Postings by Lisa

GO!

(Page 1 of 110: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Behavior & Training > Is there another dog forum we can ALL move to?
Lisa

Always my angel.

Barked: Mon Jan 20, '14 6:07pm PST 
As a general rule, how about we all use the full URL and/or link to whatever forum we're talking about from now on? This thread is moving so quickly that I can't find any of the links you guys are discussing except for The Dog Snobs forum, which as other people have noted isn't up yet.

If anyone's going to Dogforum.com, my username there is LisasGirl. You can create pet pages there as well, but it's pretty basic - just photos, nicknames, what your dog likes to do, that kind of thing. So far I really like the vibe in the forums conversations - it's active, friendly, and has an interesting back-and-forth between users. It's also got a big enough userbase that newbies wander into it and ask questions. So that's a plus. As far as the reasons I go to Dogster, the only thing missing there is you all. wink

Can someone link me to the proboards and such that people are going to? I'm happy to bookmark whatever sites the rest of y'all are going to.
[notify]
» There has since been 348 posts. Last posting by Shiver Me Timbers "Charlie", Feb 19 10:27 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Maybe a shepherd isn't a great idea....
Lisa

Always my angel.

Barked: Fri Jan 17, '14 11:25am PST 
Well, if you're looking for an active dog who would do well in things like dog sports and bite work, you're going to need a dog with at least some drive. You don't need a dog that's off-its-rocker drivey, but you'll still be looking for something smart, driven, and high-energy. And honestly I can't think of any dog that hits all three of those and isn't a bit difficult in its puppy years.

I think if you don't care too much about the dog being a super-duper-grand champion, and you just want to compete for fun, and you don't want to deal with a pushy/mischievous/difficult teenage dog, then why not look for a rescue GSD? I'm sure there are plenty out there who are too much for a casual suburban home but just right for a hobby competitor.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Jan 19 4:21 pm

Lisa

Always my angel.

Barked: Fri Jan 17, '14 11:18am PST 
Pet360 has potential, but I agree that it's pretty difficult to navigate, and the boards are too segregated IMO. For example, under Behavior and Training, there are separate boards for Separation Anxiety, Dog Pettiquette, and Training Chats (which has a completely different format from the other two boards), all of which could easily be combined into one general Training board. If all of those topics were active enough that discussions frequently got lost, I could see separating them out. But when you're just looking for casual discussion about dog behavior in general, it's hard to know where to put it and it takes a lot of effort to find what you're looking for.

Personally, though, I don't care too much about learning a new format as long as there's a place that's active and well set up for the kind of free-ranging discussions we used to have. I'm also not too attached to pet pages - for me they were always much more perk than necessity. They're nice, but I don't need them. The community conversations are what I care about.
[notify]
» There has since been 514 posts. Last posting by Shiver Me Timbers "Charlie", Feb 19 10:27 pm

Lisa

Always my angel.

Barked: Thu Jan 16, '14 4:48pm PST 
I've seen lots of new, free forums languish and die off pretty quickly. I feel like our numbers and posting rate are already down enough that we'd be unlikely to build things back up in the way that I am imagining, at least, in any kind of timely manner. We're better off just migrating somewhere that's at least reasonably active and compatible with what we've had here. Could be my attempt to be practical is falling into pessimism, but that's how I see things.

Personally I'm still leaning toward dogforums.com, though they don't have the awesome pet profiles like we had here. I'll follow the group, of course, but I'm considering setting up an account there anyway. wink
[notify]
» There has since been 560 posts. Last posting by Shiver Me Timbers "Charlie", Feb 19 10:27 pm

Lisa

Always my angel.

Barked: Thu Jan 16, '14 4:32pm PST 
I agree this community is special...I took a break from it a little over year ago (and many other online communities, so please don't feel snubbed laugh out loud ) and now I'm back and it's like a ghost town. Spam bots everywhere and very little of the lively conversation I used to enjoy. I'm worried about a brand new forum, though - it usually takes a really long time for those to build up new members, and I think having input from lots of people (including newbies) was something I liked around here. Not that I don't like just talking to you all, but it seems like we'd be less active all on our own.

To be honest, dogforums.com looks promising, if we could all find each other there and get involved. It's fairly active and covers many of the same topics. I'm not as familiar with it, though, so someone let me know if there are glaring issues. I just think if we all went together, we'd have a better shot at transforming an existing community rather than trying to jumpstart our own.

I discovered PoodleForum.com a while back when I was doing breed research, and it's a nice enough starting point, though it is breed-specific. Dogforums.com looks like a nice all-breed translation of that. We'd just have to make accounts named after our dogs so we can find each other there. wink

EDIT: Does anyone know where (if anywhere) any of the other former active Dogsters have gone off to? Maybe we can just follow them.
[notify]
» There has since been 565 posts. Last posting by Shiver Me Timbers "Charlie", Feb 19 10:27 pm

Behavior & Training > 14 Week Old...discourage whining
Lisa

Always my angel.

Barked: Wed Jan 15, '14 1:52pm PST 
Personally, I look over if a dog whines but otherwise ignore her if she's not obviously in pain or in need (ie, whining for a good reason). So if she's whining for attention or in order to get out of a crate or other confined space, I always ignore the behavior and never give her what she wants until she stops whining. I might say something quick, like, "I hear you" or "Hush" or "That's enough" (always in a neutral, breezy kind of voice - neither scolding nor consoling), but I don't actually go over there and do whatever she's looking for.

If she's whining when you leave, then your best bets are to make sure she's as occupied as possible while you leave and while you're gone. Get her good and tired out in the morning before you go, too, as that often takes the edge off. Go for a walk, play a lot, do some training, or all of the above (and with a heeler, I definitely recommend all of the above!). If you're especially lucky, she might head off to go to sleep and never notice that you left.

Next, give her some fun things to chew on or play with that are likely to occupy her for a long time. Stuffing a Kong with peanut butter and freezing it overnight works well, as does pretty much any other frozen-solid treat. Just make sure she doesn't chew it over a carpeted floor just in case it takes her a while. Puzzle toys, if she'll play with them, are another good way to keep her occupied. You can also try hiding treats or chews around the area in which she's confined, as that gives her new things to find and get excited about over the course of the day. Make sure you designate some things as stuff she only gets when you leave, so she starts to develop a more positive association with you being gone.

At her age, she's probably just going to whine when you leave no matter what you do. Just don't acknowledge it. And don't make leaving a big deal, either - it's very tempting to say a drawn-out goodbye and give her extra cuddles before you go because you know that she'll be sad, but your emphasis should be on making your exit as drama-free as possible. Just briskly-but-happily put her in her confined area, give her her Kong or other chew toy (leave it next to her if she won't take it from you) and walk on out the door. She may whine at first but most pups settle down after a few minutes.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Bunny, Jan 19 4:07 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > A Rescue vs Rehome Rant

Lisa

Always my angel.

Barked: Tue Jan 14, '14 4:53pm PST 
I do actually know some rescue organizations who have lied or misrepresented a pet's issues in order to get them into a new home. Just recently a friend adopted a cat from a rescue who claimed that he was a little shy, but would settle in if she gave him some space. She brought the cat home and found that in fact he is near-feral and only allowed her to pet him at the adoption event because he was in a small crate with a door in the top, and he couldn't avoid being pet in that situation. Now she's looking to return him to the rescue, because she isn't and wasn't equipped to deal with a skittish feral cat who hisses and scratches every time she comes near (after nearly two months in the home). If the rescue had been honest, she never would've taken him, and I'm sure the rescue knew that. So of course in the short term they got a cat placed, but since it's not a good placement it hasn't done any good for the cat, the adopter, or the rescue who has to take the cat back.

When you can't trust a rescue organization to be straight with you about a pet's issues, how are you supposed to trust someone without that rescue background? It's a tough one.

I had to laugh stumbling upon this today, as I just got an email from a family member about a coworker of theirs who's trying to find homes for three little dogs. I was IMMEDIATELY suspicious and found myself falling into some of the thinking traps outlined here - what's wrong with the dogs, why aren't they working through a rescue, assuming the people are irresponsible, etc. etc. Of course that isn't a helpful attitude at all, and I see that.

In ANY pet-buying situation, you should ask tons of questions, investigate as best you can, and then carefully think about how you can handle any surprises. That rule should go for breeders, rescues, and owner rehomes equally - and if that's what you're doing, there's no reason to be particularly suspicious of someone just because they don't have a 501(c).
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Bianca CGC TT HIC Thd ♥, Jan 19 10:20 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Scared to ever adopt rescue dogs again

Lisa

Always my angel.

Barked: Tue Jan 14, '14 3:57pm PST 
I think I relate to this feeling, Scruffy - my own dog search has been pretty heartbreaking over the past year, though I was more often doing foster-to-adopt situations and thus was able to return the dogs to the rescue (and their new homes!) without much drama. It's just very disappointing and draining for me - regular fostering I could do, but getting a dog into my home with the intention of keeping it and then having to back off is pretty upsetting for me. I think some of our reasons for being frustrated are different (mine has more to do with lifestyle/personality factors and variables outside my control than just health issues), but I definitely get the feeling.

What I've done is like a few other people mentioned in this thread - I just stepped back and took a break from the focused search. If the right one comes along then that's great, but for now I need some time and clarity. I'm volunteering at the local shelter, so I'm getting my dog time in AND I'm available if a stellar prospect suddenly shows up.

For me it's important to take my time and be sure, because I tend to misstep or get tunnel-vision when I get too focused on finding the right thing RIGHT NOW. I'm willing to keep an eye out and keep an ear to the ground, so to speak, but I fully expect this to take time and I'm putting my main focus on other things in the meantime.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Scruffy, Jan 15 11:17 am

Behavior & Training > We NEED a more reliable recall... asap

Lisa

Always my angel.

Barked: Fri Sep 20, '13 2:58pm PST 
I'm not working with a husky, but when the foster with no recall bolts out the door, the only thing that works consistently is to grab a handful of his favorite treats, sit on the ground, and cheerfully try to get his attention. Sometimes I call to him and run the other way, since he likes to chase, and that's good for herding him around but once he's outside he won't come close enough to catch unless I have treats. Chasing him is totally futile, as it is with most dogs, since it turns the whole thing into too much of a game (plus he's faster than I am).

Once he comes over, I let him eat all the treats out of my hand (while I put the other arm around him so I can grab on) and praise him before taking him back inside. He's small enough to pick up, so that works. When I've worked with larger dogs, I've just carefully grabbed their collar - but never so tight that they can particularly feel it, unless I have to physically drag them back inside. In any case, they get all the treats before we go back in, and they're cheerfully welcomed back home.

You have to see coming back to you as a separate thing from running out in the first place. Coming back is good. It's a good thing. It's what you want the dog to do. If they've already run away from you, then there's nothing you can do anymore about that "bad" action. You missed the boat on that, and now you have to focus on the good action.

We're also working on teaching him to wait at doors, and we make sure there's someone around to supervise if one person's going in and out the door a lot. If only one of us is home, he has to go in a back room or stay on leash. Even so, if he gets out he'll end up in a (shared) fenced area, so it's not a total disaster. If he had direct access to a road or something, I would be that much more diligent about making sure he never has unsupervised access to a door.
[notify]
» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by Dr. Watson, Sep 24 9:02 am

Food & Nutrition > Supplementing kibble to kickstart an appetite...is it a slippery slope?
Lisa

Always my angel.

Barked: Fri Sep 20, '13 12:23pm PST 
I've got a foster right now who eats very slowly, and isn't eating the recommended amount for his size. He's also pretty thin, though that could be genetic as it looks like he's got some Italian Greyhound in him.

I've been thinking about supplementing his kibble a little bit and just adding things to it to add flavor so he'll dig into it a little more instead of picking up a piece or two at a time over the course of an hour. Things like mixing in broth, egg whites, etc. just to make it a bit more appetizing.

My concern with this, though, is that it might lead him to avoid his regular plain kibble even more than usual. Has anybody experienced this with their dog? Is there a way to sort of jumpstart his appetite? I've been feeding him on a schedule for the week or so I've had him, and I take the food away after about an hour. He scrounges for food whenever his kibble's not available, so it seems like he's plenty hungry.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Silas, Sep 20 3:33 pm

(Page 1 of 110: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.