Postings by Cooper

GO!

(Page 1 of 11: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  

Choosing the Right Dog > Pug question
Cooper

Coopiepoo!!!

Barked: Thu Mar 21, '13 5:40pm PST 
It's either a mixed breed or a different breed entirely.

The skin itself can turn black with age and various skin conditions, but not the coat.

Pugs don't carry any sort of gene that could result in a black belly.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Milton, Mar 23 6:59 pm

Behavior & Training > Analee is getting sassy, what do I do?
Cooper

Coopiepoo!!!

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '13 9:19am PST 
Is she unaltered by chance?

This sounds like typical "in heat" attitude to me......

If that's not what it is please don't meet her defiance with aggression or force in an attempt to get her to comply. This has nothing to do with pack order. Something in her experience has led her to dislike the basement....whether it be the difference in temps, and uncomfy bed, the cats, the noise of a utility room, the difference in flooring or whatever. She certainly shouldn't be punished for the fact that she obviously doesn't like it and doesn't want to be down there.

Leashing her up and forcing her to go despite her feelings isn't going to do anything to change her mind.

I'd encourage her to follow if I really cared for her to join me, but otherwise I'd just drop it.

If she's showing aggression on the bed simply prevent her from being up there by closing the bedroom door. I'm sure that leashing her and forcing her compliance is what's led to that desperate response and once you start considering why she feels so strongly you'll better understand why she might have a reason to.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Jan 16 6:17 am

Puppy Place > Peeing outside.

Cooper

Coopiepoo!!!

Barked: Tue Dec 18, '12 12:22pm PST 
Make sure when you are taking her outside that it's frequently (once every hour or half hour when you're home is a good starting point). Always to the same spot. Praise to high heavens and offer treats when she goes.

In the house she needs to be crated or tethered to you to keep her from accidents. Make sure you are taking her outside every single time she eats or drinks anything. Watch her closely, if she starts to sniff around intently get her out then too.

Clean up all accidents with an enzymatic cleaner to remove all traces so she doesn't sniff out and use that spot again way to go
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Lexus, Dec 22 7:43 pm

Small Dogs > How to get picky shih tzu to eat his dog food?

Cooper

Coopiepoo!!!

Barked: Sun Jun 3, '12 12:30pm PST 
Peach - to clarify, I never said water or egg was bad.

I said adding peanut butter, processed gravy toppers, seasonings and cheeses is.

Because they are.

The nutritional value is right there in the ingredients. None are a species appropriate or healthy addition to a dogs daily diet.
[notify]
» There has since been 25 posts. Last posting by Flicka ~ CGC, Jan 16 7:20 am

Cooper

Coopiepoo!!!

Barked: Sun Jun 3, '12 9:25am PST 
"Maybe some people disagree with me, but my dog is so fussy and stubborn and I decided that it was better to 'cater' to him than allow him to starve himself..."

Repeat - he wouldn't ordinarily starve himself. Dogs aren't born fussy and stubborn about food. It goes against the one instinct every animals has and needs to stay alive.

You are however *creating* a dog that might eventually starve himself if you keep trying to help him out of this mess only to cave back in. He's now established that you'll totally give in if he just holds out as long as a week. That's incredibly dangerous.

If you had a child that refused to eat anything without candy sprinkled all over it would you continue to sprinkle candy on all of his food just to get him to eat it?

I'm sorry, but I would never do that to my dogs.

My sister has a 6-7lb shih-tzu, Bella. I had to watch her for a couple of weeks after the birth of her daughter. Between my mother and sister's doing the dog came with a bag FULL of toppers, gravies, canned foods, shredded cheese sprinklings, parmesan, lowreys etc -AND- the food came with wetting, warming and then feeding instructions that included me sitting on the floor right next to her bowl for nearly an hour and feeding her pretty much kibble by kibble every single bite.

I told them sure, no problem, and they left.

Then twice a day I put her kibble and kibble alone down in the same spot in the kitchen and walked away. At first she'd follow me when I walked away and look at me as if wondering why aren't you on the floor at my dish with your hands in my food and face? Then she started staying at the dish but looking at the food as if she'd never even seen plain kibble before. Then she dug her heels in and refused to even acknowledge me when I scooped her food and put it down. That lasted several days. Frankly, I didn't care. It was a brat attitude and I don't have the time or want to have to deal with a dog like that. I love my kids and I love my dogs. Any attitude that is going to hinder their health and well being will NOT be tolerated under my watch.

It occurred to me then maybe she was catered to sooooo excessively she simply forgot how to eat normally. I threw some kibble in one night and let my pug have at it in her dish. He eats raw, and snorted at the kibble like what the heck is this? but then puggy instinct kicked in he happily inhaled it. She stared, seemingly in horror lol. On the second day of that she went and sat by the dish after he was done and then started licking the sides. I threw a couple of pieces in and then walked away again. Over the next few days I added more and more pieces of kibble to what I was offering and she'd happily DEVOUR more and more until she was up to her whole quarter of a cup daily. I never put more in than she would consume and still be left hungry for more.

Took almost the full two weeks and yes she dropped a bit of weight but it was worth it. I refused to return the bag of topper crap. I explained to both my mother and my sister, this is how you feed a dog - kibble scoop, dump, walk away. She inhaled and they were SHOCKED. But also incredibly grateful. They now spend the time they used to have to waste sitting on the floor with her trying to convince her to eat every single individual kibble going on walks with her instead. She never got walked before because at the end of the day there just wasn't any time between that and trying to keep her alive.

People think that catering with ridiculously fatty and unhealthy sodium filled toppers will keep weight on a picky dog but Bella has never weighed more or been healthier since she started eating like a normal dog. Her quality of life has improved exponentially since the people in her life stopped keeping her picky.

I do hope OP that you are eventually able to get your dog out of such a dangerous cycle. The longer you allow it to go on the more perilous the situation becomes, not only in regards to being able to keep any weight on the dog but those toppers usually aren't healthy at all...peanut butter daily all over the food? Do people realize how much sodium and sugar is in that? Gravy toppers, seasonings and cheeses are exactly the same. Long term that's practically begging for pancreatitis and heart, liver and kidney diseases.
[notify]
» There has since been 27 posts. Last posting by Flicka ~ CGC, Jan 16 7:20 am

Cooper

Coopiepoo!!!

Barked: Fri Jun 1, '12 11:37pm PST 
Stop switching kibbles.

Stop adding toppers.

Stop catering to him.

Once you do he'll stop expecting you to and begin eating like a normal dog.

Put the food down, give him 20 minutes to eat it, then pick it up. You can do that twice a day. Offer it at the same times every single day, the same thing every single day.

He will not starve himself.
[notify]
» There has since been 31 posts. Last posting by Flicka ~ CGC, Jan 16 7:20 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Why do People want Teacup Dogs?

Cooper

Coopiepoo!!!

Barked: Sun Apr 29, '12 5:09pm PST 
Lilith, I get asked all the time if Cooper is a "miniature pug" because although he was backyard bred he's not morbidly obese or giant compared to standard.
[notify]
» There has since been 27 posts. Last posting by , May 2 5:56 pm

Puppy Place > Help me pick a carrier (sling)

Cooper

Coopiepoo!!!

Barked: Sun Apr 29, '12 12:27pm PST 
I've never had a hard time controlling my dogs big or small by keeping them on a simple short leash, but if you are struggling and need to keep him in a bag better that than letting your dog get trouble or hurt I suppose.

I hope it doesn't impact his socialization though, good luck.
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Frankie, May 4 8:52 pm

Puppy Place > Help me pick a carrier (sling)

Cooper

Coopiepoo!!!

Barked: Sun Apr 29, '12 11:51am PST 
Why do you need to carry him around?

Why not just let him walk?
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by Frankie, May 4 8:52 pm

Behavior & Training > Pug marking inside
Cooper

Coopiepoo!!!

Barked: Thu Mar 15, '12 6:12pm PST 
Crate train, keep him tethered to you when he's out so you're right there to intercept any accidents and clean up with an enzymatic cleaner smile
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Rock-E, Mar 16 5:30 am

(Page 1 of 11: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.