Postings by Jolanda

GO!

(Page 1 of 122: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Service & Therapy Dogs > Service Dog in HOV/carpool lane
Jolanda

I grin from ears- to chin :D

Barked: Fri Jul 5, '13 12:00pm PST 
good one, but no..
It's like having a wheelchair qualify for a second passenger.
No, I am sure I am right on that one, they won't qualify.
Best, sonja and the crew
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Jolanda, Jul 5 12:00 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Laughing Eyes Kennels
Jolanda

Barked: Fri Jul 5, '13 11:58am PST 
Iris, the dog you're thinking about has similar issues and was retired last year.
Another one of their dogs has the same fear issues and is being used on and off.
I know of a dog, which was returned due to a complete emotional meltdown.
Their personality is unbeatable, but their life skills seem not. They are well socialized with humans and animals.
The ones I know are insecure in public, spook easily and don't recover quickly, sometimes not at all.

They might have a different breeding line today. Maybe they have improved.
Their dogs seem very sensitive and kind, but not necessarily made for SD work.

I would go visit them, and see for yourself. Those dogs I am talking about are 3 out of all those dogs they have placed. My experience might not reflect on their dogs in general..

give it a shot, contact them, speak to them and see where it goes.
Best wishes to you, sonja and the crew.
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Iris vom Zauberberg, Aug 5 2:40 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > SDIT PA in CA???

Jolanda

Barked: Thu Mar 21, '13 12:00am PST 
the tags aren't the same for every county. The pretty round ones with the shape of CA on it, just exists in a few counties.
It's just a regular SD tag from the same office that gives out the regular dog tags. Not all counties will give one out to SDs in Training, because they don't know this kind of tag.
For our county, you have to specifically lay out what the dog can do. It's really hard to get one for a non trained dog.
You do have public access rights. Once the dog is trained, you will easily get a tag.
Well, in SF you can get tags like candies, cause no one cares whether the dog is actually trained. *sigh*
Happy woofs from our furries dog walk
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Mar 23 7:46 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Let people pet your service dog

Jolanda

Barked: Wed Feb 6, '13 8:33pm PST 
Of course it's ok to let your dog work off lead, if it's trained to do so and necessary for your disability.
It's common to see off lead SDs in Germany, in stores, train station, office buildings. Especially dogs, who are trained for people with mobility issues, wheel chairs, etc.
Also here in CA, DC, Chicago, Seattle, NY I have seen it on several occasions..
It's not uncommon to see a dog placed in an area in a small store, where it's out of the way and it's owner can roam the store without having to focus on maneuvering with it.
I do that, too. I have downed Jolanda in really tight places, worked with her off lead, seen several teams do it.
It's absolutely legal and not as uncommon as one would think.

Especially in this context it's essential that the dog is trained to not care about being petted or distracted.
Also you as a handler can chose whether or not you mind your dog being touched and approached.
I don't mind in general, cause my dogs don't care.
There are times where I do mind. I usually ask people not to touch and am physically clear about my message by blocking, moving in or the dog out of the way.
I am usually friendly or ignore people.

Hope I could help, sonja and the crew.
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Apr 30 12:04 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Tasks

Jolanda

Barked: Tue Dec 18, '12 9:10pm PST 
Bella, my suggestion, just stick with the positive posts and your question and not respond to personal stuff.
Mateo, please keep it friendly, cause Bella is here to learn.
Thanks, sonja
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Jan 3 3:14 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > How to deal with family members?
Jolanda

Barked: Sun Nov 4, '12 7:37am PST 
I personally would not go, if I weren't welcome.
"I" means - my husband, my dog(s) and myself. If any of those are not welcome, they don't care enough for me. There are always options and solutions.
We have friends where the landlord will not accept dogs in the house. Well, then we meet in the yard and bbq or hang out in the kitchen, which is right next to the yard. Have done it for years and it's just fine.
I have family members, who feel not strongly about dogs in the house, because of their furniture and carpet - but they try. Well, fine with me, then we stay leashed and in the kitchen.

I show up at places without a SD and don't mind it - if there is a logical reason for it and if the person does not invite the dog out.
We have friends, who really like our dog, but their child is ill and they are worried. I can bring the dog, but of course, I don't.

For me it really is a question of respecting me the way I am. I, as a person, with my needs and issues, am not negotiable. If they want you, meaning you and the dog, then they can make an effort to find a place within their neighborhood or friend circle, for you to stay or pay for a hotel room.

It's difficult to answer, because everyone has different backgrounds and different needs.
My need is to be healthy, at ease and surrounded by the people, who want to be with my little family.
It's difficult, give it time and go with what you feel is right for you wishes
Warm wishes, sonja and the crew
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Jolanda, Nov 4 7:37 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Another housing question regarding service dogs & ESAs

Jolanda

Barked: Fri Nov 2, '12 11:17pm PST 
1. - no
2. - there may, but I don't know for certain..
3. - no
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Iris vom Zauberberg, Nov 3 10:05 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Elizabeth and Troy

Jolanda

Barked: Thu Nov 1, '12 10:00pm PST 
This is a short post, cause I have no words...
one of my friends, Elizabeth, who worked with a guide dog by the name Troy passed away. It's such awful news. I would like to share so the ones, who knew Troy and his family will know.
Please, go to Troy's page - Flicka (Pam) wrote about it in Troy's diary
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1002568/diary/Adventures_with_tro y/803521#comments_form

This is awful cry
Love you Elizabeth, you will be loved and never forgotten hug
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Josephine , Nov 2 2:02 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Specific training for THERAPY dog

Jolanda

Barked: Fri Oct 26, '12 9:03pm PST 
Thanks Lilith and HD flowers
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Star BN RN RA, Oct 27 4:12 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Specific training for THERAPY dog
Jolanda

Barked: Fri Oct 26, '12 1:28pm PST 
Nare, is there a way you could give our guest recommendations for the training or links?
It might help her more than questioning something she did not even write about.
Thank you, sonja
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Star BN RN RA, Oct 27 4:12 pm

(Page 1 of 122: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.