GO!

(Page 1 of 19: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  

Service & Therapy Dogs > dogs and hospital visits
Bretta - **Guardian- Angel Now**

10/2005 RIP- 12/2008

Barked: Mon Apr 1, '13 12:04am PST 
For Therapy Dogs:

Prior to signing with a national/international program, you need to check with the locations you'd most like to volunteer to see what program(s) are currently servicing them. Some programs will allow you to volunteer with more than one program while others won't.

Once you get your training, pass all required testing and sign with a program (they either certify or register you and the dog as a team and supply you with info on your program benefits such as insurance coverage), you then sign up at the location you wish to volunteer.

Keep in mind that each program has its own rules. One of the more well known programs no longer accepts raw fed dogs. Certain grooming and bathing requirements are pretty universal.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Bretta **Guardian Angel Now**, Apr 1 12:04 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Help finding a trainer for fear managment

10/2005 RIP- 12/2008

Barked: Thu Jan 17, '13 9:03am PST 
Barking is not considered an acceptable act/alert, especially in the type of situation you have mentioned.

Having read your previous posts, I think you aren't understanding some of the terminology used. Several items on that list are just creative ways of making the normal benefits of having a dog sound like actual tasks. For example: Increase safety in public isn't a task/work (by US case law; I realize you are in Canada. Last I checked, their task/work definitions are still in-line with ours). In general, most dogs act as a deterrent just by their presence; it is a normal benefit of having a dog.

Using a dog for fear management can have several meanings. The most beneficial would most likely be using CBT and self checks and depending on how your using the dog in that, can be tied to reducing hype- vigilance. The big part of all of that is YOU having proper, working coping tools to use; without them, none of this works.

As far as alerting to people behind you, you'd have to decide on a realistic distance, with the help of a trainer.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by thunder, Jan 19 5:44 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Therapy Dog on Hawaiian Airlines to Hawaii

10/2005 RIP- 12/2008

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '12 7:07pm PST 
Guest, you might want to check the dates on stuff you are replying to; this thread is 2 years old.
[notify]
» There has since been -1 posts. Last posting by Bretta **Guardian Angel Now**, Dec 5 7:07 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Reusing SDiT gear until new can be bought.?

10/2005 RIP- 12/2008

Barked: Mon Sep 24, '12 11:17am PST 
Yep, don't know what happened there.

I don't care how HUGE he is, he's still a puppy with growing joints. Keeping the pack perfectly weighted, especially when it comes to water/gatorade) is impossible. Nowhere in your previous post did you mention waiting, hence the warning. You've also previously mentioned (against others' advice) your intent that he spend some time in class and on campus this school year.

Yes, people re-use gear ALL THE TIME provided it is in appropriate condition and fits the animal.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Bretta **Guardian Angel Now**, Sep 24 11:17 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Reusing SDiT gear until new can be bought.?

10/2005 RIP- 12/2008

Barked: Sun Sep 23, '12 2:34pm PST 
Just a reminder, but a puppy (
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Bretta **Guardian Angel Now**, Sep 24 11:17 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > My dog as a therapy just because of being him

10/2005 RIP- 12/2008

Barked: Sat Aug 4, '12 12:54pm PST 
Trigger....I'll go point by point from what the OP wrote...

Point 1. Panic over sudden realization of travel woes
I was pretty fine with that until last week when my visa was approved, suddenly I realize my little dog could not make it through the flight and I got very anxyous.

The last couple of days I was barely sleeping, I've been doing quite bad in my job and I explored all ways to bring him into the cabin with me, and I think I found the way today.

Point 2
I know I'm going to loose him one day, but I just can't afford it being on a plane. I fear that too much because I know the guilt will get me very depressed, and that is something that scares me.

Point 3 re-read the whole thing, he never says he's been dx'd just that his mother has. He also doesn't state that there has been a history of anxiety, just that anxiety started after the visa was approved (the first quote italicized in point 1)

Point 4 gets muddied but he states the in-laws aren't backing him up

No where does he mention being dx'd with a MI or otherwise being disabled; just sudden anxiousness when he found out travel with a dog would be difficult. Nowhere does he mention the dog actually doing anything other than its presence being therapy. The ADA explicitly states that emotional support is NOT a task or work and dogs that only provide that are NOT Service Dogs.

If the OP had come in and stated they had been dx'd, we'd still be saying the dog doesn't meet the definition of a SD, but may meet the definition of an ESA. A 14 year old dog isn't a candidate any way you look at it.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Lucille, Aug 6 8:54 am

10/2005 RIP- 12/2008

Barked: Fri Aug 3, '12 8:59pm PST 
Trigger,

1. From the post, the panic is due to the sudden realization they can't just bring the dog in cabin as a pet.
2. concern over the dog's age for it to travel as checked baggage/cargo
3. The person admits they haven't been dx'd with any sort of MI, let alone be disabled by one. Having a family member with one is irrelevant.
4. The wife and her family aren't supportive of his desire to perpetuate fraud.

From what was written, no one is playing armchair MD. It's rather obvious he views the law as written as a loophole. I suspect the dog either weighs too much to be a carry on pet or when they tried to make the reservation, all the in-cabin pet slots were full, hence my advice, shop airlines. If the in-cabin pet slots were full, it's just a matter of changing your departure; yes it costs $ to do it, but that is what law abiding citizens do.

Claiming a 14 year old dog as a SD just so you don't have to put it in checked baggage/cargo is fraud. There is a huge issue with people faking SDs, particularly PSDs and to a lesser extent ESAs. It has already pushed the airlines into requiring that PSDs provide documentation 48 hours in advance of flying.
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Lucille, Aug 6 8:54 am

10/2005 RIP- 12/2008

Barked: Fri Aug 3, '12 4:42am PST 
Committing fraud is not the answer and you would most likely be caught/denied on the flight. Depending on his size, you could look at the various airlines weight allowances for in-cabin pets (which means he must be in a soft sided crate that fits under the seat in front of you).
[notify]
» There has since been 22 posts. Last posting by Lucille, Aug 6 8:54 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Czechoslovakian /German Shepherds

10/2005 RIP- 12/2008

Barked: Wed May 23, '12 5:55pm PST 
Moulder's last paragraph really summed them up; they aren't for the average person.
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by Angel Lou, May 28 1:33 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Doberman as a service dog

10/2005 RIP- 12/2008

Barked: Wed May 9, '12 9:32am PST 
As a guest, you don't have pawmail options.

Second, there are many other breeds that are soo much better suited to being a PSD. Don't get me wrong, Dobies can make excellent SDs for other disabilities.

Most breeders don't cruise sites if they are thinking about donating dogs; they generally contact established programs.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Dogster HQ, May 9 3:19 pm

(Page 1 of 19: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.