: Mon May 15, '06 4:26am PST 
Sara Here:

Chloe, it is not a real good idea to eat dog poop as the poop can contain all sorts of bad things.

One that comes to mind is Giardia. You don't want to get this as it will make you feel SUPER BAD.

There are products on the market that you might try.

One is DISTASTE from Drs Foster-Smith. This will make your poop
taste like poop.

Edited by author Mon May 15, '06 4:28am PST

[notify]

Chloe

occassionaly- eats poo

Barked: Mon May 15, '06 5:27am PST 
Thanks a lot Sara, my family came across this article whilst googling the subject..

Why do dogs (and other animals) eat poop?

Many animals eat poop on a regular basis. These include rabbits, rodents, gorillas, many insects such as dung beetles and flies, and yes, dogs. (Keep that in mind the next time a dog wants to lick you!) Herbivores such as rabbits and rodents eat their own poop because their diet of plants is hard to digest efficiently, and they have to make two passes at it to get everything out of the meal. This is equivalent to a cow chewing its cud, only cows are able to re-eat their food without having to poop it out first. Another reason why animals eat poop is that poop contains vitamins produced by their intestinal bacteria. The animal is unable to absorb the vitamins through the intestinal wall, but can get at them by eating the poop. Another reason that animals such as dogs and flies eat poop is that poop contains a certain amount of protein. Dogs are particularly fond of cat poop because cat poop is high in protein. I had a friend with a dog and a cat, and he never had to clean the kitty litter. The dog took care of it.
[notify]
♥RAIK- O♥

MS. ANXIOUS- BARKSTER!

Barked: Mon May 15, '06 6:10am PST 
Hi;
I am somewhat bigger than a beagle, my Mom has found this pill in Drs.Foster & Smith, it is called Dis-Taste. I also had this same NASTY habit, it really grossed her out. She gave me 3 tablets a day, dropping them in my food. They work great!!!!
I fall off of the "wagon" once in awhile, she them gives them to me. It makes the taste of the Poop not good at all, & I then don't want it.
Raiko & Mom
PLEASE CHECK THIS PRODUCT OUT, IT DOES WORK.
[notify]
Cousin- Apollo- (1989-2005)

When will I eat- next?

Barked: Mon May 15, '06 12:31pm PST 
Poop Rocks!
[notify]
Isabella- Martini- ღ

Isabella - LWD Terriorist

Barked: Mon May 15, '06 1:37pm PST 
I was a poop eater but then Mom put Meat Tenderizer in my food and oh boy did I stop eating that poop! It made it taste horrible!!!!

Hope this helps you, cause it sure cured me!
[notify]
Isabella- Martini- ღ

Isabella - LWD Terriorist

Barked: Mon May 15, '06 1:38pm PST 
I was a poop eater but then Mom put Meat Tenderizer in my food and oh boy did I stop eating that poop! It made it taste horrible!!!!

Hope this helps you, cause it sure cured me!
[notify]
Rosie- Moondog

I Love My- Shellies

Barked: Mon May 15, '06 2:28pm PST 
Isabella, what kind of tenderizer do you use?

I love to eat cat poo, but I'll eat my own on ocassion. My vet said that if it's your own, and it's fresh there isn't much to worry about other than being kissed by poo lips. What's wrong with that I ask you?

Personally, I think the idea of dogs eating cat poo is a misnomer. I like it because it tastes like cat food and cat all at the same time. Not that I eat cat, but still it's tasty.

Edited by author Mon May 15, '06 2:30pm PST

[notify]
Chloe

occassionaly- eats poo

Barked: Tue May 16, '06 1:09am PST 
I haven't tried Cat poo but will willing try cat if me and Cerys ever catch that annoying ginger fatty that sits annoyingly on top of our OUR shed!

I have also eaten Sheep and rabbit poo, an excellent tip to make your owners go bonkers is to find an identified poo in the forest and roll in it..
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3