Postings by Sassy

GO!

(Page 1 of 268: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Dog Health > Cannot keep any food down
Sassy

Princess and the- Pea

Barked: Fri Aug 30, '13 5:09pm PST 
Sassy did not have this problem when she became ill with kidney disease but I learned a lot from dogaware.com's page on kidney disease. Perhaps something there could lead you somewhere. There are a number of very good knowledgeable yahoo email groups on canine health issues. I learned a lot about treating Sassy from the K9KidneyDiet group.

I was sure Sassy was going to leave us when she stopped eating but a simple antacid fixed her right up, it could be something as small as that. The other 'miracle' treatment was subcutaneous fluids. I insisted Sassy start them somewhat earlier than usually suggested as she very obviously was seriously dehydrated whether her tests showed that or not.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Sep 4 8:39 am

Raw Food Diet > Edibal bones. Whole cuts. Old dogs. Bad teeth. Safety tips.
Sassy

Princess and the- Pea

Barked: Mon Jun 10, '13 5:10pm PST 
When Sassy was 16 years old she stopped wanting to chew on raw beef rib bones so I *had* to go to BBQ places and was forced to get beef ribs for me and then I gave her the bones. It was horrible.laugh out loud She did a great job of stripping the soft stuff off and then was done. She still took cooked chicken bones out of the trash can right in front of me when I was boning her stewed chicken and chewed those up though. Had to let her. Phosphorus bombs those bones were, had to give her a tummy ache after since she had kidney disease but had to let the old girl have a garbage raid like the bad old days.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Tesla-Trooper, Jun 10 7:03 pm

Raw Food Diet > I wish I was educated on RAW when I had my other dog...

Sassy

Princess and the- Pea

Barked: Tue Jun 4, '13 3:19pm PST 
I know. I started feeding fresh cooked food to Sassy when she needed a special diet for her kidney disease, that horrible recall was going on in 2007 and her commercial kidney food looked exactly like corn pops. Smelled a bit like them too... She adored her cooked chicken and rice but would have done even better on raw if I had been brave enough to go for it. I will always wonder if her kidneys would have stayed healthy if she didn't have dry kibble all those years. I am sure her annoying flea allergy would have been the same but maybe her skin would have been that much healthier with more healthy raw fat and maybe her anal sac issues would have cleared up on raw the way they did on cooked food.

You do what you can with the resources you have. At least I switched from giving expensive bully sticks and beef ears to nice raw beef ribs before she left us.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Charlie, Jun 5 1:35 pm

Dog Health > Kidney Failure! Please Help!

Sassy

Princess and the- Pea

Barked: Mon May 27, '13 8:45pm PST 
Sassy lived 3.5 years to the age of 17 with kidney disease. Those subcutaneous fluids were wonderful and the dogaware page helped me formulate a great diet of boiled chicken and glutinous rice that had less phosphorus, more protein and less of the fat she could no longer tolerate than the special vet foods. Less protein doesn't help at all, sick dogs need more than healthy dogs. Once on a higher protein diet she stopped losing muscle mass and did much better. Less phosphorus helps the tummy ache situation and subQs keep the dog hydrated so they can pee out the irritating phosphorus better. If you are interested in cooking for your dog also see the yahoo group, K9KidneyDiet. It is a very intense group and the posters are extremely knowledgeable on treatments.

My vet did the same to me. I think part of the problem is once treated the dog seems better and some people may go back to how things were when it is important to change the diet and increase fluids as well as doing regular blood and urine checks to be sure you are on track treatment wise. Loss of kidney function is permanent!

Thanks to the information on the kidney list and dogaware I pushed for subQs and phosphorus binders earlier than the vet thought necessary and Sassy kept her appetite to the end with good quality of life.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Scooter, PAWS , May 29 8:26 am

Grooming > Everyone's favorite topic - - Anal Glands!!

Sassy

Princess and the- Pea

Barked: Mon Mar 11, '13 11:44am PST 
And Sassy would be licking and scooting with a couple of drops that needed to come out.......... Even when she was leaning in and helping express it herself there would be maybe a teaspoonful of gunk trapped.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Tuvok, May 27 8:15 pm

Raw Food Diet > Fish Guts?
Sassy

Princess and the- Pea

Barked: Fri Dec 30, '11 8:33am PST 
Chouchou, the photo is there. You must hunt down the sneaky space dogster puts in the link address.

If your dog hasn't ever had mackerel before that is a lot for the first time. I cut 5 ounce sardines into 3 bits and offered up one every few days for a while before Max got to eat a whole one. Some dogs are suspicious of new foods and new foods can upset the tummy if fed in large amounts right off the bat. Max won't eat a new food if that is all that is on offer but once he has started eating he will at least pick up the new food. Every dog has their own way of treating new stuff. Sassy would inhale anything she could get her mouth around and suffer the consequences!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Dec 30 9:52 am

Dog Health > Pug, difficulty walking

Sassy

Princess and the- Pea

Barked: Thu Dec 29, '11 8:21am PST 
I put velcro fastened booties on Sassy for walks, she loved having them on as her knuckles stopped hurting when she banged and scuffed her rear feet along during walks. I took them off in the house though as they held in moisture which wouldn't be good for the feet. Worked great, the fur even grew back. The tile and carpet in the house didn't bother her knuckles much, just the longer walks on pavement.

Maybe you can find velcro fastenings on breathable booties that would stay on better? Wrapping the top with vet wrap would work but not sure that is a good long term solution. Just for walks those balloon looking booties could work as well but they are definitely not a good long term solution.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Pugsly, Jan 2 12:31 pm

Food & Nutrition > Nupro causing dog to be sick?

Sassy

Princess and the- Pea

Barked: Sat Nov 12, '11 9:34am PST 
Long ago I tried a similar supplement and gave up. I probably was just giving too much too soon, try cutting the amount down a lot more and increasing very slowly.

Nupro does have liver which commonly causes problems and flax which can also cause trouble. I don't remember liver but the supplement I gave up on had flax and I have avoided giving flax since.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Bella and Daisy CGC, Nov 15 8:00 pm

Dog Health > Costco Glucosamine

Sassy

Princess and the- Pea

Barked: Sat Nov 5, '11 9:00am PST 
Sassy used the Nature Made brand from Costco. I threw away the Kirkland brand, I could tell easily it wasn't as effective as the Nature Made with MSM.

This worked great
Nature Made TripleFlex Triple Strength Supplement 750 mg
This one I threw away
Kirkland Signature Extra Strength Glucosamine and Chondroitin Sulfate

but you might try this one Kirkland Signature Extra Strength Glucosamine with MSM
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Abby, Nov 6 1:22 pm

Home Prepared Food & Recipes > Which Foods to Avoid
Sassy

Princess and the- Pea

Barked: Fri Sep 30, '11 5:49pm PST 
If you add up all the chocolate in an Advent calendar it might be the size of a couple Hersey bars is all. The very first week Sassy was here we forgot about the 3 pound box of soccer candy bars on the fireplace mantel. She ate nearly all of them but did hid a few in the living room. It was a dangerous dose for a 42 pound dog and even though she vomited much of it up at home and the rest at the vet office she was still climbing the walls for a couple days. She was alone less than an hour and at the vet within 15 minutes of getting home and seeing the mess. She never stopped loving chocolate and got into semi sweet bits and cocoa other times but never got as sick again.

Never read about sage before.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Mr. Pibbs *CGC*, Oct 2 8:59 am

(Page 1 of 268: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.