GO!

(Page 1 of 28: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Choosing the Right Dog > dream show dog / working dog
Desoto

Bird Whisperer

Barked: Mon Sep 12, '11 5:06pm PST 
It varies on any given day but...
Show: Rough Collie. I loved mine, such beautiful dogs and not that hard to keep looking beautiful

Working: Australian cattle dog. Hardy, tough, athletic, medium sized, loyal and smart. In a perfect world I will be back living in the country on a little farm on day and they are my number one Ranch Dog pick.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Chance, Sep 22 12:48 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Dog Breed for All Sizes
Desoto

Bird Whisperer

Barked: Sun Aug 28, '11 9:52am PST 
Tiny: LC Chihuahua, Papillion

Small: Westie, Sheltie

Medium: Aussie, ACD, Cocker

Large: Collie, Standard Poodle, GSD

X-Large: Borzoi, Greater Swiss Mountain Dog

Giant: Newfie, Great Pyr
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Sophie, Aug 29 12:37 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Intimidating looking breeds

Desoto

Bird Whisperer

Barked: Thu Jul 14, '11 4:28pm PST 
There is only one breed that throws me of and its not so much intimidated as creeped out, and that is weimaraners (glad to know I am not the only onelaugh out loud) its a combo of the solid grey and light eyes and those bloody William Wegman photos/videos where there is a human body and a dog head. They creeped me out as a kid and they still kind of do know.
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by Goodman, Jul 21 3:44 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Do You Have A List?

Desoto

Bird Whisperer

Barked: Thu Jul 7, '11 6:44am PST 
My list is a mile long and constantly changing. I want another aussie at some point I think. Collies (rough) are my breed and I would be content to own just a bunch of them, however there are several other breeds I would like to have.

Ones I can easily see myself owning in the near future
Standard poodle (black)
smooth collie
golden retriever
Belgian sheepdog (terv or groenendael)
ACD
kelpie
Coon hound (likely blue tick)
vizsla
Newfoundland (or a great pyr or Saint bernard)
cocker spaniel
chihuahua
papillion
sheltie
westie

The less likely but still possible breeds
Malamute
Akita
Skye terrier
border terrier
borzoi
dalamtion
chesapeake bay retriever
feild spaniel
gordon setter
greater swiss mountain dog (or entlebucher)
pynenean shepherd
tibetan terrier
samoyed
scottie
wire haried fox terrier
Mudi
[notify]
» There has since been 61 posts. Last posting by holly, Jul 24 6:08 pm

Puppy Place > Breed Guess ?

Desoto

Bird Whisperer

Barked: Wed Jul 6, '11 11:25am PST 
I definitely see aussie in the face and a little bit of poodle in the coat. Cute pup!smile
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Fritz, Aug 27 6:04 pm

Puppy Place > Breed guess on Junior
Desoto

Bird Whisperer

Barked: Fri Mar 4, '11 6:41pm PST 
^This.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Sabrina, Mar 5 6:13 pm

Australian Shepherd > Weird Topic, But How Much Does your Standard Aussie Weight???

Desoto

Bird Whisperer

Barked: Fri Mar 4, '11 3:37pm PST 
Desoto (male) weighs around 60 pounds. He is VERY solid and muscular, as such he weighs far more than my border collie who is the same height.
[notify]
» There has since been 17 posts. Last posting by Rizdy, Aug 18 6:30 am

Choosing the Right Dog > A Dog from Each Dog Breed

Desoto

Bird Whisperer

Barked: Thu Mar 3, '11 3:43pm PST 
I will try and keep my list to breeds I could actually likely own one day to keep my list relatively short laugh out loud
Sporting: Cocker spaniel
I think they are adorable, I loved my grandmothers pair and I have met a lot the last couple years that are sweethearts
Others: Goldens, Gordon setters, Field spaniel

Hound: Borzoi
They remind me of collies, elegant and regal.
Others: Coonhound (any variety), Beagle, Elkhound, Greyhound

Working: (I love half of this group)Newfoundland
I have always wanted one, big, lovable teddy bears that you can take to the beach!
Others: Malamute, Leonberger, Saint Bernard, Great Pyrenees, Rottweiler

Terrier: Westies!
My favorite smaller dog (or one of them) I love their attitudes but its not 'too terrier' for me
others: wire haired fox terrier (Beautiful dogs)Staffies

Toy: Papillion
They remind me of miniaturized border collies
others: Chihuahua, CKCS

Non-Sporting: Standard Poodle
Beautiful athletic (totally sporty!) dogs
others: Dalmation

Herding: (I would own any of these dogs!) Collies (rough or smooth)
They own my heart. Loyal, intelligent, friendly, loving, and beautiful!
others: Aussie, ACD, GSD, Belgian Sheepdog

Misc.: Chinook
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by Yo-Yo, Mar 13 9:05 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Choosing A Breed For The Wrong Reason.

Desoto

Bird Whisperer

Barked: Mon Jan 24, '11 12:31pm PST 
Could not agree more.I can't believe how often people tell me their border collie is aggressive because they bark and chase them or their kids. I obsessively researched everything about aussies before I got Desoto, even though I had owned similar breeds previously. I choose the markings based on what I preferred with in the breed but I certainly did not pick the breed based on them. There are several breeds I adore based on their looks such as the Tibetan Mastiff but I know full well they are not right for me.
[notify]
» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by Nicky, Mar 6 9:37 am

Choosing the Right Dog > How did you choose your breed?
Desoto

Bird Whisperer

Barked: Mon Jan 24, '11 8:06am PST 
We had a black GSD (with a smidge of border collie in her) growing up. She was amazing, very well behaved, protective yet excellent with children of all ages, and exceedingly loyal and smart.

When she passed we decided on a border collie in keeping with our love of the herding group. She is all border collie, intense, high drive, but a total sweet heart to EVERYONE (she frequently tries to go home with company) and a great snuggler. When she was 6 months old we looked for a companion and rescued Beau the most beautiful mahogany sable rough collie I have ever met. He melted my heart. He was stunning (yeah, I may be a little shallow), very large for a collie, smart and stoic yet stubborn and unintentionally funny (he was a laugh riot to brush if you would let him, taking the brush from your hands and hiding it, or running behind the leg of the dinning room table, peeking out from behind it, convinced all 28 inches and 85 pounds of him was concealed behind itlaugh out loud They are my heart breed for all these reasons and I look forwards to owning several more of them.

After he passed I could not find a collie breeder I was really pleased with. So I I decided to get an aussie, in keeping with my love of all things herding. I wanted a more muscular, compact herding breed than my border, that was also more protective than her. Aussies fit the bill perfectly. Desoto is intensly loyal, always with me (I'm HIS person) and willing to do anything for me. He has the most personality of any dog I have ever owned or met and constantly keeps me laughing. They are also more laid back than border collies but not as relaxed as my collie was. Aussies certainly fit the bill.

Long story short I love herding breeds intensity, energy, brains, and loyalty. There is not a single breed in the group that I have not contemplated owning at least for a few minutes and there will always be one by feet. I hope to own a herd/flock guardian breed in the future, we get a lot of Great Pyrenees in rescues around here so one may be my next. I also would like to own a a smaller easier to cuddle dog at some point, a golden (who doesn't love a golden?)and a cocker
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by , Feb 14 8:47 am

(Page 1 of 28: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.