Postings by Lola Penelope

GO!

(Page 1 of 51: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Dog Health > Lola Bear going into surgery today... good energy/prayers requested
Lola- Penelope

If you have- food, I looovvee- youuuuu!

Barked: Thu Dec 19, '13 6:55am PST 
Lola has an appointment with the last surgeon (the one that said not her knee, but her right hip that is the problem), for further observation, this morning. Tomorrow, I am taking her to the special-ist that said it was her knee, for a recheck, because I called and complained.
On the phone, the special-ist explained why she diagnosed her with a ACL tear, saying she felt slight drawer movement and thickening of the knee, and what probably happened was it stabilized on its own.
Hopefully, I will have more clear answers tomorrow.
Thanks for all your concerns and support.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Scooter, PAWS , Dec 19 8:28 am

Dog Health > Lola Bear going into surgery today... good energy/prayers requested
Lola- Penelope

Barked: Sun Dec 15, '13 6:58am PST 
So all your prayers worked, because she didn't need surgery on her knee after all! She got ready, and they did her xrays before the surgery to find out it isn't her knee after all, but her right hip.
Although I am happy her knee is healthy, and no surgery necessary, I am upset that it took two vets (first one said her left hip was the problem) and two surgeons (last one was the one going to do surgery and said its her right hip)to get the correct info.
I really don't know who to trust any more. I've always felt, in my gut it was the right hip, as I always felt it was her hips that were bad, and I knew it was her right leg.
We are going to meet with the latest surgeon on Thursday, after getting Lola nice and sore, so he can see how she moves. We are going to give her physical therapy to strengthen her muscles in her hips/legs, and put her on vitamins and meds to help with the lubrication and discomfort.
So the first vet had it right, except that the xrays must have been reversed, and they diagnosed the wrong hip. Frustrates me that the orthopedic surgeon got it totally wrong. It's a training hospital, and i wonder if she was an intern let lose or something.
This last set of xrays were very clear, and I could see how the right hip didn't sit in the socket right, and how both knees looked strong. 2nd surgeon also said he did not feel any drawer movement in knee.
Thanks again for your prayers and good energy sent to Lola.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Scooter, PAWS , Dec 19 8:28 am

Lola- Penelope

Barked: Fri Dec 13, '13 6:37am PST 
Only a few people in my 3D life understand how important this dog is to me, so I am reaching out to you all for some good healing energy and prayers for my heart dog.
She is having TPLO surgery on her knee, and will stay over night at the hospital.
Thank you all for this.
Becky
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Scooter, PAWS , Dec 19 8:28 am

Dog Health > Torn CCL (ACL)

Lola- Penelope

Barked: Tue Dec 3, '13 7:46am PST 
At first she was diagnosed with severe hip displasia from a cheap vet that wanted to do surgery. Thanks to a call for help here, and a suggestion to get a second (and third) opinion, we found out by a orthopedic special-ist (why is this word forbidden to use on dogster???), and Lola's original vet (not the cheap vet), that her main problem is a torn ACL in her right knee.
The xrays that showed hip displasia is bad, because she isn't laying straight, so they will do x-rays when she has surgery on her knee. Both, the 2nd and 3rd vets said that her hips do not seem to bother her, but her knee is the problem.
So, we are going to have an expensive, but needed surgery on her knee frown
I have many concerns about this. One is the recovery time, and how to keep her as immobile as possible for 8 weeks. Even though she is a low energy dog, she still is going to be difficult. I am hoping for suggestions to keep her happy... or at least not go crazy with boredom.
Also, she has been a spoiled dog, allowed on the furniture, and the bed. Been trying to break this habit. She now sleeps on her bed, but gets up in the middle of the night and goes to the couch. I even got her a memory foam bed, but she still goes to the couch!!
Also, even though she doesn't mind the crate (we brought it back out) she gets really excited when we come home, and I am afraid this might hurt her when she is recovering.
One more thing... can anyone suggest what I can do to help her NOT injure her other knee as she recovers? We are getting a loan from my father-in-law for this surgery, and having a second surgery on her other leg will be even more difficult. Was told there is a 20-30% chance of this happening frown
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Flicka ~ CGC, Dec 8 8:58 pm

Dog Health > hip dysplasia

Lola- Penelope

Barked: Tue Nov 26, '13 7:20am PST 
So I am really pissed right now. The first vet, the one that diagnosed her with severe hip displasia, was an idiot. The second vet said they weren't very good x-rays, as she was tilted. She said that her hips look fine but second xrays is suggested. This vets concern is Lola's right knee, as it shows signs if a torn CCL (I think that is right, like the ACL in people). She said that it may heal, but it will become re injured eventually to where she may need surgery. We are going to do physical therapy and meds to see if that will help, because she only has a slight limp some of the time. She does have some arthritis in this knee too. I knew something wasn't right, with the diagnoses of hip displasia was in the left hip, that it was wrong because it is the right leg she babies.
This second vet is consider the best vet in orthopedics in Colorado (CSU was also mentioned) so I have more faith in these doctors, but I am still really confused.
I've been taking my pets to a cheaper vet this last year, since i have fallen on tight times with money. I will never take them back there. I feel like an idiot right now. I should trust my instincts, and I'm going back to the vet that Lola grew up going too. Lola is my pride and joy, and i want her to live a long life with as little pain as possible.
Thank you all for your responses. Good news no hip displasia, although the knee is not a good diagnoses either.
Now the question is when is surgery the best option for Lola. I really hope that physical therapy will help and she will never need the surgery.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Sabi, Nov 26 10:55 am

Lola- Penelope

Barked: Sun Nov 24, '13 7:20am PST 
Thanks Sabi. Now that I've had a few days to think and research, Im thinking that maybe surgery might not be the best option, not now anyway. We are going for a second opinion tomorrow.
Her mobility is pretty good. It's just after her walks, play and when she first wakes up that it really seems to bother her.
She is a pretty "lazy" dog, and I wonder if this is why sometimes. As for keeping her inactive for 2 months time... well that would be difficult, but doable, because she is a mellow dog. Not fun though. If we opt for surgery will probably do it in the summer, as I will be home most of the time.
Got plenty of time to figure it out.
One thing the vet said that made me believe it was important to do it soon was that he is concerned her hip would pop out of socket. So... I guess that will be a question for the vet tomorrow.
Thanks all.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Sabi, Nov 26 10:55 am

Lola- Penelope

Barked: Thu Nov 21, '13 7:29am PST 
thank you Koby. I think I miss understood my vet... or really I don't think he was clear. He pretty much just talked about the darthoplasty and briefly mention the other option, which he didn't name. All I remember is he said that the would break her hip in three different places. After that I think my shock kept me from hearing any more on that option.
I am going to get a second opinion from a vet hospital that specializes in orthopedics. I have a friend who is a vet tech and her pittie has the same issue. She suggested this vet and told me that darthoplasty is not a good option. So I will be writing all my questions and concerns for the second opinion.
Thanks for responding.
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Sabi, Nov 26 10:55 am

Lola- Penelope

Barked: Wed Nov 20, '13 2:13pm PST 
Lola has just been diagnosed with severe hip dysplasia. Talked with the vet on phone and he talked about two different surgeries. One is a hip replacement, the other is called Darthoplasty. Does anyone know, or have had their dog have either of these surgeries? Other than price, is one more successful than the other?
Worried mamacry
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by Sabi, Nov 26 10:55 am

Dog Laws & Legislation > Another Dog Shooting :(

Lola- Penelope

Barked: Fri Dec 21, '12 7:49am PST 
Felony charges of animal cruelty for officer who shot this dog. I really hope he gets convicted, then hopefully this will be a warning, and police officers will be trained on how to handle dogs. Not sure if you all know but Commerce City is a suburb of Denver; actually many people think it is part of Denver.
http://www.denverpost.com/ci_22232708/officer-charged-comme rce-city-dog-shooting/?utm_medium=facebook
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Turner - Gone Too Soon, Dec 22 9:33 pm

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > looking for a poem about losing a dog
Lola- Penelope

Barked: Thu Nov 29, '12 7:30pm PST 
this poem says something about how when we get a puppy how it drives us crazy with its naughtiness, and as a adolescent it tests us, as an adult it ??? and once it passes we know we would go through it all again due to the love it gave us.
I cannot remember the poem, but want to send it to a friend who just lost her dog. I am worried about her, this dog was her world, as ours are our world to us.
If anyone can remember a poem like this please post.
Thx
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Alice, Dec 16 2:31 pm

(Page 1 of 51: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.