Postings by Duke

GO!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > What are legitimate reasons for re - homing a dog?
Duke

Hero Dog

Barked: Thu May 28, '09 6:22pm PST 
Lupi, I agree. It is horrible when people give up their dogs because of poor planning on their own part (you mean a mastiff gets big? Boxers needs exercise?) but it is better that the dog be rehomed than be abused, starved, left to die of untreated injuries, or dumped on the side of the road somewhere. That is why I hate these local petshops so much. It is no effort at all to go in a buy a puppy. Sure it is expensive, but it is like any other impulse shopping. At least with a reputable breeder you have to do a little effort, and most make you really think through the breed choice before selling you a puppy. It's really sad that animals have come to be treated like toys. But still, better given up to a home that can make them happy than left to suffer and die alone.

As to the original question. I think there are many reasons why a family may just not be right for a particular dog and may be a valid reason for rehoming that dog. As one poster mentioned, a dog with severe SA and the family unable to get it the help it needs or be home with it. Dogs with extreme health problems that tax a family beyond their ability in vet costs. Yes you should plan for vet bills, but there are chronic illnesses that can tax even the best prepared family or individual. Losing a job and home suddenly, you may be able to make it work for a while, but with the economy the way it is I do not blame people for having to give up a beloved pet, you can see in their eyes how hard it is. Elderly people going into nursing facilities or passing away. Of course you would want to plan for the future, but sometimes things don't work out like you would like. Serious debilitating illnesses. It really is a case by case situation. And what might work for one person to keep animal and human together may not work for some one else.
[notify]
» There has since been 18 posts. Last posting by Duppy Conquerer ~*CGC*~, Jun 3 7:58 pm

Grooming > Does ur grooming shop accept Pitbulls???
Duke

Hero Dog

Barked: Thu May 28, '09 5:28pm PST 
There are a couple of "doggie day camps" around here that have banned bully breeds. We don't have any BSL in the area (DFW Tx) but some of the shops are a diffrent story. Camp Bow Bow does not accept Bully breed doggie day campers or overnight guests. We won't even shop there. We buy our dog food at The Dog Lofts because they love all of our dogs, big and small, bully and chi, and they carry the only brand that doesn't make Duke sick. This is where the dogs will stay if they ever need borded. I have heard from others with bullies that some of the shops arround do not accept bully clients, but I groom my own dogs (they are all wash and go) so I have no first hand experience.

Our local petsmart is bully friendly. I don't think it has the hotel portion. Duke took his first round of training there, and everyone is always very friendly when we go in. I like to take the dogs there. Every once in a while we meet a person who is not so keen on Duke, but most people fawn all over him. He has a way with the public. wink
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Xena, May 29 2:49 pm

Dog Laws & Legislation > English Cocker Spaniel - Worlds Meanest Dogs?

Duke

Hero Dog

Barked: Thu May 28, '09 5:04pm PST 
I don't think it is fair to label any breed. I will admit I've known some pretty nasty cockers (they were American though, not English). But I live in an area where for a long time they were very popular and over bred. And the dogs were not mean so much as poorly bred, poorly trained, and poorly exercised. They were fearful and anxious and tended to either wet or bite when meeting new people or approached by small squealing children. By contrast my uncle's family all owned cockers, and they were excellent dogs. They came from good hunting stock, were properly cared for and trained, and had appropriate outlets for their physical and mental needs. They were either hunted, or in my uncle's case they did Civil War re-enactments right along with him. Not a one of my uncle's dogs over the years was overly fearful, anxious, or aggressive. But I wouldn't judge the breed based on either example. They are good dogs for the right people. And it is always sad when dogs become popular and are poorly bred and improperly owned. Very few dogs are at their best under such circumstances.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Duke, May 28 5:04 pm

American Bulldog > Raising a Pup Properly with other Dogs

Duke

Hero Dog

Barked: Thu May 28, '09 4:43pm PST 
My best advice is just common sense type stuff. Make sure to expose your puppy early to lots of new people and situations so he is comfortable in new places and with new people. Be reasurring by being calm and collected yourself, not hurried or nervous. And puppy kindergarten with a trainer that uses positive discipline and has a good reputation. If you have friends that have well behaved and well socialized dogs those are the dogs you want your puppy to spend time with. Dogs definately do learn from each other, so if he sees how well trained, well socialized dogs behave he will be more likely to emulate them.

Duke came to our family when he was 1yr old. He hadn't been well socialized or trained at all. We started over like he was a puppy. Lots of calm walks, interacting with other good canine citizens and a training class with a good reputation and a trainer who uses positive training techniques. He's not perfect, you can still see some of the emotional scars from his beginings, but he is a steady dog and a great companion.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Duke, May 28 4:43 pm

Dog Laws & Legislation > Guardian Angel ??

Duke

Hero Dog

Barked: Thu May 28, '09 2:51pm PST 
I agree, sounds like he made the right decision. That's a bully for you, devoted to the end.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Willow, May 28 9:31 pm

Dog Laws & Legislation > Attacked by a stray dog today
Duke

Hero Dog

Barked: Tue May 19, '09 6:03pm PST 
Missy, I've got over 17yrs of experiencing working with rescue dogs, so yes I think I have some idea about body language and dogs. The golden that was attacking my son absolutely had the intent of mauling him. You could see it written clearly all over his body. He saw my child as a threat or possibly food. I've rarely seen that sort of stalking outside of animal planet documentaries on wolves. And Duke, being an incredibly friendly dog, would not have agressed if the dog did not have ill intent. If it was all in play, Duke would have reacted in kind. This same dog was finally picked up by the ACO's after seriously mauling a woman jogger. She maced him and her male jogging partner subdued him.

This situation is not the dog park. I've seen plenty of dog fights in my time, mostly between at least somewhat evenly matched dogs. I have been lucky enough not to be bitten pulling dogs apart, though many of my fellow volunteers have been bitten a fair few times. But again, this was not a dog fight, this was one dog seriously aggressing (possibly with the motive of eating) a much smaller dog. The posters dog could not defend himself against this much larger and stronger dog. Now I was not there, I cannot say that there was not another option, or what this situation was like. But I can definately say if I have to make a choice between seriously hurting or killing some one elses dog, and allowing that dog to hurt or kill my dog or child, yes I am going to chose protecting my pet or child. This dog was a stray, obviously his owners did not care about him. But even an owned dog running loose does not deserve more care on my part than my own pets. I made a promise to take care of them and protect them, what kind of owner would I be if I let another dog maul or kill them because "I don't want to hurt the other dog"? It is diffrent if you have two dogs that engage in a fight, or your dog is the aggressor. This was an unprovoked act of aggression by a starving dog on a smaller animal. The smaller animal needed protection, and the owner fulfilled their duty to their own dog. IS it horrible that the other dog had to be hurt? Absolutely, and I cannot say I would not feel baddly if I had to hurt another dog to protect mine, but it is still my responsibilty to my pet or child first. And ultimately it is the owner of the dog at large that is to blame. Typically it comes down to, improper care, improper socialization, and all around negligent ownership.
[notify]
» There has since been 37 posts. Last posting by Dogster HQ, May 20 11:18 am

Dog Laws & Legislation > Something isn't right at all, should I report to higher authorities?

Duke

Hero Dog

Barked: Tue May 19, '09 5:01pm PST 
I think you should. That sounds incredibly suspicious. Is HSUS your only option in your area? Some areas have SPCA's that deal with humane law enforcement and are much more effective. Is there a local humane society maybe you could call and see what they think or any numbers they could give you?
[notify]
» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by Chewy, May 24 8:26 pm

Dog Laws & Legislation > Attacked by a stray dog today

Duke

Hero Dog

Barked: Tue May 19, '09 4:54pm PST 
I agree with Gretchen. You just can't know what you would do in any given situation unless you are actually in that situation. We were minding our own business at the playground one day when a golden came out of nowhere and attacked not my dog but my youngest son. Thankfully Duke was with me and the moment I saw the dog and started running for my child I forgot all about him and dropped his leash. He is much faster than me and did make it to his baby in time. The dog collided with his shoulder and was thrown back by his own momentum. But he still got up and made to go at my son again. It was a warning bark from Duke that scared him off. I can't honestly say what I would have done if he hadn't run off. If he had attacked Duke or worse yet my baby. Duke is a big dog, at least a match for the golden at 100lbs. He could probably defend himself but that doesn't mean I want him torn up by an aggressive stray dog. If the dog had actually reached my child, or if I had had one of the tiny dogs with me and they had been attacked I would have done whatever I had to to protect them. I would have slammed the dog to the ground, punched, kicked, whatever I had to do. Thankfully it didn't come to that, but to say "there is always another option" is pretty unrealistic. You do what you have to do to protect your pet or child. Even if you truly love dogs, that doesn't mean you stand back and allow your pet to be mauled to death to avoid hurting one.

I do think the suggestion to carry mace is a good one. I am thinking I may need to pick some up. I jog alone with Duke, he's a pretty good deterent, but there are some crazy things out there, and not just stray dogs.
[notify]
» There has since been 43 posts. Last posting by Dogster HQ, May 20 11:18 am

Choosing the Right Dog > how many dogs is too many dogs

Duke

Hero Dog

Barked: Tue May 19, '09 4:18pm PST 
I think that depends on the person like most of the other posters have said. For our family 4 is about the limit, though it would also depend on the dogs. The two little dogs are sort of like having one dog, since they do everything together anyway. I'm married, and I have two kids, and it seems each of us has one dog that we are more bonded with, wich is also nice. It wouldn't work if the dogs didn't get along, or we had one that was super demanding. City limits do come into play, as well as your ability to provide for the dogs. Our house couldn't accomadate 4 giant dogs, but one or two giant dogs and a couple of tiny dogs works fine. We have a good sized yard and we choose breeds that are low activity level becaues that is what works for us.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Jun 3 1:33 pm

Dog Laws & Legislation > High Drama Faces Texas Dog Owners
Duke

Hero Dog

Barked: Tue May 19, '09 2:54pm PST 
For some reason the first time I read the start of this post I thought it said "restricts the breeds Texans can own" or something like that. And I was ready to be really upset that our state was considering breed banning. But this is just to hopefully target puppymillers and nasty back yard breeders. I'm all for it. The last thing we need is more dogs being put down every year because there are not enough homes for them. I can't imagine a responsible breeder even having a problem with yearly checks ect. If you aren't doing anything wrong......
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Jesse, Jun 2 6:53 pm

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.