Postings by In Loving Memory of Chance

GO!

(Page 1 of 39: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Dog Laws & Legislation > The PitBull Discussion
In Loving- Memory of- Chance

The dog who- didn't stand a- chance

Barked: Sat Feb 9, '13 6:19pm PST 
Regarding small dog owners picking their dogs up, you shouldn't always take it personally. Sometimes they are just being biased bigots. However, that isn't always the case. With Sandy, I tend to avoid most terriers - pit bull, yorkie, etc - on walks. Not because I think they're bad dogs, but because Sandy doesn't get along with terriers. I may walk past (as I find it ideal to get her used to being around them, at the very least), but I'll cross the street to avoid walking right next to you. She got used to Lilo, but that took a lot of time. I find a lot of pit bull owners take things too personally. Though, having had Lilo for many years, I can understand why.

I wouldn't say pit bulls are the sweetest dogs I've ever owned. But they're pretty high up there - if they are well raised AND well bred (yes, despite what many bully advocates will tell you, genetics DO play a large role in a dog's disposition). They were bred, after all, to be as people friendly as possible. For the sport they were expected to perform they had to be tolerant of their handlers. So, they were and are exceptionally loyal dogs. But "sweetest dog" is subjective. There is only one sweetest dog, and every dog owner has him. wink

Many pit bull owners I have known have been far too defensive, even for my liking. I was attacked by dogs a few years ago. Not pit bulls, but I always leave breed out regardless as their breed had nothing to do with it (rather than their upbringing, which was poor). Still, to this day, I'm a bit afraid around big dogs who I do not know. I'll be on edge and may even refuse to enter a house until I've interacted with them while they are on leash. Most big dog owners seem to understand this and give me time to warm up to the dog. But as soon as I tell this to a pit bull owner, they jump on me accusing me of being "one of those", completely ignoring the fact that I have Princess and had Lilo at home and loved them very much. It was never against the breed, but many people who have been attacked by animals may carry a fear for some years. [i]This is normal[/i]. If you are like me and trying to get over the fear, I do not see why people would jump down your throat and accuse you of being prejudice of their dog. I love pit bulls, I always will. But I will be afraid of strange, large dogs until I get past the fear I developed after the attack a few years back.

Many other pit bull owners, though, are pretty chill. I love these people. You know the type. They love their dog and they don't need approval from anyone. They know that their opinion about the dog is the only one that matters. They fight for their rights as dog owners. They fight BSL, may even help a pit bull rescue. But they are less likely to accuse you of being a bigot, and more likely to attempt to educate you in a kind, polite way. Pit bull owners, really, are as different as the dogs they own. (For once again, upbringing and genetics play a role in pit bulls and all dogs)

Most pit bulls I have met have been very friendly dogs. Many of them (a vast majority, actually) have been hyper. But that's to be expected from a working breed (and a breed with "terrier" in the name). I have only met a couple aggressive ones and they have all been in bad situations (over bred or outside on a chain neglected if not both). I have met one reactive one, but reactivite and aggressive are not one in the same. I disagree with BSL. It's a "solution" to a problem that doesn't really exist. It's easy to blame the dogs. Easy because the people that do are angry and want to find a scapegoat. The problem, however, was never the dogs. It has always been the owners and the breeders. It was people when it was Dobermans. It was people when it was Rottweilers. It was people when it was Akitas, and "wolf dogs", and German shepherd dogs. It is people now that it is pit bulls, and it will be people when society attacks the next breed.
[notify]
» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by Mika, Feb 13 8:27 pm

Senior Dogs > 10 years on the chain

Barked: Tue Feb 5, '13 3:27pm PST 
Possible? With the right diet, it could be. I've seen senior dogs come from terrible lives, looking like they're very close to the end. And yet, go to a new home, get put on an adequate diet, and make a complete turn around.

Of course, this would all depend on what's wrong with his back end. I'm no expert. It could be arthritis. Lilo and Chance both suffered from it near the end. And with both of them, there would be some weakness in their back end. The right supplements (speak to your vet before getting any) helped a lot. Some days were better than others, nevertheless.

When in doubt, the best thing to do is always consult a vet. It sounds like he has a lot more mobility than my two late seniors had in their last months. So, that's certainly a good sign. But a vet's opinion would not hurt.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Neo, Feb 8 8:28 pm

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > how do we prepare?

Barked: Wed Oct 5, '11 11:24am PST 
Yes and no.

I don't think we can ever be completely prepared for the silence that follows a loss. Though, many of us go through what's called anticipatory grief. I did for Chance and I do feel that it helped ease the loss a little. I thought for sure that Chance was going to pass away way back in 2007. He started slowing down a lot. But a change of diet and he picked back up. I did go through a bit of anticipatory grieving for him. Well, a lot, actually. In 2007, I realized how old he was really getting and that his time with us very well could be slimming. When he passed away in his sleep in 2009, I was hurt. He'd been with us for my teenage years and my early adult years. I was losing not only a friend, but a family member. Still, I'd already been in my grieving. So, I feel I moved through it faster for him than I did for Cinnamon. Still, I wasn't prepared in the literal sense. His loss still affected me quite badly. I don't think anyone can be prepared in the literal sense. The best piece of advice I can give is to not worry about it too much. Enjoy every moment with your senior dog and never waste a second. This goes for any dog, of any age.

hug
[notify]
» There has since been 26 posts. Last posting by Merlin (In loving memory), Jan 23 8:08 am

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > Miss You Old Man

Barked: Fri Jul 29, '11 2:38pm PST 
There's something about the charm of the bulldog breeds...

Rommel, my thoughts are with your family today. RIP from one bully to another. hug
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Roxanne "IN LOVING MEMORY", Jul 31 8:50 pm

Senior Dogs > keep senior dogs moving!

Barked: Wed Jul 27, '11 12:58pm PST 
We never really could walk Chance off leash. In his younger days, he could go for a small walk around the neighborhood but eventually, he'd lie down and we'd have to carry him home. This was on account of rickets that he'd developed before we found him. Despite it, though, he managed to love his walks.

In his old age, he, also, began to develop arthritis. In his senior days, walking him was even harder. He'd lie down halfway down the street and carrying him wasn't easy. It never had been, really. But we were having to carry him more frequently in his older days. He was lucky, though. We had a large fenced in yard at our former house. He would run around the yard until he tired out, lie down, sleep for a while, and then go again. That last year, though, his arthritis began bugging him more and more and he began running less and less. We tried to allow him to keep moving as much as we could. I don't know whether or not it helped him, but I like to think it did.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Sumo, Jul 28 7:08 am

Senior Dogs > Paranoid

Barked: Mon Jul 25, '11 11:23pm PST 
It's good to have an understanding vet. I honestly can't imagine going through this with one that isn't understanding, you know. I'm glad you have an understanding vet, as well. The shock definitely is the worst, though. Thank you. I'll keep that in mind. hug
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Cyril, Jul 30 8:51 am

Senior Dogs > Paranoid

Barked: Thu Jul 21, '11 9:34am PST 
I'm actually finding comfort knowing that it's normal, too.

After Cinnamon passed in January, I've been quite anxious about my other dogs. I watch them like hawks and I can't get rid of nagging thoughts that they could get sick, too. I'm not going to lie, the past six months, I've been bugging my vet about every little thing I notice in them. She understands, though. She said it was normal, too, but actually seeing that it is is comforting. I was a nervous wreck and still am. And heck, I was prepared for Chance... but I still get paranoid when I look at Lilo and see a lot of the early signs of ageing that I saw in him once.

Just, enjoy your pup while she's with you. Continue doing everything you have already been doing for her. It's better to not dwell on their age. There's something amazing about owning a senior dog... there really is. They teach us a lot. This would be an example of one of those things, I guess.

ETA: I think a lot of the reason I'm paranoid after Cinnamon is quite similar to yours, Buddy. She was perfectly fine the day before and healthy. It kind of left me in shock, I guess. Shock that I'm still in.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Cyril, Jul 30 8:51 am

Senior Dogs > How long might she live?

Barked: Tue Apr 19, '11 5:15pm PST 
There's no telling, to be perfectly frank. Little dogs tend to have longer life spans than their larger cousins, at least. So, you could easily have another six years with her. I find that when you have a middle age-senior dog, not thinking about it all the time is a good thing to do. Just don't dwell on age and enjoy the time you two do still have.

With Chance, we thought he was ready to pass away way back in 2006. He was aging and he was ageing fast. He lived another two 1/2 years, however. Another two, happy, healthy years. He passed away in '09, peacefully in his sleep. Even though I'd been well aware that he was a senior and his time was limited, I didn't let it scare me too often. Because I knew he'd had a good life.
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Ellie CGC, May 6 1:02 am

Senior Dogs > Welcome to Dogster\'s Senior Dog Forum

Barked: Wed Mar 9, '11 5:34pm PST 
A senior forum is pretty neat. blue dog

I'm Chance and I'm at the rainbow bridge now, but I was about eleven when I passed away. I was definitely considered a senior for my breed. wave
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by The Wee Beasties, Apr 25 6:47 pm

Dog Health > Toenail fell out...

Barked: Mon Dec 27, '10 1:01pm PST 
Something similar happened to Chance at one point. I was bathing him, happened to lift up his front paw, and noticed he was bleeding rather badly. He'd lost a nail, too. And was also on anti-biotics and the works. I think I was more worried about it than he was. BOL But the point is, eventually, it did grow back.

I wonder what they do to make themselves lose a toenail... I may never know.

shrug
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Mojo, Dec 27 1:21 pm

(Page 1 of 39: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.