Postings by Kodie

GO!

(Page 1 of 15: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  

Dog Health > Bruising on Stomach
Kodie

U have no toy to- throw? Ill get- you one!

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '13 6:00pm PST 
Well we made progress on some things during Kodie's appointment.

We were having issues, or rather concerns, with Kodie's constant panting and inability to settle down. The vet remarked that those were side affects to the steroids he is on, as is muscle wasting. She noticed muscle wasting in Kodie's hind end, which is very evident. So, his medication for inflammatory bowel disease has been significantly dropped down. Hopefully that will solve the those concerns!

Next was the bruise. She said it is concerning because when Kodie came in for bloat his platelet levels were very, very low. So low that the first vet told me operating at that time was out of the question and Kodie would bleed out. Well the levels bounced back the next day. So, something could be up with the platelet levels again. We decided to wait on drawing blood to see if the bruise heals on its own. If it isn't better in the next few days then we will go back and run more blood.

Additionally I now have a full supply of extra strength gas-x for those times when Kodie is looking like he might be bloating again. Up until now I've been using pepcid for the couple of times that I thought we might be going into full bloat again.

So we are taking it day by day! Today was a good day for Kodie, which was very nice to see!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Kali, Jan 25 5:47 pm

Kodie

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 5:09pm PST 
Thanks for the support, and I'll def update.

When I picked the boys up from grooming I was surprised to see Kodie in a short hair cut. He really had a lot of hair on him going in! I wasn't so surprised at the hair but as soon as I saw him my first thought was, oh no, he has lost weight! I just hadn't noticed it because of the thick hair! I put him on the scale and the vet checked his records to find that he has lost five pounds in the last few months. And he was thin to begin with. He's always been very fickle about food, but been able to maintain a steady weight.

Oye, just another thing to deal with tomorrow at the internalist appointment.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Kali, Jan 25 5:47 pm

Kodie

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 12:06pm PST 
Anyone ever seen bruising on a dog's stomach? And what was the cause?

Last night I found a bruise on Kodie's stomach in the spot where he has a scar from a surgery to fix a hernia when he was 8 weeks old. Kodie went into the groomer today and I had the vets look at it, unfortunately my usual vet, who is the owner, is at a conference in Florida. Bleh. So, a vet I've never talked to told me that it was a bruise and that it didn't look fresh. She thought he had bled at some point. She offered to do a full blood work up, but Kodie is seeing his internalist tomorrow for his two week re-check from bloating.

I swear it wasn't there the other night, so not sure what this vet meant by "fresh". THe other night we almost took Kodie into the ER for bloat again, but Pepcid did the trick and slowly Kodie was comfortable again. Now he has the bruise on his stomach. Coincidence??
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Kali, Jan 25 5:47 pm

Dog Health > Diarrhea

Kodie

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '13 10:05am PST 
Does he have stomach issues along with the stool or just soft stools? Meaning is the stomach growling, does he get nauseous, or anything else?

Kodie has had that same type problem but his stomach goes wacky when it happens. We solved it with a regiment of pepcid with every meals and Tylan powder with his food.

Have you had an ultrasound done or has one been recommended?
[notify]
» There has since been 17 posts. Last posting by Tessie, Jan 22 9:53 am

Dog Health > He Bloated

Kodie

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '13 9:17am PST 
Well Kodie came home from the ICU last night! He had a bit of a rough night and became nauseous around five am, and I sat with him on the couch until 6:30am. But after that he seemed to settled down.

I don't know why, but I expected him to be more energetic coming home, but he was out of it and extremely wobbly last night. However, he is better this morning. Has a bit more energy and is wagging his tail a bit.

In terms of why it happened, after the ultrasound (which was clear of cancer), the opinion was that he either bloated because of the who knows reasons and breed predisposition, or inflammatory bowel disease. We had two options of treatment. Either surgery and take intestinal biopsies, or medication to discourage bloat combined with medication for intestinal bowel disease (basically treat him as if he has it). We decided on the medication route. Honestly, Kodie has been through five surgeries in the past six years and we decided that we didn't want to put him through another right now. After seeing how shaky he is I'm more comfortable with the decision. We'll see how the medication for the bowel disease does and if he doesn't show improvement on his stool and stomach issues, then he probably doesn't have that and we'll reevaluate surgery options.

Right now our hopes is that the medication works.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Ginger DSA ThD TT CGC &hearts, Jan 12 7:17 pm

Dog Health > He Bloated
Kodie

Barked: Thu Jan 10, '13 9:42am PST 
Thank you for all the stories. It is nice to know that older dogs can come back from bloat. I've heard from the emergency veterinary clinic and Kodie did have a good night. His stomach did not bloat again, which is great. When they did rounds though, the internalists thought that it might be his liver causing the issues, but who knows. We are waiting on the ultrasound though, and hopefully that will lead us in a direction, even if it is that this was just a who knows why bloat case.

SO fingers crossed that we get good news from the ultrasound!
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Ginger DSA ThD TT CGC &hearts, Jan 12 7:17 pm

Dog Health > He Bloated

Kodie

Barked: Thu Jan 10, '13 5:33am PST 
Hi everyone. I haven't been on the boards in quite some time, but I am hoping that someone might have some experience with bloat.

Kodie, bloated last night after not having any increased exercise, and not eating any dinner. Kodie did drink a lot of water, however he has been doing that the last couple days. Kodie has thrown up water a few times in the last couple days, been drinking a lot, and either peeing a lot or throwing all the water up.

The stomach didn't twist but they had to pass a tube twice because within an hour of the first tube being passed gas began to build back up. So, my boy is sitting in the ICU right now.

So, my question is has anyone dealt with there being an underlying cause to bloat besides breed, eating, etc the normal factors? Meaning has anyone dealt with it when there has been underlying cancer, disease, etc? We are waiting to hear this morning on Kodie's blood work; last night his platelets were so low that they thought he would bleed out even if he needed surgery. And they are doing an ultrasound of his intestines. Kodie has had issues with his stomach and diarrhea over the last year. So they think cancer or intestinal bowel disease could be underlying.

So, any experience?

Honestly, I think I am still in shock that it happened. Thankful that I caught it, but I'm surprised that at 10 1/2 years old he all of a sudden bloated.
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Ginger DSA ThD TT CGC &hearts, Jan 12 7:17 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > How many dogs?

Kodie

Barked: Wed Jun 27, '12 4:21pm PST 
I have two, and until I move into a house with a yard, that is my max. The boys are great company for each other and are perfect apartment dogs. We are looking to move in August/September to a house, and in with my SO, at which point we will look to get our third. That will be my SO's choice dog, and some of you might remember that we tried to do a third (a puppy bernese), but with my SO's work changes we quickly realized that it just couldn't work while we aren't living together. So, within a week, and with many tears, our awesome puppy went back to our loving and understanding breeder. Well, she is breeding again in Nov. so we are thinking that our third will come in that litter. Three will be abs. max though!! haha, unless you count fosters...then that number changes.
[notify]
» There has since been 21 posts. Last posting by Kolbe, Jul 10 11:16 am

Dog Health > Surgery for bladder stones

Kodie

Barked: Wed Jun 6, '12 4:35pm PST 
I think it depends a lot on how big the stones are right now, and how many are there. Meaning are they still small enough to pass, or are they big enough that if they move there will be an obstruction.

With females it is a lot easier to try the diet change method, and then see how it goes, because there is more likelihood that the stones can pass even if they move out of the bladder. Males are a little trickier because if they move and get stuck then an obstruction is dangerous to the dogs health.

Kodie has been through four bladder stone surgeries. The first was to remove a large one that became obstructed, and then we found out that he makes complex stones (two types of stones wrapped around each other: calcium oxalates and silicates) that are both rare and with not break down with food. No treatment or food change has ever worked and eventually he had a permanent fix put in place (a hole), and so his penis is no longer functional.

If your dog has the type of stones that will not break down then you will only know it by the diet change not working, and then the test once they get the stones out. From there you change diet depending on the stone type with an aim towards preventing reformation of stones. If they reform then there can be frustration in not knowing if the treatment worked and now you have a different type of stone. Again, you won't know until the next stones are tested. From personal experience I can tell you that it can be a frustrating round robin experience, however, Kodie's situation is rare.

I wish you lots of luck! There is not real right answer, it is just what you are comfortable with.

I edited because I thought Scruffy was female at first! sorry!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Kali, Jun 6 6:47 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > question about red spoodles
Kodie

Barked: Wed Apr 25, '12 8:29am PST 
The reds are stunning. I want a red for my next standard poodle. One of the breeders I have been looking at is bijou poodles in Canada. I've watched their website for a few years now. They breed a little more based on color but I really love their reds. They seem to stay red too and not fade to apricot later.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Sonja, Apr 26 8:16 pm

(Page 1 of 15: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.