GO!

Standards in apartments? Tips anyone?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Kodie

U have no toy to- throw? Ill get- you one!

Barked: Wed Sep 16, '09 11:43am PST 
So I have a standard poodle and a bichon right now, and although they are both very accustomed to living in a home with an outdoor space, I want them to be able to live with me in a large apartment. They are living with my parents this year because I moved to a large city for law school, but my hope is that by this summer they will make the cross country journey and join me in city life.
Now my standard is seven years old right now, and I have had him for about a year and half, and its him I am most worried about making the transition with.
Does anyone have an tips for keeping S'poo's happy in city life? Or if you have them in the city and they are fine, how often do you get them out, and do you have any tips on keeping them happy?
I know this is pretty non specific but I am new to keeping dog in an apartment.
Oh, and do most dogs ned to be trained to urinate in side walk planters and such? It seems like that would not come intuitively to a dog used to having outdoor space and just being let out when they need to go.
Thanks for all tip and suggestions!
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Wed Sep 16, '09 4:19pm PST 
I dont have a standard poodle (yet bol) but I am a firm believer that if someone is committed to doing what their dogs need, most breeds can fit it anywhere ( possible exceptions being extremely active dogs, eg bBorder's Collie and ACD's in small spaces or huge dogs in a one bedroom apt) . I live in a duplex downtown in a small city. I dont have much of a yard, but live 2 minute walk from a park where I bring my dogs often. My small/medium dog has a kennel outside for his business. He also goes quite easily on every tree and pole on our walks bol. The other ( Chi ) uses litter box but she will pee while out on her free run walk ( long lead). If you were used to just letting her out into the yard for pee and excercise, you will have to get used to more walks big grin What was her routine with you before?
[notify]
Sambo Boy

Sambo..Baby Boy!

Barked: Thu Sep 17, '09 3:43am PST 
I own two standard poodles. One is just a pup, however, I can tell each dog is so different. My two year old goes outside just enough to his business and or check out something that another one of my dogs is barking at. My new pup already enjoys outside much more.

Your standard is 7, so would not need as much romping time as a younger dog. I believe as long as you take her/him for a walk daily and give lots of love it will be fine.
[notify]

Kodie

Barked: Thu Sep 17, '09 10:00am PST 
Well their routine with my parents right is that they go out whenever they want. My standard likes to sunbathe so he probably goes out every one to two hours as he pleases. (Parents are retired. So it is easy) They also go to the park daily for off leash time, where my standard does tennis ball fetching with a chuck-it for a good half hour. So he is actually pretty active physically.
It seems that city dogs are less outdoor active though, and the ones I see are only outside for potty breaks.
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Thu Sep 17, '09 1:42pm PST 
Maybe some are but mine arent just out for potty breaks. wink Bunny goes for 45 minutes to an hour combined off leash in confined area and walk. He is also outside in his kennel ( not convient for you in apt I realize) for about15 minutes ( 5 min , 3 times a day) . Princess (Chi) goes for an about an hour combined bike ride ( in my bike basket) and walk. If you can get an apt near some green space you can keep up the routine walking and ball fetching and do some short walks for potty breaksbig grin As for her sunbathing , if you have a southfacing window she can sunbathe inside ( Princess does on our sunporch) . I understand New York is a very doggie city with lots of apts , if they can do it, we can too wink
[notify]
Chloe

Perfect isn't- easy but it's- MeeEEEeee!!!

Barked: Sun Sep 27, '09 7:11am PST 
I recently made the same transition with my standard and she seems to be doing very well. She gets walked twice a day. We've had no problems. I think dogs are very adaptable in that sense just make sure he/she gets a walk a few times a day : )
[notify]
Kodie

Barked: Sun Sep 27, '09 12:49pm PST 
Really, just twice a day! Good to know. Twice a day I can handle easily, since I was thinking somewhere around 6 times a day would be needed.
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Fri Oct 2, '09 3:23pm PST 
Well if y0u are talking potty walks, 2 might not be enough, but excercise wise if the other poster has SP she would know lol. I let my dog ( mutt ) out 3 times to do his business ( in his run) and one long excercise walk smile So if you want to do 2 short potty walks and 2 long excercise walks, that sounds good. big grin
[notify]