Postings by Koala

GO!

(Page 1 of 8: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  

Food & Nutrition > Vet said Prescription Science Diet is better than Orijen?
Koala

the Alaberian- Malamusky

Barked: Sat Jun 27, '09 4:17pm PST 
It really bothers me that many veterinarians don't bother to think critically about nutrition and the huge role it plays in animal heatlh and wellness. My s/o had a golden that needed to lose weight. The vet put him on reduced calorie Science Diet. He lost weight alright, and was dead within six months from cancer. I can't of course definitively link the two, but I think anyone reading the ingredients in foods like Science Diet can see that there is a serious problem. Unfortunately most people think if their vet recommends it, it must be good! In any profession, including both human and animal doctors, there are smart, knowledgeable people and complete idiots. Just because they have a M.D. after their name doesn't make them infallible, or even knowledgeable!

I do have a very good vet who supports feeding higher quality food, and supports my rotation of Solid Gold and Wellness combined with homecooked, but even their office sells the same Science Diet crap, although she's never tried to push it on me. She probably just knows better. smile
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Millie/Drake, Jul 10 3:31 pm

Food & Nutrition > Wellness Food Question
Koala

the Alaberian- Malamusky

Barked: Tue Jun 23, '09 12:14pm PST 
Yeah, I'd switch to both Wellness dry and wet over Merrick. The other food I like is Solid Gold, and Orijen (which unfortunately I can't get here). In the Wellness line, the 95% cans are good toppers, especially for picky eaters, but the rest of the Wellness line of cans are good for every day feeding, and the Wellness Core line is, as the previous poster said, grain-free. The only thing I found is my dogs don't really like the Wellness all that much, except the 95% cans. They prefer the Solid Gold kibble.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Peter Parker, Jun 23 4:05 pm

Food & Nutrition > Our new husky won't eat on his own

Koala

the Alaberian- Malamusky

Barked: Sat Jun 20, '09 3:11pm PST 
I actually believe it or not have had very picky Mals! My now 7-month old (primarily) Siberian was also very picky, although lately (he just turned 7 months), he's been much more agreeable to just about any food. He really enjoyed my blueberry muffins this morning smile. I agree about keeping the vet in the loop, it sounds like it could very well be health-related. In the meantime, keep trying lots of different things. Hand feed him when he's on your lap, you're probably going to do best with diferent kinds of kibble and wet food topped with some really tasty roasted meats. My Sibe liked the Solid Gold Wolfcub kibble pretty much from the beginning, but was much more interested when we soaked it in roasted chicken juice. My dogs have tended not to like raw, but I think it's a great choice if your dog seems interested in that. Most Sibes (and Mals) love scrambled eggs. Don't worry about "spoiling" him, this is a very important health issue, and whatever he seems interested in (within reason of course), you should feed him! But it would be a good idea to find his "must-haves" and mix it with an appropriate large breed kibble or canned unless you're experienced and knowledgeable, or can find someone on this forum (there are lots of them!) who can tell you about how to create the right nutritonal balance for a large breed puppy from a completely raw or homecooked plan.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Koala, Jun 20 3:11 pm

Food & Nutrition > Solid Gold Hund-N-Flocken

Koala

the Alaberian- Malamusky

Barked: Sat Jun 20, '09 3:02pm PST 
Solid Gold is an excellent line, and the added bonus is most dogs tend to like it. My picky Siberian likes the WolfCub as much as he likes any kibble (which isn't that much). I tend to cook a lot of his food, but supplement with Solid Gold and Wellness kibble and Wellness canned.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Misty, Jun 21 9:28 pm

Food & Nutrition > Best Kibble for Mastiff Puppies?

Koala

the Alaberian- Malamusky

Barked: Sat Jun 20, '09 2:59pm PST 
All the foods suggested are excellent, and I would rotate if I were you. Prevents boredom, and I think just like with people, a varied, high-quality diet is preferable for dogs. If you start rotating when they're young they're also less likely to be sensitive to food changes, so if your store runs out of one food one day, you don't have to worry about switching it out. I primarily use Solid Gold Wolfcub and Wellness Large Breed for my large breed pups, unfortunately I can't get Orijen here.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Posh, Jun 24 5:05 pm

Food & Nutrition > So You Are Confused By Dog Food
Koala

the Alaberian- Malamusky

Barked: Sat Jun 20, '09 2:56pm PST 
I have to admit my dog doesn't like the canned green tripe I bought. I'm kind of glad because it smells disgusting. He wouldn't go anywhere near his bowl when I put some in it, and glared at me disapprovingly for some time after...I now have six cans of it sitting around I think I'll donate to the humane society.
[notify]
» There has since been 530 posts. Last posting by Buddy, Aug 15 11:18 am

Food & Nutrition > Addiction Foods?

Koala

the Alaberian- Malamusky

Barked: Sat Jun 20, '09 1:33pm PST 
Anybody here feed Addiction brand food? They make a raw dehydrated, dry, and wet line. It looks pretty good. Ingredients like kangaroo, venison, salmon. Low or no grain. All the standard "nos" (byproducts, artifical stuff). Some of the dry food line is a little troublesome in that the primary ingredient is a meal, with no other named meat products until pretty far down the list, but other products look really strong, like the salmon dry, and all of the canned food, which is grain-free, except for the eel (!) and seaweed cans. Looks like it's available at a very few speciality stores in the U.S., but you can buy it online.
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Tucker, CGC, TDI, Jul 1 4:08 pm

Food & Nutrition > So You Are Confused By Dog Food

Koala

the Alaberian- Malamusky

Barked: Sat Jun 20, '09 12:17pm PST 
Royal Canin is not a good dog food. Insufficient meat content, contains soy, a lot of the major no-nos.

To the previous poster whose dogs aren't crazy about EVO, I've found for picky eaters that putting them on a rotation diet keeps them interested in their food. Just buy a few of your favorites and switch them every few days. Also as toppers I just keep around roasted chicken, poached salmon and the like and throw some on top. In cans, I like the Wellness 95% line (basically just cans of pure salmon, chicken and turkey cooked in the can).
[notify]
» There has since been 532 posts. Last posting by Buddy, Aug 15 11:18 am

Food & Nutrition > Confused about food....where do you guys find this stuff?

Koala

the Alaberian- Malamusky

Barked: Mon Jun 8, '09 1:43am PST 
Nutro is not a good food and shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath with several of the other foods you mention. As others have said, Petco should provide you with a decent variety of premium foods such as Solid Gold, Halo, Natural Balance, etc.
[notify]
» There has since been 17 posts. Last posting by Max, Jun 25 11:20 pm

Food & Nutrition > How long did you feed puppy food?
Koala

the Alaberian- Malamusky

Barked: Mon Jun 8, '09 1:42am PST 
I really disagree with the idea that a large breed pup should be taken off puppy food early...quite the opposite! And most so-called "ALS" foods are not in fact appropriate, particularly for large breed puppies. Most large breed puppies should be kept on a large breed puppy food for at least a year, preferably longer. The reason is that large breed puppy foods are specifically formulated to grow a puppy slooowly, with the right calicum and phosphorous levels and ratios, so that puppy doesn't develop hip and joint problems as an adult. High quality large breed puppy foods also are careful with their DHA levels, and maintaining the right caloric intake.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Koala, Jun 8 1:42 am

(Page 1 of 8: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.