GO!

Pomeranian flat long hair?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Tito

Barked: Thu Jun 4, '09 2:18pm PST 
I am having a similar problem as someone else earlier had posted. My dog's hair isn't fluffy. As a pup he had a fuller look to him but now his hair is so long that even when I try to comb it the opposite way on his back it comes forward and covers his face, flat! Is there anything I can do to give him a fluffier fuller look? Will a professional grooming help? A haircut maybe?
[notify]
Remy

I hate sweaters

Barked: Thu Jun 4, '09 4:53pm PST 
I think Remy will have a similar coat. He's 9 mo. and his butt & frill are getting very fluffy, but everything in between is pretty flat.
[notify]
Jasmine

The Instigator

Barked: Sun Jun 7, '09 1:36pm PST 
Not sure what causes that but it might have to do with their parents.

Jasmine's mother has a long flat coat where her father is very puffy and thick.

I actually like the long flat look, but it doesn't matter to me much, Jasmine will look beautiful when her adult fur comes in.
[notify]

Katie

Daddy's girl

Barked: Mon Jun 8, '09 8:36am PST 
Hey Tito, I think you're soooo pretty just like you are! smile

You seem to have fur like most of my babies do, long and flat. Tito may get a bit fluffier, the coat takes 2 years to come in.

On of my poms, Bear, had pretty flat hair for about a year and then the 2nd year came and now he's almost a ball of fur with legs! (Not like the show dogs though).

Bodhi just posted a new thread about this as well. As long as Tito is happy & healthy that is all that matters. People will still fall in love with him, no doubt!
[notify]
Aleister- Crowley- Carpathius

Lil Guy.., Huge- Heart

Barked: Thu Apr 4, '13 10:59am PST 
Hmmm.., it does take 2 years for pomeranians to develop long coats.., and those show dogs usually use "hair spray"... Anyways.., Crow here he has a flat back coat but you could "poof him out" and the fur will stay... He is 5... And I would never suggest cutting a poms fur.., I have heard horror stories.., a trim yes but never a hair cut! I heard one Pom never grew the fur back to the full length... I also prefer the flat coat as opposed to a giant fuzz ball! I already get looks walking Crow as it is lol I couldn't imagine him being anything but the way he is!
[notify]
Lilly

Poop Eater

Barked: Wed Apr 24, '13 9:31pm PST 
My pomeranian looked like that (before I cut her hair). The breeder I got her from wanted to show her, but she never developed a thick enough undercoat so he couldn't!
[notify]
Coco

My heroine is- Coco Chanel. - She gets it.

Barked: Thu Apr 25, '13 12:13pm PST 
I had gone back and forth over this question in my mind, wondering vaguely if Coco was as full coated as other poms, whether she was as pretty, etc....and then today my daughter picked up a stray male pom, and all my questions were answered: Coco is definitely ugly! smile He is an intact male, so maybe he's a beautiful champion used for breeding or something which would explain his beautiful coat and his flatter little face and his perfectly shaped round head, but I suspect no, he is just a normal fluffy pom and she is a poorly bred stringy haired, beaky pom. It doesn't surprise me really from what my daughter told me of the breeder she got her from, but honestly, she is so tiny I thought we might have just gotten lucky, but he is definitely a few pounds bigger than she is and it just seems to make him look even better. But oh well, Coco is a cute little spayed pet, and we love her. smile

Coco and her favorite toy
[notify]