Postings by Maxwell

GO!

(Page 1 of 710: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Dog Health > Last hope for our dear lab Rio
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Tue Apr 15, '14 6:24pm PST 
How very very sad.

hug

If it is acute and you are sure it wasn't infectious doesn't that leave poisoning? Antifreeze maybe? I thought the treatment for that was to continue the fluids until things improve which can take weeks. I gave Sassy subcutaneous fluids for a couple years, perhaps you could get a lesson from the vet and do it at home? If her values go up again after she is off fluids then she does need to keep them up.

Poke around dogaware, there is an article on inappetence, not eating as well as all the valuable information on kidney dogs. Perhaps there is something in there you haven't yet thought to do.

I wonder if simply syringe feeding for a few days would get her gut comfortable with food in it. Puree canned dog food, use meaty baby food with no onion, canned green tripe, puree up some pizza.... I know when I had a tummy upset starting to eat again was very difficult. I sat with a timer next to me and took a sip of water or a tiny bite of cracker every 5 minutes. Tedious but it worked until I got sick of doing that and rushed things. Actually I would cook up mushy white rice and skinned chicken breast with some salty broth and puree that, more likely to be easy on the stomach. Ania wrote in the home cooking forum a while back that a mixture of equal parts potato, sweet potato and turnip is easier on the stomach than rice, could try it.

When Max has a tummy ache and I give him slippery elm bark I dab some on his nose, he licks it off and considers whether it makes him feel better or worse. So far he has decided it makes things better and will lick up a little after his little trial. So do try to let her decide if the food works or not as well. Tiny tiny amounts very often.

Please don't give up even if she isn't eating today or tomorrow. Max has some tumors and goes horribly lame every so often and we think this is the end then the next day he greets us at the door with toy in his mouth and a wagging tail. Quite the rollercoaster ride he is taking us on let me tell you. He is 14 and even though I think he needs to stay with me another 14 years it is okay if his time is near unlike your sweet girl. 5 is far too young!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Today 11:46 am

Raw Food Diet > 10 week old Dalmatian raw diet question
Maxwell

Barked: Sat Apr 12, '14 10:02am PST 
That's great. Glad it was just a momentary problem. I get worried when adult dogs miss a meal, must be really alarming when a new pup does it!
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Ember FDX, Mon 5:39 am

Raw Food Diet > 10 week old Dalmatian raw diet question

Maxwell

Barked: Fri Apr 11, '14 11:29am PST 
I'd be feeding super easy bone like ribs and backs and taking the fatty skin off. Feed more meals per day too. Until his gut settles I would keep things as uniform as possible and be sure the bony stuff is large enough that he chomps it enough to get the stomach juices into it so it can be more easily digested.

Easiest way for me to get this sort of thing would be to buy bone in chicken breasts, pull off the skin and cut to size. I probably would cut off some meat as chicken breast is pretty low in bone for a new to raw dog. For a baby dog I might pop out the breast's keel bone too.

Ginger has an iron gut but Max did poorly on long chicken bones for quite a while, perhaps stick to the ribs and vertebrae for a while. Not sure if he didn't chomp them long enough or they are harder to break down.

If he is reluctant consider whether his tummy is still hurting or is he afraid to eat because it made his tummy hurt. Big difference. If he is afraid you could sear the outside of the meat so it smells different and once he gets going he will be fine. If his tummy actually hurts then I would cook chicken breast and feed him just the ground or chopped meat for a few meals. Mix with 1/2 tsp of powdered eggshell per pound of raw meat for calcium and possibly add 25% pureed veggies as stool firmer. Not a good idea to do this for more than a few days of course.

Be sure he is well hydrated. All the meal refusing and vomiting can cause serious problems in very short order! Maybe at the very least be offering meaty broth or meat broth jello.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Ember FDX, Mon 5:39 am

Raw Food Diet > beef fat, chicken fat, rabbit fat, goat fat, sheep fat, (pretty much fat)

Maxwell

Barked: Thu Apr 10, '14 7:37am PST 
A boneless meat day does the same thing without as great a risk of blow out gut. This sounds like his version of colon cleanse.

I haven't ever completely fasted Max but if you feed gorge meals the dogs may not want food the following day. I wouldn't fast if they have been eating normal sized meals. Feeding more or less every day is fine for most dogs, not all. You may see bile vomits, gas, dogs not able to settle due to upset tummies and such. I wouldn't work through it, I would go back to what works and move slower if you must.

His ideas may or may not work for any or all of the dogs. Please don't jump into it, go slow to see what works and what doesn't work for whichever dog.

Hope your dogs give you really good cues they need to get outside if you do this!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Raine, Fri 6:04 am

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > Reyna is dying

Maxwell

Barked: Mon Apr 7, '14 7:02pm PST 
hug

Spoil her rotten for us please!
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Snowberrys The Skys The Limit, Today 11:04 am

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > Scruffy passed away
Maxwell

Barked: Mon Apr 7, '14 6:58pm PST 
hug

Sorry to read that Scruffy has gone to the rainbow bridge. He was such a trooper and you did everything you could for him.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Scruffy, Tue 2:11 pm

Dog Health > Please help me, I do not know if it is time to put my beloved dog to sleep

Maxwell

Barked: Mon Apr 7, '14 5:45pm PST 
When Sassy stopped eating I thought that was that too but antibiotics do a number on guts, horrible. Once off the antibiotic her appetite came back. Another time turned out she needed a simple antacid that the vet prescribed. You could ask about that. If the food he is eating is high fat then that can upset tummies.

On the rollercoaster with you. Max has masses in two legs and has figured out how to compensate for that with the aid of pain meds. Each time a leg went south I thought this was it but next day [with the aid of pain meds] he was so proud of how he figured out how to keep his lumpy leg under him and was back to barking at nothing, ringing the bell LOUD to get outside and generally being a pest.

His appetite is wonky and he has trouble sleeping at night, been happening on and off since last summer. His blood tests are normal, not pancreatitis. Low fat helps. Small meals help a lot. He had a tummy ache the other day so he is on lower fat home cooked chicken and rice and not enough of it to keep his weight up but I'd rather a happy tummy than keep weight on at this point. Cleaning his bowl for 2 meals in a row so I will feed him more tomorrow and mix in beef as he adores his beef.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Hanna Belle, Apr 8 7:46 am

Dog Health > Cushings Disease and calcification.

Maxwell

Barked: Mon Apr 7, '14 5:25pm PST 
hughug from us too.

You did wonders for him. If you just let him go when the vet said this was it you would have regretted not trying to do more.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Kali, Apr 9 10:26 am

Raw Food Diet > beef fat, chicken fat, rabbit fat, goat fat, sheep fat, (pretty much fat)

Maxwell

Barked: Mon Apr 7, '14 1:31pm PST 
Nope. My dogs tend towards chubbiness so have always avoided giving lots of fat.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Raine, Fri 6:04 am

Raw Food Diet > Balanced diet? Supplements? First post...
Maxwell

Barked: Mon Apr 7, '14 1:28pm PST 
Chicken only is low in some nutrients, guess the stuff you add for the cats brings them up where they need to be? I think cats and dogs have pretty much the same nutrition needs, some dogs even need taurine added to food.

If you feed exactly what the cats get I suspect all will be just fine. Bigger bits of whole bony stuff of course!

To feed only meat/bone/organ you need mostly red meat like pork, beef and lamb, especially beef or the diet will be low in zinc and copper and even some B vitamins.

I do supplement with zinc and a multimineral as I have found that Max is better if manganese, magnesium and zinc are right on target. He doesn't get but 1.5% of his body weight, perhaps a dog that eats more would be fine without the supplement. I would give any carnivore fed any which way fish oil and vitamin E.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Maxwell, Apr 7 1:28 pm

(Page 1 of 710: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.