Postings by Quentin Flagg

GO!

(Page 1 of 33: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Dog Health > Worst thing your dog has ever eaten?
Quentin- Flagg

King Q - king of clown- town

Barked: Thu Nov 10, '11 7:24am PST 
We had a dog years ago, a Staffordshire Terrier, who ate several beer cans. We didn't even know until he pooped out pieces of aluminum can. That dog must have had an iron gut because it didn't seem to do him any harm. We don't know how he got away with it; it should have messed up his intestines, but he was fine. shrug
[notify]
» There has since been 62 posts. Last posting by , Oct 9 10:07 am

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > My Angel, please read
Quentin- Flagg

Barked: Sat Nov 5, '11 9:35am PST 
I think Angel is beautiful. Bless you and Kimi for saving her. I'm sure Angel is a blessing in your life.little angel
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Mr. Pibbs *CGC*, Nov 6 11:08 am

Grooming > Soot and fur...

Quentin- Flagg

Barked: Thu Oct 6, '11 7:03am PST 
I would try Dawn dish soap. It works great on anything greasy, and soot has kind of a greasiness to it.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Oct 8 6:02 am

Behavior & Training > Training my Dog Not to Hate the Vet

Quentin- Flagg

Barked: Sat Sep 17, '11 8:26am PST 
Sometimes I wish we still had our old girl with us (she passed before we got Q) because she was so sweet and stoic. She could have taught him a lot about life. She was just so stable and rock solid. Nothing phased her ever. It would have been good to be able to take them to the vet together as you do with your dogs Squ'mey.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Rexy, Sep 17 9:27 am

Quentin- Flagg

Barked: Sat Sep 17, '11 8:21am PST 
Q will gladly take treats from anyone. He is very food motivated and pays close attention to people who have food. Our vet feeds him baby food and heartgard treats and he loves those, but as soon as she tries to touch him it's a no go. He will take treats all day long though.shrug Silly dog!
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Rexy, Sep 17 9:27 am

Quentin- Flagg

Barked: Sat Sep 17, '11 7:56am PST 
Thanks for the response Titus. This has been a real problem. I don't think Quentin has ever had a good exam. The vet can barely look at him let alone handle him. He's never had his temp taken or anything.

I'm thinking he was traumatized at 8 weeks when the shelter took him to his first vet appointment and had him neutered at that time. Although he doesn't like anyone really touching him, so maybe that's all it is. I just hope we never have to hospitalize him for any reason because it would be a nightmare for him.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Rexy, Sep 17 9:27 am

Quentin- Flagg

Barked: Fri Sep 16, '11 7:14am PST 
Hello Dogsters,

My Quentin has always hated the vet. Even as a tiny puppy he has avoided letting others touch him, and that is a real problem at the vet. He absolutely cannot abide people wanting to handle him. This has gotten to the point where we hate taking him to the vet because he has to be muzzled and held down by no less than 3 people. He snaps, and wiggles, and squirms and just generally fights the whole time. I've noticed that his anxiety level escalates as soon as we get in the door of the office. He begins to shake and try to get away and acts very panicked out while we are still in the waiting area.

We are thinking about taking him in there and just finding a quietish corner and sitting with him until he calms down and then leaving. I know that may not help the underlying issue, but if we can just teach him that it's not so scary and nothing bad is going to happen to him maybe it will lessen his anxiety. We are planning on just sitting in the waiting room and basically ignoring him while he freaks out and rewarding him when he calms down by leaving. I don't know how long we will have to sit there; could be an hour or longer. Whatever it takes. I just really hate that he is so terrified of the vet and would like to make it easier on him by teaching him that it's not all bad.

Does anybody have any additional suggestions for lessening his anxiety level at the vet? I would hate for something to happen to him and him have to be hospitalized and for him to just get sicker because he is in such a state of panic.

Thanks folks.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Rexy, Sep 17 9:27 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Specific Temperament Trait

Quentin- Flagg

Barked: Wed Aug 31, '11 7:14am PST 
I, too, believe that is a "nature" (versus "nurture") personality trait. When Q was a pup, I thought he was so wierd, because even at 8 weeks he had no interest in meeting people. Others would come up to him with their kissy faces and petting hands and he would sniff them and then promptly try to avoid them. He is still like that. Just very suspicious of strangers. It was hard to get used to, as I'd never seen a puppy behave like that. No wagging, jumping, "hey let's be friends" attitude. Just aloofness and avoidance. He's super lovey with us though. It's like he has to save all his loving for us only and nobody else is worth his time. I actually like that about him. He is a mixed breed, possibly German Shepherd/Collie/Sighthound.

And Harlow, your description of Dals always makes me want one. My hubby had one a long time ago and he said Pongo was very aloof with strangers too. He'd go sit on the stair landing when people came over and wait there until they left. BOL
[notify]
» There has since been 25 posts. Last posting by , Sep 3 10:20 pm

Senior Dogs > The positives of senior dogs.

Quentin- Flagg

Barked: Sat Aug 6, '11 7:49am PST 
Senior dogs are awesome. I love how you can totally trust them. My girl Angel would just hang out no matter where we were. We could have all the doors open and she'd be out front laying in the driveway just soaking up sun. When we went camping and stuff we could always trust her to stick around without really even having to watch her that closely. I love how mellow and sweet they are. Just quiet and totally chill.
[notify]
» There has since been 27 posts. Last posting by Daddy, Mar 10 7:35 pm

Dog Laws & Legislation > Dangerous dog, or anti-pit bull bias?
Quentin- Flagg

Barked: Wed Jul 27, '11 7:57am PST 
That dog displayed absolutely no aggression whatsoever. It didn't even stiffen up at the hand in the bowl test; not even a little bit. What the heck were these people thinking? That dog is a very good girl and it would be a shame if she's euthanized. I didn't see a snarl, a lick lip, a stiffening up, or a bite anywhere in that. Maybe a little avoidance, but that's a good thing for a dog to do when faced with an uncertain situation, and she only did it when that weird doll was crowding her. She didn't look scared or aggressive at all.
[notify]
» There has since been 35 posts. Last posting by Augusta, CGC, RN, Aug 11 10:03 pm

(Page 1 of 33: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.