GO!

Uglies? Undercoat?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Coco

My heroine is- Coco Chanel. - She gets it.

Barked: Sat Jun 23, '12 11:51am PST 
My pom Coco is 14 weeks old. I accepted her as a gift from my daughter who bought her from an elderly couple on a farm, so I'm sure she isn't a great quality, but my daughter said her parents had beautiful fluffy coat. However, her parents were also supposed to weigh 4 pounds each, and Coco already weighs 3 pounds so it wouldn't surprise me of Coco ended up being a big fat pom with a flat coat, haha. I have tried reading up about the uglies, but unless you have bred puppies, which I never have and never will, I thin it's too hard to understand, so could someone with knowledge please look at these pictures and answer these questions:

http://s5.photobucket.com/profile/Ad3650

(Click "My furbabies" and look at pictures 1and 2)

1. In the first picture, you can see Coco from the side. Does it look like she is going through the uglies? Or is it something else? Also, any votes on what color she'll be? Her papers (which aren't AKC btw) say "wolf cream" which I'm sure isn't even a real color!

2. In the second picture, I am splaying out the hair on her back where it is the most sparse (the long white line is my finger). Is that what she is losing? Or is that what is growing in? It is fuzzy and dense, and it feels like an African-American child's hair or maybe a very soft, dense carpet. Is that undercoat? Because I thought that's what she would be losing during the uglies, but that seems to be all that she has left!

Any information would be great.

http://youtu.be/KuTcHu7G1cE

Edited by author Sat Jun 23, '12 12:04pm PST

[notify]
Coco

Barked: Sat Jun 23, '12 11:52am PST 
Also, the link to the youtube video is just to show how smart she is, ugly or not. smile

Edited by author Sat Jun 23, '12 12:04pm PST

[notify]
Saige

I wag my butt!

Barked: Sat Jun 23, '12 6:02pm PST 
Congratulations on your new puppy! She's so cute cloud 9 You're right, wolf cream is definitely not a color (and she's neither cream nor wolf sable, two real colors). Right now she looks red sable, but I'd bet that the sabling will go away after she loses the rest of her puppy coat, and she ends up as red. She looks a lot like Saige did as a puppy. You can go back through some of her old pics on her profile if you want to see the progression.

She's definitely in the uglies right now. I think it's really hard to look at the coat and say what's being shed and what's new growth at this point. By the time she's around 7 months old you should have a pretty good idea of how she's going to look as an adult, but she'll be 2-3 years old before she really has a nice, full coat. She looks like her coat is around the same quality as Saige's (a rescue). Her color is breathtaking, her coat is shiny and healthy, but it is flat - nothing at all like a show Pom.

According to the Pomeranian Growth Chart (http://www.pomeranian.org/growth) she will definitely be larger than her parents. It looks like she'll be around 5.5 pounds full grown, so still a small girl.
[notify]

Pidgeon

You can call me- Poof

Barked: Mon Jun 25, '12 12:36am PST 
I completely agree with Saige, although when you pup goes through the uglies she is able to go two different routs. It is possible her coat will either darken or lighten up resulting in either a red or orange color. And it is possible her sabling will darken or completely go away. So you could have a red or orange, or a red sable or orange sable. It's too early to tell!

Either way, she is completely adorable!! Congrats!

Edited by author Mon Jun 25, '12 12:37am PST

[notify]
Coco

Barked: Mon Jun 25, '12 11:14am PST 
Thank you both! Saige is beautiful, and your pictures really made me want to take a lot of different photos of Coco. I take mostly pictures in the living room, but the pictures outdoors really emphasized the vivid coat she has! And Pidgeon is totally different looking than Coco ever was...what a ball of fluff! Honestly, until a few months ago, when someone said Pomeranian, I visualized a Pekinese, so I have been learning a lot. smile

I honestly never wanted a Pomeranian, but my daughter (19, in college) bought her and then had a meltdown because she had forgotten how time consuming puppies are, so I accepted her as a Mother's Day gift. I must admit, I'm smitten. smile

I thought this stage was probably the uglies, but she does have a weird seemingly balding patch on her back, so I was a bit concerned. I still am confused on how to recognize an undercoat by looking at her, but I suppose it will just add to the fun to see how she turns out!

While I'm here, are there any other Pomeranian forums you guys frequent? I have a lot to learn.
[notify]
Saige

I wag my butt!

Barked: Mon Jun 25, '12 1:12pm PST 
Aww thanks! I've all but stopped taking pictures of my Poms inside. I find that I'm rarely satisfied with the lighting, no matter what I try to make it better. My dogs have definitely inspired me to improve my photography skills, and I sure have a lot left to learn.

It's pretty hard on a puppy (especially in the uglies) to tell what's what in their coat since it's so sparse. The undercoat will be more soft and crinkly, and likely a bit lighter in color. The guard hairs will be straight and a bit thicker.

I don't think I've found another Pomeranian forum that's all that active. I'll visit the various forums around dogster for general questions, and otherwise scour the internet for what I'm looking for. Are you on facebook? There are quite a few Pomeranian groups on there that can be really helpful if you have questions.

I think a lot of the fun of a Pom puppy is to see how they'll turn out looking as adults. It's amazing how much they change from the tiny fluff balls that they are in the beginning.
[notify]
Loki

It's all about- the love

Barked: Mon Jun 25, '12 2:35pm PST 
The uglies can be pretty scary to go through the first time. Angus wasn't so bad he was really thin on his chest but the rest of him just looked like he has short fur. Loki on the other hand I seriously thought had the mange or something. He looked terrible. He had so many bald spots. I will post his pic again because I've never seen another pom with uglies this bad.Loki
This next pic is his coat now not a great pic,
LOki

You just can't tell what their coat will be. He had the worse uglies but now has the fullest coat.
[notify]
Elegance- Ruff Tuff- Cream Puff

Barked: Fri Jul 13, '12 1:17pm PST 
Yes that is the uglies. My male Pom Tuff went through it. When i got him he was cute and fluffy then the uglies happened. So what i did was take him down to the groomer and had him shaved. I hear the coat will come back thicker when you do that. His coat is starting to come back fluffy now but i may shave him once more since it is a very hot summer here in Tn. If you click my profile you can see his puppy picture, His shaved picture and the one of him standing there on a grooming table was taken yesterday. Tho he needs to be combed in that one.
[notify]
Coco

Barked: Sat Oct 20, '12 6:20pm PST 
Everyone was so helpful in this thread and I thought someone might bump into it later and wonder how it all turned out, so here's a picture of Coco now. She is 6 months and 2 weeks old and was spayed about 10 days ago. It seems that her coat is a lot prettier now, though still pretty scraggly on her head.

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y193/Ad3650/Furbabies/?act ion=view¤t=IMG_6375_2.jpg#!oZZ2QQcurrentZZhttp%3A%2F%2Fs5.phot obucket.com%2Falbums%2Fy193%2FAd3650%2FFurbabies%2F%3Faction%3Dview% 26current%3DIMG_6375_2.jpg

Edited by author Sat Oct 20, '12 6:26pm PST

[notify]
Cam

Birthday Boy

Barked: Mon Oct 22, '12 12:09am PST 
Cute, she's small. Her coat is coming in good. Wait until she's like 8 months you will be amazed how much they change. My boy was a late bloomer. You really couldn't see his best change until he was like 1 years old.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2