Postings by Stormy Puppy (Found a home!)

GO!

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  

Service & Therapy Dogs > Let people pet your service dog
Stormy Puppy- (Found a- home!)

Barked: Wed Jan 30, '13 8:01pm PST 
The problem comes if people end up thinking it is ok to just run up to any dog including a service dog and pet them without permission, or distract them when they are working. Depending on the work that a service dog is doing, a person running up and getting in the way of the next service dog they see because they think it's ok, could be dangerous or harmful to the person who is partnered with that dog. Not because the dog may bite but because they may for example be acting to help guide a person or provide balance and getting in the way of that dog while they are doing their job could cause harm to the person they are working with. Or perhaps the dog being disturbed might end up missing alerting the person to their medical condition (seizure, blood sugar drop, etc) in time, or the dog may be interrupted in the middle of performing a needed task at that time. Yes the dog should be focusing on their work but they are not robots and could still be disturbed or miss something if someone is getting in their way (not to mention that the handler may not be comfortable with a stranger handling their dog, or may be busy or not able to deal with it at the time due to their medical condition).

I don't think allowing people to pet your dog is a problem necessarily if it works for you and for the job your dog does-- but it is not going to be the best idea for all service dogs/handlers/situations. Also if you are letting people run up and pet without asking permission and not educating people who pet your dog on why they should NOT distract a service dog or pet one without permission, then you are doing a disservice to other service dog handlers.
[notify]
» There has since been 20 posts. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Apr 30 12:04 pm

Small Dogs > What is the best comb or brush for matted fur?

Barked: Thu May 3, '12 11:36pm PST 
Toto you're so right. My family had a dog who was half "cockapoo" and she would mat if you looked at her funny. The mix between the curly and fuzzy coats equaled hair that was part curls, part waves and part straight.

Definitely don't bathe if they're matted it will just tighten up the mats.
For my fosters Shi Tzu I used a mat breaker for small tangles/mats but you need to be VERY careful as the mat breakers have sharp teeth.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , May 12 9:57 pm

Small Dogs > purse/messenger style carrier with pockets?

Barked: Thu Apr 12, '12 3:26pm PST 
There are some nice ones here:
http://www.celltei.com/sp20susa.html
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Frankie, May 5 8:54 pm

Dogster Lifestyle, News & Entertainment > Dog Carriers: Lucy's Luxuries, Kwigy-bo?

Barked: Tue Apr 3, '12 10:05pm PST 
I've seen these in person and they look really nice:
http://www.celltei.com/petcarriers.html

They also will do custom designs if you want something special/different. If the price is too much also check their "specials" section for discounts.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Stormy Puppy (Found a home!), Apr 3 10:05 pm

Dogs & Travel > Looking for carrier tote

Barked: Sun Mar 11, '12 6:17pm PST 
Try www.gollygear.com they are all about little dog stuff. Also you can call them with questions. Their actual store is near me and I have been there several times, they are very helpful.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Stormy Puppy (Found a home!), Mar 11 6:17 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Private rehomes-- Craigslist and the like

Barked: Sat Jan 28, '12 4:46pm PST 
I have placed an ad before for animals I rescued and I was trying to find a home for. However I also had a questionnaire and asked for references and etc before letting anyone meet the animal or adopt. I also generally have them meet the animal at least once in my home (or on 'neutral ground' if they already have a dog and need to see if they will get along), and also at least once at their home BEFORE I will approve them to adopt the pet (usually more than that.)

I would have done the rescue route, every time I've rescued a dog/cat I do contact rescues and no-kill shelters but they are always full so I end up fostering and finding a home for them myself. I do ask for an adoption fee, partly because I don't feel comfortable with the idea of a "free" pet as I think this is more likely to attract people who don't have the animal's best interest in mind, and also to help me pay for the vet fees that I incur to get them vaccinated, s/n, microchipping, etc... Of course it never covers all the fees but it does help some.

Most of my own pets were stray rescues so I didn't know much about them either but they all worked out great!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Jackson Tan, Jan 28 5:53 pm

Dog Health > Thoughts on groomers who do not ask for shot records...?

Barked: Wed Jan 25, '12 10:12pm PST 
That makes me really glad that my groomer already knew me when I brought in Stormy! He was in horrible matted shape when we found him (well, sort of found-- he showed up in my backyard so either someone dumped him there or he somehow fit himself under the fence, I keep the gates locked.)
I took him to my regular groomer who knew me very well so she knew he really was a stray. She actually did not even charge me for his groomer because of that. I stayed and helped her, some of the mats came off in solid pieces. frown I can't believe a dog so young could be in such bad shape(he was probably about 6-9 months old).
If you look at the photos on his page you can see how he was and how the fur looked that was shaved off. He was actually MUCH dirtier than that at first but a family member gave him a bath not realizing that's not good. Before that he just looked solid gray, you couldn't see any white parts.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Stormy Puppy (Found a home!), Jan 25 10:12 pm

Small Dogs > Am I to small to go out side to go potty???

Barked: Mon Oct 3, '11 10:42pm PST 
I don't think you are too small but I would stay on leash in the yard just in case.
[notify]
» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by Tinkerbell, Nov 25 9:50 am

Grooming > Quetions about Mats/ evaluating a groomer- need advice

Barked: Sat Oct 1, '11 8:04am PST 
Yeah bathing without brushing can make the mats worse too.
Those curly coats just tend to mat more easily as well. When I was a kid my family had a cockapoo/terrier mix and she had sort of an intermediate coat, non-shedding like a poodle but instead of the poodle curls her hair was wavy with some random curling and she would mat if you looked at her funny. confused
[notify]
» There has since been 17 posts. Last posting by Maxie CGC, TDI, Oct 3 5:48 pm

Grooming > Quetions about Mats/ evaluating a groomer- need advice

Barked: Fri Sep 30, '11 8:52pm PST 
If the mats are mostly behind the ears and the legs, maybe just have them do the legs shorter and the area behind/under the ears?

When I had my foster Shih Tzu I found a slicker brush kinda would slide over the coat and not go through any small tangles that were forming. I had better luck with using a pin brush and a comb. He was NOT good with being groomed. I think he had never been groomed as a puppy because when I rescued him at about 8-10 months old(he actually showed up in my backyard) he was horribly horribly matted to the skin and so dirty.
For small mats I used a mat-breaker, but you need to be very careful if you use one of those because they do have sharp surfaces.
The one I used looked something like this:
http://www.petedge.com/catalog/product_popup.jsp?entityId=553 11&entityType=product&templateType=1
[notify]
» There has since been 20 posts. Last posting by Maxie CGC, TDI, Oct 3 5:48 pm

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.