Postings by Ricky

GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Dog Health > Xylitol poisoning question! Please help!
Ricky

Barked: Mon Jan 5, '09 2:21pm PST 
He is drinking fine and gums are pink.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Brutus, Jan 5 5:28 pm

Dog Health > Xylitol poisoning question! Please help!
Ricky

Barked: Mon Jan 5, '09 1:52pm PST 
My dog Ricky ate an entire package of Orbit gum on Saturday night. Luckily we caught him in the act and immediately put him in the tub and gave him 1/4 of a bottle of hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting. Within 5 minutes of the entire ordeal he vomited up the gum and wrappers. After that he acted completely normal. He ate dinner that night, and ate fine the next day (sunday). I even took him on our normal run Sunday afternoon and he did fine. However, this morning he vomited and wouldn't eat his breakfast. He is not having any loose stool but does seem like he still doesn't feel good. I was wondering if this could have something to do with the gum or not. He ate exactly 12 pieces of the gum, and each piece of gum has only 0.3-0.4 g/piece of xylitol. Therefore, according to http://www.kbvetcenter.com/toxicity_bubblegum.asp Ricky would have to have eaten at least 18 pieces to be toxic. I counted the pieces that he threw up and all were accounted for except for 2 which seemed to have been chewed up into tiny white pieces.

I have an appointment to get his bloodwork run tomorrow but wanted to see if anyone had been through this before or had any information for me. Ricky weighs 75 pounds by the way. I really wouldn't worry so much since he threw the gum up, but he ALWAYS eats and his lack of appetite worries me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Brutus, Jan 5 5:28 pm

Dog Health > Can't stop itching!

Ricky

Barked: Sun Dec 7, '08 10:00am PST 
We are in the same boat! We got our dog Ricky in March and found out that he has terrible allergies all year round, however, they have gotten a lot worse over the last month. Turns out it is because of the weather (leaves falling and rain making mold) and because we just turned our furnace on for the winter and Ricky is allergic to dust mites. Because of this we decided to finally begin his allergy injections (RAST). For you I would start with the fish oils, we switched Ricky to Natural Balance Fish and Sweet Potato and add salmon oil and fish oil treats to his food. If this doesn't help try a moisturizing shampoo. And if all else fails talk to your doctor about allergy testing to see exactly what is making him itchy!!

Itchy dogs can be frustrating when you start to run out of options for your baby so i hope this helps!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Sassy, Dec 7 11:30 am

Dog Health > Itchy dog, any tips?

Ricky

Barked: Tue Dec 2, '08 7:13pm PST 
Thanks for the post about food, but we are set in that department! Plus I have to watch the cost when feeding an 80 pound dog! I can get 28 pounds of Natural Balance at cost through my work which is 33 dollars a bag. My other dogs are on IVET maintenance formula because when they were all eating the natural balance we had spent 350 dollars on dog food in 4 months! With three dogs and two cats to take care of we have to be thrifty while providing the best food possible for all!

And what i meant to say in my previous post is that dogs can survive and thrive on an omnivore diet smile My ricky and many other pets who are on the vegetarian formula diet are doing great! There is a lot of debate out there on the whole carnivore/omnivore thing, but we must all realize that dogs on meat based diets can have many problems as well. You know one of the world's oldest living dogs was a vegan? Her name was Bramble and she lived to be 27 years old being fed lentils, rice and organic vegetables. I also have a friend who's dad feeds their labrador two steaks a day and nothing else and he lived to be 13. So I guess to each his own wink

Here is their website for those who are wondering what ingredients are in this vegetarian food. And just so everyone knows this food was ok'd by my vet ; ) havehttp://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/dogformulas/Vegetarian.html
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Baloo RN CGN, Dec 3 5:24 am

Ricky

Barked: Tue Dec 2, '08 5:07pm PST 
Thanks for the responses everyone! I have started putting salmon oil in his food twice a day and using Vita-Derm itch relief nutritional supplement which has omega 3 and 6 in it. I also started giving him Pet Naturals skin and coat treats. I will keep everyone updated on how he is doing in a week or so.

Thanks again!
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Baloo RN CGN, Dec 3 5:24 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Is my boy an American Bulldog?
Ricky

Barked: Mon Dec 1, '08 5:27pm PST 
I rescued Ricky from an animal hospital where he was abandoned. They told me that he was full blooded American bulldog but someone told me the other day that american bulldogs aren't his color brindle! I'm confused. He looks and acts like one to me so I guess I am just curious as to whether his color matters! Either way he is still my big baby boy! Thanks guys smile

There are pics on his page
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Hershey Bear, Dec 4 3:11 pm

American Bulldog > Is my boy an American bulldog?

Ricky

Barked: Mon Dec 1, '08 4:41pm PST 
I rescued Ricky from an animal hospital where he was abandoned. They told me that he was full blooded American bulldog but someone told me the other day that american bulldogs aren't his color brindle! I'm confused. He looks and acts like one to me so I guess I am just curious as to whether his color matters! Either way he is still my big baby boy! Thanks guys smile

There are pics on his page
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by King Knotthead , Apr 24 11:13 am

Dog Health > Adequan Shots

Ricky

Barked: Mon Dec 1, '08 2:12pm PST 
I had a friend that used adequan injections for her older labrador. She seemed to be very pleased with them, even though I seem to remember that they got costly because she had to do them every month. However, they did make her dog more comfortable! Hope this helps!
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Jenna, Dec 11 6:56 am

Dog Health > Anyone know anything about Skin Eze??

Ricky

Barked: Mon Dec 1, '08 1:24pm PST 
After my last post about allergies I began doing some research online for anything to help Ricky's itching! I found some capsules called Skin-Eze and they sound wonderful, however, I am very skeptical! I found some other forums about the product that have said that it is a miracle pill and began working for their dog in only days. Then I found others that weren't so sure about it. Does anyone on here know anything about this product and if it is worth my time? Thanks guys!!
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Mar 14 11:20 pm

Ricky

Barked: Sun Nov 30, '08 9:27pm PST 
Also, we mix a small amount of Natural Balance fish and sweet potato in with his dry. Since he became "vegetarian" he has gained 6 pounds and is very active!
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Baloo RN CGN, Dec 3 5:24 am

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.