GO!

mid-Atlantic breeders

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Barked: Fri Aug 5, '11 2:03pm PST 
We've determined that a standard poodle is the breed for us. Can anyone recommend a reputable breeder in the mid-Atlantic area (PA, DE, MD, NJ, or NY)? Health and temperament are far more important than color.

Thanks!
[notify]
Nova CGC

Supernova

Barked: Sat Aug 6, '11 11:28am PST 
Not sure about the area you specified, but a much more active forum on the topic of poodles is www.poodleforum.com

They have an online breeder directory and tons of active members from all over the US (and the world for that matter) that can help you learn what to look for in a reputable breeder and also offer suggestions on breeders to look at in your area.

As an FYI, my Sonya came from Alexander Poodles in NY. I don't know a lot about them (Sonya was donated to the service dog school I volunteer with) but Sonya and her siblings (also donated) have exceptional temperaments. She is a moderate energy level, exceptionally healthy, exceptionally affectionate girl. I believe Alexander poodles may have some babies available now (or they did a couple weeks ago). I don't think they do much conformation showing anymore, but rather focus on producing working dogs with great temperaments. They donate a lot of puppies into service work, as guide dogs or other types of service dogs. Good luck in your search!
[notify]

Barked: Sun Aug 7, '11 1:51am PST 
Thank you. I'll check out poodleforum.com
[notify]