Postings by Diesel

GO!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

Behavior & Training > why do people think they are born this way??
Diesel

My head- rattles...

Barked: Tue Jun 23, '09 2:48pm PST 
Well I do have to say Mr. Diesel is dumb as a brick.... really, the dumbest dog I've ever owned... but to his credit at this point he is the best behaved out of my three. We get compliments about him all the time and when people ask what dane puppies are like I tell them... we went through 3 couches, 3 digital cameras, a VCR, many shoes, a window, sprinkler heads, 8 weeks in inboard training and now many Saturdays at "school" to get this far... They come as chewing machines!
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Tubby, Jun 24 11:39 am

Behavior & Training > Halti for reactive dogs?
Diesel

My head- rattles...

Barked: Tue Jun 23, '09 2:38pm PST 
We used to use choke chains on our danes until we had some aggression issues... mostly with people though. It was kinda scary actually as danes are supposed to be very gentle dogs. We got really frustrated and finally found an amazing trainer that helped us really turn our youngest around. He spent 8 weeks in inboard training and now we go once a week to a group class where he is the star! They recommend and use Gentle Leaders and now that is the only thing we use on either of our boys and we've started using on our Aussie. We haven't had another problem with aggression since and we have definitely been in situations that would have set the boys off. I really like the Gentle Leader and definitely recommend using one for training. My recommendation for getting them used to one though is to put it on with lots of treats in hand and go for a walk. Use lots of praise for good behavior and ignore the bad. If they start to scratch at the nose piece just bump the leash a little and keep walking. If they are walking they can't scratch it off. Eventually they will get used to it and come to enjoy it when it comes out. Good Luck!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Diesel, Jun 23 2:38 pm

Great Dane > Imported Danes?

Diesel

My head- rattles...

Barked: Tue Jun 23, '09 9:45am PST 
Diesel is from European lines... he is two and weighs 168lbs. His only health issues are the occasional ear infection and some skin allergies. He does have issues with his eyes being really droopy but nothing that seems to bother him. Just like with any dog know where it's coming from, form a relationship with the breeder and do your research!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Diesel, Jun 23 9:45 am

Dog Health > Ear Infections

Diesel

My head- rattles...

Barked: Tue Jun 23, '09 9:21am PST 
With three floppy eared dogs we deal with ear issues all the time... Head shaking is generally our first indication there is something up and we treat at home with Zymox before it gets bad enough to get to the vet. You can find Zymox online, it's totally natural and will generally clear up an early infection with one or two treatments. I swear by it now! It has saved me tons of money at the vet!
Good Luck
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Jun 25 1:41 pm

Great Dane > Pet beds

Diesel

My head- rattles...

Barked: Wed Apr 22, '09 10:53am PST 
yup Diesel tore the whole cover off the mattress, he didn't actually ingest anything but we tried two of them and neither one lasted longer than a week.... We recently found Kuranda beds and so far so good! we got the aluminum frame one and it fits just barely in his crate. It's a little pricey but it's guaranteed for a year against destruction so we're good for a year! Hopefully this is the answer...happy dance
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Toby, Aug 17 10:23 am

Dog Health > Sentinel instead of individual flea and heartworm meds?
Diesel

My head- rattles...

Barked: Wed Apr 8, '09 1:18pm PST 
We use Revolution and it takes care of heartworm fleas ticks and mites. We use it year round and have NEVER had a flea on any of our kids.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Henry, Apr 24 9:21 pm

Dog Health > Bloat

Diesel

My head- rattles...

Barked: Wed Apr 8, '09 1:16pm PST 
The main problem with elective tacking of the stomach is that it isn't 100 percent effective in eliminating torsion especially as the dog ages. The tacking works by placing a suture from the stomach into the abdominal wall that will eventually dissolve, what holds the stomach in place is the scar tissue that is formed between the stomach and the abdominal wall, this tissue isn't always strong enough to prevent torsion especially in a severe bloat case. ( We looked at having it done when Diesel was neutered and the surgery for him was going to be well over 2000 dollars). You'll find the more people you talk to about bloat and torsion the more answers you'll get, the real story about bloat is that we really don't know what causes it for sure or how to totally prevent it. Here is the article from the Merk Vet Manual http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/23305.htm&w ord=gastric%2cdilitation
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Snowball Brian, Apr 9 10:45 pm

Dog Health > Bloat

Diesel

My head- rattles...

Barked: Tue Apr 7, '09 2:28pm PST 
Unfortunately there isn't a whole lot you can do to prevent bloat but I think feeding multiple meals throughout the day is a good idea anyway, as well as keeping your pups quiet after they eat. Being able to recognize the early signs of bloat will go a long way in making treatment successful as well. We lost one of our danes to bloat and I will never forget the awful sound of him attempting to vomit. Educate yourself on the signs and you'll feel better.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Snowball Brian, Apr 9 10:45 pm

Great Dane > How much does your Dane eat? How much does it cost to feed? Just curious!

Diesel

My head- rattles...

Barked: Mon Mar 2, '09 3:18pm PST 
We have three kids, two are danes that weigh between 165 and 175lbs and a 65lb Aussie mix. We feed Canidae ALS and go through about 35lbs a week. We had my parents over this weekend and they saw our dog food stash (about 3 bags) and asked if we found a sale on the stuff...lol, I just don't like going to the pet store once a week.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Duke, Jun 3 2:49 pm

Great Dane > Pet beds
Diesel

My head- rattles...

Barked: Tue Jul 1, '08 3:49pm PST 
We use beds from Costco too, we tried crib mattresses but diesel ate them both! Right down to the coils...crazy dog. He doesnt seem to bother the regular dog beds though...
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Toby, Aug 17 10:23 am

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.