GO!

New Standard Poodle Puppy coming in March!

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Hoover SDIT

you call this- work?!

Barked: Thu Dec 31, '09 7:39am PST 
Well I raise puppies for the Guide Dog Foundation for the Blind, and my current pup (Hoover) is due to go In For Training the first week in February. I requested my next pup be a standard due to the fact that I have dog allergies and the Labradors really aggravate them. Well, my pup was born on December 26 and will be shipped to me the first week of March. I am SUPER excited, but have never owned or worked with Standards before, and was wondering if anyone had any advice on what to expect/prepare for? How different are they from labradors?
[notify]
POSH ( CGC- )

Yes, I am this- Purdy in the- morning

Barked: Thu Dec 31, '09 9:29am PST 
Yes, I think standards are the BEST. I own two and a Goldendoodle as well. However, I think their temperment is unique to each individual dog, just like any other breed. Sambo, would NOT make a good therapy dog because it takes him time to warm up to people. Posh my puppy comes from a line of 28 of them and nothing rattles her.

Good Luck. They are the most loving dogs ever!
[notify]
Hoover SDIT

you call this- work?!

Barked: Thu Dec 31, '09 3:46pm PST 
Posh is possibly the most adorable thing I have ever seen! I am so excited. I have raised two labs for GDF now. I have never been a huge fan of the breed, I am just not a labrador person, so when I was asked what I wanted to do when Hoover went IFT, I told them I didn't want another pup until I could get a poodle. At the time, they didn't know when they would have another litter, as they only have one or two poodle litters a year (as opposed to probably close to 50 lab and golden litters). I got an email last week saying that a litter had been born and I am so happy that I am getting one so soon. I always thought they were really neat, but never really thought I would have one. I think they are just the coolest dogs.
[notify]

Tintlet Destin Parfait (Tripp)

Barked: Thu Dec 31, '09 4:48pm PST 
Jillian @ American Poodles at Work could probably give you some insight into Poodles as service dogs, and temperment comparisons. ;-)
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/546609
http://apaw.americanpoodles atwork.org/
Good luck and congrats!
[notify]
Hoover SDIT

you call this- work?!

Barked: Thu Dec 31, '09 6:31pm PST 
Thanks! I will certainly check them out smile
[notify]
POSH ( CGC- )

Yes, I am this- Purdy in the- morning

Barked: Sat Jan 2, '10 2:34pm PST 
Thank you about Posh. Sambo is great too, but really protects his family. Good luck and keep us posted.
[notify]
Ollivander

Super Silver- Service Spoodle

Barked: Wed Jan 20, '10 6:06pm PST 
Yay! More poodle service dogs! I can't wait to see your pup in March!

I've not raised a lab, but poodle pups are full of energy, very fun loving, and smart. I've had a lot of fun with Ollie, hope you enjoy your pup!
[notify]
Hoover SDIT

you call this- work?!

Barked: Fri Jan 22, '10 5:14pm PST 
Thanks Ollie I am super excited about it. I am actually getting it the week of February 22 now! The main reason I asked for a poodle this time instead of a labrador (I have raised 2 labs) is because I have mild dog allergies that seem to be getting worse. I am hoping that the poodle will be better for my allergy problems. They have gotten so bad that I can't even get down in the floor and play with Hoover because I break out all over from touching him frown I want to be able to play with my poodle pup.
[notify]
Flip, CGC

I like to move- it move it!

Barked: Sat Feb 27, '10 8:06am PST 
Congrats on your soon to be new addition!

I think you'll love a standard poodle, they're great dogs.
The low allergy thing is a godsend and they are very intelligent.

Keep us posted!
[notify]
Crystal

who are you- calling a prissy- pants?

Barked: Sat Mar 6, '10 10:50am PST 
I actually already go Crystal! I have had her for 2 weeks now, and she is a complete doll. We are currently battling a UTI that she came down from NY with apparently, so that is frustrating, but she is just a complete joy so far.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2